Confirmed Trade: [TOR/COL] Tyson Barrie (@50%) , A. Kerfoot, '20 6th for Nazem Kadri, C. Rosen, '20 3rd - Pt.3

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Recency bias is a hell of a thing. Go back to the threads after Kadri got suspended for the second consecutive playoffs. There was a strong narrative from other fan bases that he was worthless and no team would take him as a cap dump.

True. But wat HFB members see as value is not the standard one should be using when valuing players. I don't know how many times the NHL and their GMs have proven this as fact. Kadri absolutely had value around the league and I said when this trade was announced that T.O. didn't pull off a steal like many were saying. It's proving to be quite the opposite.

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
I knew Kerfoot would work well with the Leafs. He’s a great player. Avs fans just didn’t like him because he often found himself on the top two lines where he was miscast. Barrie always looks horrible for the first month or two of a season. I think the biggest problem is his play style isn’t what Toronto needed and his high risk style with mediocre defensive ability is amplified by an already questionable Toronto team defence. To be honest with you, I’m really not sure if Toronto will ever like him that much, because they are already a high firepower team and I don’t know if his offensive abilities can justify his defensive liability with that team (and the offence will come)

I love Naz. He’s been exactly what the avs have needed. I still think it’s a fine trade for the two teams. Moving Kerfoot has also allowed jost to move into the 3C spot where he seems to be sparked a little and a lot more comfortable.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I really liked this trade for both teams at the time it was made, and I especially liked it for the Leafs.
But Barrie seems to need a strong defensive D partner as well as defensively responsible forwards in order to have the confidence to perform well offensively. Not sure the Leafs group can provide that but I still think he has the skill to be a good offensive D. He looks really lost both offensively and defensively with the Leafs.
Have to give him some more time to adjust but the early returns are disappointing.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Ya just what the Leafs needed 2 more players without an ounce of grit.

love kadri but he potentially costed us one or maybe 2 2nd round births. Both game 7s were one goal games headed into the 3rd. Who knows what kind of difference he couldve made. He shouldve been traded for a Pesce or Manson kind of player but it is what it is.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
People seem to forget we got Kerfoot in the trade. He’s looked great so far and I would take a Kerfoot - Kadri swap on its own. Kerfoot is signed longer and cheaper, and will produce just as much on the third line. The kid can fly and has a great motor. Kadri’s foot speed went down hill last year and just didn’t fit as the 3C. Let’s give Barrie some more time to adjust. He’ll be a good dman for the Leafs.
I think this was a good trade for both sides but you would trade Kadri for Kerfoot straight up? Is that you Peter Chiarelli? Are you disguised in HF boards?

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
...I would take a Kerfoot - Kadri swap on its own.

Now you have done it. Probably started a civil war on the Avs board. There are still some Avs fans that are sore that we traded away Barrie and now you're saying it was unnecessary to do so to get that coveted 2C? They're not very forgiving their favorite player was traded away.

Reactions: MacBradley

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'm actually surprised by the crappy play of Barrie..... I've given him the benefit of the doubt for a while now.

He really hasn't shown any ability to beat a forward. Basically trying to throw it away the second he gets it.... forcing Muzzin to be the offensively minded guy in the pair.

We will see..but he doesnt look too good. Haven't even really seen a decent shot by him yet either

Reactions: Kallio

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I'm actually surprised by the crappy play of Barrie..... I've given him the benefit of the doubt for a while now.

He really hasn't shown any ability to beat a forward. Basically trying to throw it away the second he gets it.... forcing Muzzin to be the offensively minded guy in the pair.

We will see..but he doesnt look too good. Haven't even really seen a decent shot by him yet either

I agree with is...Barrie hasn't impressed me thus far. Leafs won't even think of re-signing him at this rate

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
The real winners of the trade are Kadri and Kerfoot. Kadri never would been a top 6 Center again if he stayed with Toronto unless an injury occurred and he will get much more pp time in Colorado.

Kerfoot was getting the Deharnais treatment in Colorado as he was miscast as a top 6 producer which frustrated fans, playing as a third line Center with play driving wingers has been excellent for him.

As for Barrie, he will undoubtedly improve, although I was always someone who thought he was more valued on this site than what his ply would indicate. Him in Toronto has looked like Shattenkirk in Washington so far where he doesn’t seem to fit that well.

Reactions: Petrus

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Barrie is better than how he's looked in Toronto but not as good as how his points suggested in Colorado. The lack of defensive structure helps no one in Toronto.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Barrie is better than how he's looked in Toronto but not as good as how his points suggested in Colorado. The lack of defensive structure helps no one in Toronto.
I figured the fast tempo skilled forwards would play into his puck moving style.... not to mention Muzzin has been and is a solid Dman. It's on Barrie, figure it out... I'm not blaming anything else.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Still think this trade is better than the Jankowski+Brodie one that was rumoured. Kerfoot has looked really good, Barrie needs to get adjusted.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Barrie can be really dangerous...at either end of the rink. I didn't really understand getting him for the Leafs, but maybe the braintrust's plan there was to try and recreate the 80's Oilers, though even they had some excellent defensive players such as Lowe, Messier, and Kurri.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This was the furthest thing from a good trade the day it happened... Kadri was 1 of Toronto’s only form of physicality/heart and you move him for a dmen that cant play defense for shit, and a 3c that is half as good as Kadri on his worst nights.

It’s clear Dubas has no clue

Reactions: Koolboss

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
The only thing I am still a bit miffed about is that Sakic wasn't able to add the Marleau for 1st (#13 overall) swap onto the deal because he was chasing Panarin...
Then this would have been closer to the Duchene deal in quality.

Aside from that I liked the deal the moment it happened but also think it was not the fleecing many people think now.
It just turned out really badly for the Leafs. I always thought it was a pretty bad fit for Barrie but Babcock hating him and them never really finding out how to properly use him as well as Rielly and him being a bit redundant because you both want them on PP #1 certainly made things worse than they had to be...

That said. There is still plenty of time for Kadri to get suspended and Rosen was a complete bust for the Avs.

I also think people are judging Dubas too harshly for that. He deserves major flak for some of his dumb contracts but I just think that he is caught in one of the worst spots a GM can be caught in.
And that is having to trade for quality D-man. And that usually never ends well because you usually lose these trades by a lot simply because nobody wants to trade quality Ds. Especially not at a fair price (see: Hall for Larsson).

Thats why you should always try to draft Ds (and #1 Cs) because if you have to rely on the trade market to get them, you are majorly screwed...
Too bad Dubas will have to do it again. And I don't expect much better results unfortunately.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I really wish Buffalo could've somehow landed Kadri, but Dubas would've never traded him here. This one is going to hurt the Leafs for a while. Barrie is gone, and Kerfoot is another undersized forward with no grit. All they'll have to show for this trade going forward is Kerfoot- awful. And the fact Kadri is only making 1 million more per year is salt in the wound.

Trading Kadri; a legit top-6 center on a sweetheart deal + trading away what turned out to be the #13 pick to clear space...not a good offseason for Dubas. He's got his work cut out for him.

Reactions: Koolboss

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I really wish Buffalo could've somehow landed Kadri, but Dubas would've never traded him here. This one is going to hurt the Leafs for a while. Barrie is gone, and Kerfoot is another undersized forward with no grit. All they'll have to show for this trade going forward is Kerfoot- awful. And the fact Kadri is only making 1 million more per year is salt in the wound.

Trading Kadri; a legit top-6 center on a sweetheart deal + trading away what turned out to be the #13 pick to clear space...not a good offseason for Dubas. He's got his work cut out for him.
What could go bad - did.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I actually find it interesting how much crap Barrie gets. The guy was never known as a good defensive d-man, so his poor play in his own zone shouldn't be a surprise. Offensively though the guy ranks 7th in points among all d-men over the last 3 seasons. Sure his production took a dip this year, but he also had the worst S% of his career which didn't help. In his final 2yrs at COL he saw 47% of his production come on the PP, where he was seeing around 4 minutes a night. In Toronto this year he was getting 2:40 on the PP, basically he saw his PP TOI drop by around 35% in Toronto this year.

Interestingly enough the guy whose 6th in pts over the last 3 years is also a UFA this off-season and that's Torey Krug

Krug - 201GP / 161Pts / 51% via the PP
Barrie - 216GP / 155Pts / 43% via the PP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad