Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CGY] TOR acquire David Rittich [50% retained] for 2022 3rd Round Pick

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Perhaps they should give Campbell a bit of a break and some more rest so he's fresh for the playoffs.

Continue playing Rittich who I thought was pretty solid so far and to get acquainted with the dmen. We're definitely going to need them (and also Freddy) since anything can happen during the playoffs.

Reactions: The Cobra

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He had a solid game other than the goal he allowed, which was a pretty major screwup. Poke check wasn’t the right move there, and that was a crucial goal. With ~14-15 mins left 3-2 is doable, but 4-2 is basically over, especially without Matthews/Nylander/Foligno.

Everyone makes mistakes though, and Rittich was solid otherwise. Didn’t face many dangerous scoring chances - those 3 in a row that Campbell let in we’re pretty prime chances, seemed we tightened up our D after he was pulled. But Rittich made the saves on the few semi-dangerous chances he saw, other than the poke check screw up. He played a decent game overall.

Reactions: The Cobra

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
He had a solid game other than the goal he allowed, which was a pretty major screwup. Poke check wasn’t the right move there, and that was a crucial goal. With ~14-15 mins left 3-2 is doable, but 4-2 is basically over, especially without Matthews/Nylander/Foligno.

Everyone makes mistakes though, and Rittich was solid otherwise. Didn’t face many dangerous scoring chances - those 3 in a row that Campbell let in we’re pretty prime chances, seemed we tightened up our D after he was pulled. But Rittich made the saves on the few semi-dangerous chances he saw, other than the poke check screw up. He played a decent game overall.
Yeah that was a bad goal to give up there. Rittich owned the mistake and explained in detail what happened during that play.

We also saw Marner after losing the puck to Ehlers and apologized to Rittich for putting him in a bad spot. As he mentioned during his postgame comments above, "Shit happens".

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Perhaps they should give Campbell a bit of a break and some more rest so he's fresh for the playoffs.

Continue playing Rittich who I thought was pretty solid so far and to get acquainted with the dmen. We're definitely going to need them (and also Freddy) since anything can happen during the playoffs.

Campbell should get all the rest he needs for sure. At this point our goalie situation is so unclear, it might be Rittich or even Andersen who gets the most starts in the playoffs.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He's looked good. Much needed acquisition down the stretch with the uncertainty surrounding Campbell and Andersen.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I’m going to make another controversial statement here , sorry ....
Is it just me , but Big Save Dave makes me feel the most secure as a fan of all our goalies...
There’s something about his goofy but dead on serious battling on ice play but calm and tough and confident makeup that makes me feel genuinely that he might be the best of the lot for us ,??????

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Is it just me , but Big Save Dave makes me feel the most secure as a fan of all our goalies...
There’s something about his goofy but dead on serious battling on ice play but calm and tough and confident makeup that makes me feel genuinely that he might be the best of the lot for us ,??????

Who knows, it could certainly end up that way. I definitely like what I've seen so far, and his reputation in Calgary suggests that he's the type of goaltender that thrives under pressure.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Tkachuk is such an A Hole

I can't remember if it was the first or second Flames - Leafs game this season, when Tkachuk was in front of net doing what pretty much every forward does looking for rebound. Leafs Dman also did what pretty much every dman does in a situation like that and gave Tkachuk a couple of cross-checks to the back, just to remind that you should not do that to the goalie. Tkachuk turned with the intension to give few cross-checks back, but saw that it was Brodie who gave him the cross-checks and just let it go and did nothing.

Altough I think this probably tells more about how appreciated Brodie was within Flames

Reactions: CanadasTeam

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Who knows, it could certainly end up that way. I definitely like what I've seen so far, and his reputation in Calgary suggests that he's the type of goaltender that thrives under pressure.

Opinions on Rittich vary, but as a Flames fan here's mine

- he's awful in relief. He really needs to start otherwise don't bother throwing him in there
- he's pretty clutch
- his rebound control is exceptional. He seems to sponge them up.
- he's a little prone to goals over the shoulder. I feel like a better goalie coach could really wring the best out of him
- when he's on his game, he's elite. But it seems every year he has had some minor injury that has caused a 180 in his performance down the stretch.
- Calgary was mistaken not to trust him as the starter in either the the 2019 playoffs or the 2020 playoffs. He was our best goalie both years.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
That one brainfart goal aside, he's looked really good. More like a 1b than a backup. But hopefully consistency comes with that

Wouldn't mind.our goaltending total cap hit under 3m next year!

Hopefully Covid prices still apply to us re-signing him.

Reactions: Menzinger

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
One thing we all loved in Calgary was that passion and competitiveness, plus he usually keeps composed when he lets in an awful goal. The fact he lets in a decent amount of stinkers is a reason he's not a straight #1, but so many goalies just seem to collapse on themselves when they let in a bad one, and Rittich always seemed to pick himself back up and carry on

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Quite good thus far. He's put up a starter's workload over a couple of seasons too. Starting with next season, a Rittich-Campbell tandem in goal could be something. We'll see.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

He looks to me like he covers a lot of net but let's not forget Campbell's 11 wins in a row here.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don't think we've ever had this goaltending depth though, which was basically our biggest question mark heading into the playoffs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I can really see how life after Andersen could look with Rittich and Campbell in some kind of platoon arrangement. Not ideal but could work. I like the compete level he shows in making a save. He's a little busy in the net and some of his saves look a little janky.

choirboy

Apr 12, 2006

If you think about it, in reality, Rittich has proved more as a tendy in the NHL than Campbell has. I do hope Big Save Dave can take the lead and run with it, enroute to a Cup chase.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I can really see how life after Andersen could look with Rittich and Campbell in some kind of platoon arrangement. Not ideal but could work. I like the compete level he shows in making a save. He's a little busy in the net and some of his saves look a little janky.

We really need a NHL-caliber waiver-exempt option that is better than Hutch. I think VV was brought on with that hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad