Proposal: Tor-Chi

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Cap space. Upgrade D. Qualify Strome for $1m. Beaudin is a first round pick D

Beaudin is a prospect that intrigues me, but there's no denying he's coming off a poor first season as a pro and he's unlikely to play in Chicago unless someone ahead of him on the depth chart falters. I think Ian Mitchell's signing pushed Beaudin down the chart and he's going to be in the AHL.

That's not to say he won't turn things around. It's very early in his development, but trying to upsell him as "first round pick" is meaningless at the best of times, but really a tough sell when the player is coming off the kind of season he had.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
15 points as a rookie D isn’t bad. His best asset is his skating and hockey sense.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Cap space. Upgrade D. Qualify Strome for $1m. Beaudin is a first round pick D
Nylander has a good contract, hes not being traded for quantity and downgrades for cap space. Our defence was upgraded, we got Brodie for our top pairing, a healthy muzzin back and a lot of challenges for spots 4-8, including Liljegrin and Sandin. Beaudin is worse than Liljegrin, who was also a first round pick and played top pairing on the Marlies. Strome would be in a battle to make our third line, he upgrades nothing, we have a ton of depth guys trying for that same roll.

So to recap, we downgrade forward massively, creating a large hole in our top 6. We gain an older, potentially second pairing Dman who is an UFA in 2 years and would have to be protected in the Expansion draft, losing us either a good forward or Murphy (He wont be protected over Rielly, Muzzin or Brodie. Then to boot, we downgrade our best RHD prospect for another LHD for no reason.

So why do we do this, exactly? So we can lose an extra asset for nothing in the expansion draft?

Is Murphy even a better fit than Holl, after the fantastic season he had last year paired with Muzzin? Is it worth losing the potential of Dermott over? No. And thats not even taking into account how much better Nylander is than anything you've offered.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Nylander has a good contract, hes not being traded for quantity and downgrades for cap space. Our defence was upgraded, we got Brodie for our top pairing, a healthy muzzin back and a lot of challenges for spots 4-8, including Liljegrin and Sandin. Beaudin is worse than Liljegrin, who was also a first round pick and played top pairing on the Marlies. Strome would be in a battle to make our third line, he upgrades nothing, we have a ton of depth guys trying for that same roll.

So to recap, we downgrade forward massively, creating a large hole in our top 6. We gain an older, potentially second pairing Dman who is an UFA in 2 years and would have to be protected in the Expansion draft, losing us either a good forward or Murphy (He wont be protected over Rielly, Muzzin or Brodie. Then to boot, we downgrade our best RHD prospect for another LHD for no reason.

So why do we do this, exactly? So we can lose an extra asset for nothing in the expansion draft?

Is Murphy even a better fit than Holl, after the fantastic season he had last year paired with Muzzin? Is it worth losing the potential of Dermott over? No. And thats not even taking into account how much better Nylander is than anything you've offered.
the message you quote says nothing about bad contract. it only says cap space and i think toronto could use cap space. unfortunately cap space is difficult to generate with the toronto contracts. with the flat cap all of the contracts shortly signed before the pandemic are now slightly overpriced (10%-15%).
for years the will need to find cheap contributors to round out the forward group. if this strategy fails them numerous times moving one of their big contracts might become an option. today it's not.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
the message you quote says nothing about bad contract. it only says cap space and i think toronto could use cap space. unfortunately cap space is difficult to generate with the toronto contracts. with the flat cap all of the contracts shortly signed before the pandemic are now slightly overpriced (10%-15%).
for years the will need to find cheap contributors to round out the forward group. if this strategy fails them numerous times moving one of their big contracts might become an option. today it's not.
I never said that anybody called it a bad contract, i just remarked that its a good one, good enough that we wouldnt use it to move a great player just for cap space.

We had such a hard time moving cap space out that we were able to get a 1st round pick and a decent prospect for a third line player (Who will hopefully be a top 6 player for his new team) and also move another one of our third liners for an okay RFA, younger forward. We havent had problem moving cap around, we have Pridham.

Today its not, youre right. Its not a problem so why would you move our 4th best forward, leaving a massive hole in our top 6 and downgrade in defensive prospects just to get a potential 4th defenceman and somebody who will join the battle for our bottom 6 forwards. For cap space?

Its a bad trade, with poor reasoning and theres literally zero reason for Toronto to even consider it.

The pandemic has also shown how much easier it is to sign decent talent for small, easy to swallow contracts. Top guys still get paid decent and everyone else is left just trying to find a job.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
We had such a hard time moving cap space out that we were able to get a 1st round pick and a decent prospect for a third line player (Who will hopefully be a top 6 player for his new team) and also move another one of our third liners for an okay RFA, younger forward. We havent had problem moving cap around, we have Pridham.
i congratulated dubas for the kapanen trade. it was extremely smart to move out money early in the process. allen to montreal was the other great move, where a team was able to move out cap and getting back assets. ever since the price for cap space has exploded. toews and schmidt were dirty cheap and i wouldn't expect the price to swing the other way any time soon. pridham won't help, if there is only one or two buyers and like twenty sellers on the market.
so i can totally see toronto sitting out the flat-cap period and not trade any of their four star forwards, even if the team doesn't achieve anything in the post season for numerous years.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
i congratulated dubas for the kapanen trade. it was extremely smart to move out money early in the process. allen to montreal was the other great move, where a team was able to move out cap and getting back assets. ever since the price for cap space has exploded. toews and schmidt were dirty cheap and i wouldn't expect the price to swing the other way any time soon. pridham won't help, if there is only one or two buyers and like twenty sellers on the market.
so i can totally see toronto sitting out the flat-cap period and not trade any of their four star forwards, even if the team doesn't achieve anything in the post season for numerous years.
So do you agree with my assessment of the trade being horrible for toronto in every single way?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
leafs absolutely kill their depth on the wing for another #4-5 type dman, another C (they are kinda good there with Matthews,JT,Kerfoot,Thronton,Spezza,Boyd etc) and a prospect that isnt as good as the one they are giving up (Liljegren crushed what Beaudin did in the AHL)

yeah this is a no. also strome isnt gonna play for his QO, he would just hold out.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Eww, heck no. Dylan Strome is better alone what would be coming back.
+ Beaudin > Liljegren

Liljegren > Bueadin.

5g/30pts in 40 games>>>>> 3g/15pts in 59 games

both offensive guys. lilly is 5 months older so dont bother with that lame dialogue as an excuse

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Liljegren > Bueadin.

5g/30pts in 40 games>>>>> 3g/15pts in 59 games

both offensive guys. lilly is 5 months older so dont bother with that lame dialogue as an excuse

Liljegren is a year removed from 15 points in 44 games, which was his 2nd season in the AHL. This past season was his third. And that Marlies team could score. The Icehogs could not.

I think this is actually a pretty fair trade but I don't see the Leafs doing it.

Reactions: Luckylarry

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
So do you agree with my assessment of the trade being horrible for toronto in every single way?
it's not a good proposal for toronto. it clearly favors chicago. but i also never said something in this direction. i was not even discussing the trade proposal.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
it's not a good proposal for toronto. it clearly favors chicago. but i also never said something in this direction. i was not even discussing the trade proposal.
I didnt say you said it, I asked if you agree with me when I said it. Also if youre not discussing the trade proposal then it doesnt belong in this thread, you can make new threads for your differing ideas or find an existing one.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Liljegren is a year removed from 15 points in 44 games, which was his 2nd season in the AHL. This past season was his third. And that Marlies team could score. The Icehogs could not.

I think this is actually a pretty fair trade but I don't see the Leafs doing it.
Its a terrible trade, in multiple ways beyond just LilJ being RHD and Beaudin being LHD. Liljegrin was a #1dman on the marlies last season, had a cup'o in the N and was showing nothing but improvements. This being his 3rd season is only because he entered the AHL younger than any North American is allowed. Hes is a better prospect than Beaudin in every way for the leafs organization. Its a massive downgrade considering who is above Beaudin on our left side, beyond the part of Liljegrin being better at hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->