Post-Game Talk: [TOR/CHI] Leafs lose In OT 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Offside or not, not really a big deal considering we would've lost in shootout anyways.

We played well enough to deserve a point, but that's it. Hawks were the better team overall
No, they didn't. The Blackhawks almost had 40 shots on goal. Andersen played well enough to get them the point.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Great game , almost all of the Leafs played a strong defensove game, maybe the first time in five years we actually played a complete game....love this kind of hockey.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think anyone has brought this up but how many breakaways have the Leafs got in overtime and haven't scored on them? Last night JVR had one and couldn't score, it's happened a few times to Matthews and in the Centennial Classic Morgan Rielly had one and couldn't score.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
I don't think anyone has brought this up but how many breakaways have the Leafs got in overtime and haven't scored on them? Last night JVR had one and couldn't score, it's happened a few times to Matthews and in the Centennial Classic Morgan Rielly had one and couldn't score.

Probably why our shootout record is so bad. Guys just can't score on the breakaway. Would love to see the data on our breakaway's. Has to be one of the lowest in the league.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Young Grinders win it for Hawks

Hartman and Hayden score for Hawks too skilled grinders get it done. Some thing the Leafs and Marlies just don't have, that was Illustrated again yesterday. Hayden a 3rd rd pick. Our smurfs just can't get it done come the final month of the season and the playoff run.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Hartman and Hayden score for Hawks too skilled grinders get it done. Some thing the Leafs and Marlies just don't have, that was Illustrated again yesterday. Hayden a 3rd rd pick. Our smurfs just can't get it done come the final month of the season and the playoff run.

You're really bad at this.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
JVR was asked about that last night and he said the ice was bad, which was probably true because the Marlies played there earlier that day, but I think he didn't score because it was the end of his shift and he was tired.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Every breakaway we try that go backhand and try and slide it five hole and Matthews does the same but forehand. It's too easy for goalies to bait you into shooting five hole and apparently our players don't learn that you gotta change it up a bit.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
JVR was asked about that last night and he said the ice was bad, which was probably true because the Marlies played there earlier that day, but I think he didn't score because it was the end of his shift and he was tired.
He made a good move, but put it to the wrong place. Nothing to do with being tired and I'm pretty sure he was just getting on after a long Bozak/Marner shift.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008

Last time I checked they were getting it done?!? Not only are they in a playoff spot, they are still in competition for Boston's spot. Come tomorrow they may be 1 pt behind Boston with a game in hand.

Leafs have no skilled grinders??? That's ridiculous! Brown, Hyman and Sosh are going to be very skilled players. Hayden a 3rd round pick is being outscored by Brown a 6th round pick.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

nice. your troll fu is in dire shape nowadays.

Brown 16 - Hartman 16
Boyle 13 - Schmaltz 6
Komo 11 - Hinistroza 6

Hyman 9 - Kero 5
Sosh 5 - Rasmussen 4
Martin 5 - Motte 4

Gauthier 2 - Kruger 2
Smith 2 - Tootoo 1
Leivo 1 - Hayden 1

Kapanen 0 - ?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Was the ice also a factor in the 1st period when Marner had a breakaway and the puck was bouncing right before he was able to get possession of it.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

*cough* Thursday night

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

JvR said the ice was awful and given the situation he recieved the puck in he was struggling just to keep control of it and really couldnt get an effective shot off

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I like our chances too. 14 straight losses to the Habs all the way back to 2014. You were probably still in middle school then. I probably didn't have kids then. Obama was still early in his reign then. Trump was just a humorous TV character back then. George Strombo hadn't even made his HNIC debut yet.

Get the point?

Get the point....I have been out of school likely before you were born and 14 games is a little over 3 years

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
refs were great in this one imo.

they called one penalty when a clear scoring chance was taken away, but otherwise let them play.

toews didn't deserve a call because he was holding Boyle with his free arm even more than boyle was holding him.

and both the too many men and the offside in OT would have been super chintzy calls.

It was the best Reffed game we have been involved in all year...

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
nice. your troll fu is in dire shape nowadays.

Brown 16 - Hartman 16
Boyle 13 - Schmaltz 6
Komo 11 - Hinistroza 6

Hyman 9 - Kero 5
Sosh 5 - Rasmussen 4
Martin 5 - Motte 4

Gauthier 2 - Kruger 2
Smith 2 - Tootoo 1
Leivo 1 - Hayden 1

Kapanen 0 - ?

How dare you post pesky facts. You know they're the trolls kryptonite. #trollslivesmatter

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

Are you Brian Burke?

This is how you end up with draft picks like Tyler Biggs,

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
It was the best Reffed game we have been involved in all year...

It was a good game because the refs let them play. There was a flow to the game which is often broken up with numerous penalty calls. When I went to "ref school" way back in the day we were told to let the borderline stuff go "if" the two teams wanted to play hockey but to call it tight if one or both teams were being idiots. Unfortunately the refs these days are too noticeable on most nights.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
It was a good game because the refs let them play. There was a flow to the game which is often broken up with numerous penalty calls. When I went to "ref school" way back in the day we were told to let the borderline stuff go "if" the two teams wanted to play hockey but to call it tight if one or both teams were being idiots. Unfortunately the refs these days are too noticeable on most nights.
Do you remember Wally Harris? He was the best referee that I have seen, he let the teams decide the game,not that he didn't call penalties,but he only called the real ones, not like today how a player accidentally touches another player and gets a hooking penalty, I'm sick of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad