Confirmed Trade: [TOR/COL] Tyson Barrie (@50%) , A. Kerfoot, '20 6th for Nazem Kadri, C. Rosen, '20 3rd - Pt.3

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
He would be like 33 when that deal ends lmao. If I was going to hand over 8 years to someone it would be him. Guys like him dont decline quick and he doesnt play a game that relies on physicality or high and speed.
He's 28 and a small defenseman that relies on his speed...Small defenseman generally don't age well, look at Liles.

Reactions: klozge

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Poor guy gets stuck on a contender instead of a rebuilding team....I think it's you we should be feeling sorry for.

Colorado may very well be better than Toronto next season. They also made it out of the first round, and were eliminated in 7 games in the 2nd round. Toronto bowed out early.

But ...OK.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I know it’s early, but I want Muzzin re-signed.

Doesn't make any sense for the same reasons it makes no sense to sign Gardiner. You should put the money where you are weak, and that is RD. If Barrie leaves, then the best RD in the org is Ceci who is also a UFA, followed by Liljegren...

Meanwhile as good as Muzzin has been, he is behind Rielly, you have Dermott ready for top 4 minutes behind him, and Sandin behind him looking like a top 4 D, followed by a ton of bottom pairing projection guys. Really deep on LD.

Not to mention, IMO you sign skill guys into their 30's for big money, not guys known for their physical brand of hockey.

But I agree, the Leafs will miss his presence on the back end.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Colorado may very well be better than Toronto next season. They also made it out of the first round, and were eliminated in 7 games in the 2nd round. Toronto bowed out early.

But ...OK.

There aren't many teams in the league I would take over Boston in a 7 game series. It's unfair to make blanket statements like this when not all matchups are equal. Bruins are a playoff team through and through. The past two seasons have been historic in the months leading up to the playoffs for them.

Meanwhile Calgary has won 1 game in their past 2 playoff appearances. I also agree it's not fair to call Colorado a rebuilding team.

Reactions: Glacious

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV

But ...OK.

Think he was referring to the Canucks

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
$8m or under would be very reasonable AAV. 8 years though. That’s a long time. I think I’d rather do higher AAV for less term, but I guess that’s ultimately Barrie’s call. Somebody would give him 7 years, no question.

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Do Avs fans think committing to him long term would be a good idea? I personally don't think so, but it's hard to say
I don’t think I would give him 8 years/$64M. Maybe 5-6 years. If he makes it to free agency, he could get $9M. He’ll be a hot commodity.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I know it’s early, but I want Muzzin re-signed.
It all depends on Dermott. If he can have a great year and work his way into the top 4 you could have a cheap replacement in house.

I like Muzzin but he will be 31 when his next deal kicks in so if you can get away with a left side of Rielly/Dermott/Sandin for a total cost of less than $10M for the next 3 seasons (If Dermott signs for $2.5-3M, Sandins ELC slides again this year), it could allow you to keep a guy like Barrie and maybe even add another RD on top of Liljegren to the mix.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
There is no way Toronto can afford Barrie at 8m. After this year TO will only have 1 defenseman signed and approx 20m in cap space to fill the roster. Give Barrie 8m of that and there is not much left. The roster would be half filled with minimum wage earners and rookies. Not a great recipe for success. Looking more and more like a Nylander trade might be needed. Trading Marner would be a mistake.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
There is no way Toronto can afford Barrie at 8m. After this year TO will only have 1 defenseman signed and approx 20m in cap space to fill the roster. Give Barrie 8m of that and there is not much left. The roster would be half filled with minimum wage earners and rookies. Not a great recipe for success. Looking more and more like a Nylander trade might be needed. Trading Marner would be a mistake.
Leafs can easily afford Barrie (or Pietrangelo) next summer. Assuming Marners 10m into the budget and a cap of 83, they'll have 18m left over.
Give 8 or 9 to Barrie or Pietrangelo and they'll have 9-10m left over to fill 3rd and 4th line spots. The entire core and second tier will all be locked up. They also have Nylander as a possible trade chip if needed.

Rielly (5) Pietrangelo (9)
Dermott (1.5) --------
Sandin (894K) Liljegren (863K)

I would resign Muzzin if possible to shorter term deal or bite the bullet and go with youth. Liljegren and Sandin could easily be on the roster this year but I'm sure management will keep them down another year just in case.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
You could probably get him around 7 long term. Of course his ask started off higher.

I’d longterm sign him up and Muzzin. Trade Dermott for a similar young RD and bring up Sandin. Muzzin is a second pairing linchpin. You don’t move him for a young Dermott especially with a Sandin coming up.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
You could probably get him around 7 long term. Of course his ask started off higher.

I’d longterm sign him up and Muzzin. Trade Dermott for a similar young RD and bring up Sandin. Muzzin is a second pairing linchpin. You don’t move him for a young Dermott especially with a Sandin coming up.
No you couldn't. He'll get at least 8M.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Leafs can easily afford Barrie (or Pietrangelo) next summer. Assuming Marners 10m into the budget and a cap of 83, they'll have 18m left over.
Give 8 or 9 to Barrie or Pietrangelo and they'll have 9-10m left over to fill 3rd and 4th line spots. The entire core and second tier will all be locked up. They also have Nylander as a possible trade chip if needed.

Rielly (5) Pietrangelo (9)
Dermott (1.5) --------
Sandin (894K) Liljegren (863K)

I would resign Muzzin if possible to shorter term deal or bite the bullet and go with youth. Liljegren and Sandin could easily be on the roster this year but I'm sure management will keep them down another year just in case.

Which is exactly what I said. That in order for the leafs to keep Barrie they will be running their 4th line and bottom 4 D with ELC's and minimum wage earners. Get an injury and thing start getting much worse. If both Liljegren and Sandin prove to be top 4 talents the leafs might be ok. But if either falters or a rash of injuries happen the season can tank quickly. No way you will fit Muzzin as well as Barrie unless Muzzin is willing to take a sizable pay cut. And if Dermott plays top 4 minutes he will cost significantly more than 1.5m. Depth wins cups and the Leafs will have none.

The leafs will need it's entire 4th line, 4 dmen, backup goalie and spare roster player (s) to average 1 m each.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Do Avs fans think committing to him long term would be a good idea? I personally don't think so, but it's hard to say
Yes 100%. If Colorado wasn’t already loaded with young D I’d bet that 8x8 contract (or something close) would already be agreed on.

I have a feeling Barrie won’t want to stay in Toronto though. I feel like Babcock will be an issue. For Barrie to play at his best he needs to be given the green light to 100% play his game. I don’t think Babcock will give him that leash. In fact I have a feeling he’s going to be in the dog house. Barrie’s poor defensive game is sheltered by his ability to push the puck up ice. If Babcock doesn’t allow him to jump in the play as he likes to do every shift it will prevent him from moving the play forward and will expose his defensive shortcomings.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Yes 100%. If Colorado wasn’t already loaded with young D I’d bet that 8x8 contract (or something close) would already be agreed on.

I have a feeling Barrie won’t want to stay in Toronto though. I feel like Babcock will be an issue. For Barrie to play at his best he needs to be given the green light to 100% play his game. I don’t think Babcock will give him that leash. In fact I have a feeling he’s going to be in the dog house. Barrie’s poor defensive game is sheltered by his ability to push the puck up ice. If Babcock doesn’t allow him to jump in the play as he likes to do every shift it will prevent him from moving the play forward and will expose his defensive shortcomings.
Babcock really isn't adverse to d-men joining or leading the rush. He will insist on his defensive responsibilities being met but that goes for all coaches.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Reilly just put up 70+ points in a Babcock system, I think he'll be okay. But I don't see him re-signing there, goes back to the west IMO. Seems like a big west coast guy.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I hope Dubas won't give him more than 5 years, but Barrie won't mind -- guaranteed there's a GM out there that will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->