Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CGY] TOR acquire David Rittich [50% retained] for 2022 3rd Round Pick

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We really need a NHL-caliber waiver-exempt option that is better than Hutch. I think VV was brought on with that hope.

In the medium to long run, I think we could do well to look at John Gibson as a bluechip franchise goalie option if we think he can rebound on a quality team, or target the next up and coming goalie getting the squeeze on a tandem. But to get over the short term of the expansion draft etc. I think our oversupply of average goalies is probably the way to navigate it.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
In the medium to long run, I think we could do well to look at John Gibson as a bluechip franchise goalie option if we think he can rebound on a quality team, or target the next up and coming goalie getting the squeeze on a tandem. But to get over the short term of the expansion draft etc. I think our oversupply of average goalies is probably the way to navigate it.

I don't think this is the best place in the world for a goalie to rebound, or for any goalie period. lol.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Rittich is like my farts after eating beef tacos:

It comes out steady and quietly, but after a while, the stench in the room just disgusts everyone.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Solid backups have been Dubas’ Achilles heel since he got here. Starting with letting McElhinney walk. It’s been downhill since then.

To Compensate for this we overplayed Andersson

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
That was a truly terrible performance. We get up in arms over 1 bad goal, that was avalanche of bad goals.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I mean hopefully he can bounce back and probably will. Hopefully. Can he really be worse than Hutchinson? Maybe. Probably not. Who knows.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Wasn’t a bad move by Dubas. The question is, should he have gone big for a Gibson type goalie, value down, but horrible team. This guy was always just a backup insurance, never a real answer, barring urgency.

Reactions: leafsfan5

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
We have scouts right? Surely one of them must've pointed out this dude is a below average back up?

Wish we overhauled the amateur + pro scouting department 10 years ago. Everyone blames Hunter and the other gm's, but its not like the gm does everything on his own.

Reactions: paulhiggins

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
See, one bad game and fans turn on the goalie around here. Calling him a below average backup, a sieve. Gimme a break. He is a decent enough backup. A pretty good 3rd stringer to have. This guy was added just to give the Leafs a little more depth in the goalie dept. He wasn't added to be a saviour or anything. He wasn't added to be a #1 quality. What do you guys expect to be added? Leafs have f*** all for cap space. They had to get a 3rd team involved just to get Foligno at 25% of his salary.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
I mean that wasn't just a bad game for a goalie, that was one of the worst performances for a goalie I've ever seen. I fault no fans who have completely lost faith in the guy, it was that bad. It wasn't just one bad goal either, it was multiple horrible goals allowed. I honestly hope his psyche can recover from that.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
We saw him play lights out against the Leafs. Last night was horrific for sure, but it doesn't mean he will remain off his game every night.

Clearly if Leafs don't receive at least average goaltending, like any other team, their postseason will be short lived.

Above average will be needed to win a Cup. I still think Campbell can be that guy if he can keep his confidence.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I think he's played well in 2 of his 3 appearances for us. Everyone needs to breathe. Let's see the response tomorrow against the heaviest team in our division. Tomorrow's game could say a lot about this teams character, one way or another

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think he's played well in 2 of his 3 appearances for us. Everyone needs to breathe. Let's see the response tomorrow against the heaviest team in our division. Tomorrow's game could say a lot about this teams character, one way or another

No, that's definitely true. The rational fact is he's played more minutes at a solid level for the team than terrible. Problem is his worst performance by a mile was the freshest in our memory.

Good opportunity for him to show the coaches he can mentally shake that off and move forward. Or else Hutch has performed like a more than capable backup so far

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
If he's an upgrade on Hutchinson it's a very small one. I think we would all take a 3rd round pick for Hutchinson. That's Dubas for you. Not as bad as the Foligno deal though.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Not yet but I'd give him a bit of a break given the circumstances - traded here, played next day yada yada yada

I felt bad for the guy actually coming to a new city and try to impress his new team and shit happened. He sounded so broken in his post game but owned up to his mistakes.

I have not given up on him, he's a pro and we've seen him punish us couple of times against Calgary so I really believe he'll bounce back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->