Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ] TOR acquire Riley Nash for Conditional. 7th Pick in 2022

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
No chance Galchenyuk goes out. Kerfoot leaves the lineup before he does.
You mean Mikheyev, not Galch.

I see this as the roster:

Foligno - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Nash - Simmonds
Jumbo - Kerfoot - Spezza

Personally, I want Brooksie in that 4C hole.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Nash is a safe bet for game 1 on the roster. Gally sits but comes in of the team needs a bit of an offensive boost
maybe conf. game #1. Why should leafs put in a black hole (not a bad term) to eat up the puck at the defensive zone corner? They never need to do it in the regular season. I am sure the line-up will be almost the same in the first 2 rounds unless leafs run into some problems.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Nash is 100% in no question. Glach comes out and mikheyev has a tight leash because he was a complete liability last year in playoffs
Obviously there’s no official glossary, but to me a ‘complete liability’ isn’t how I’d describe Mikheyev at all. He’s actually the opposite in that he’s safe defensively responsible, and doesn’t make many mistakes or turn the puck over. Sure, you wish he had a little more finish, but he’s not someone who hurts you in the bottom 6.

I like the idea of him and Simmonds together as their skill sets compliment eachother. Wayne can finish around the net but isn’t someone to create chances. Mikheyev can create the chances but just can’t score. They could be a great duo, especially if they can find a good two-way 3C as their pivot. Will be interested to see if these two find their way onto Nash’s wing.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Nash could very well slot in the third line to give the leafs the pure shut down line they’ve been looking for to open up easier matchups for the first 2 lines. I could even see Hyman or Foligno slot in the third line to tighten things up further

Reactions: The Cobra

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I don't know if Nash will be game ready by the playoffs, he just started skating, gingerly at that. He is a medium to slow skater at the best times.

Sure Nash has a rep as elite D centre but recently he was playing like dog before he was injured, he's slow at the best of times, but if he can get healthy again and play a few games before playoffs, he'll probably end up on our 4th line. I love Brooks, I love his chemestry with the vets on his line. His speed is perfect for those guys. I hope he keeps playing like this. I hope he makes it really hard to take him out, but he's just an unknown at this level for playoff hockey. We have seen he will be a good injury fill in. Hard decisions are a blessing.

Mar 12, 2009
They haven't used Galchenyuk is one defensive situation because they don't trust him, not to mention Kerfoot is the much better player.
This board will never cease to amaze me with it's hate boners for useful players like Kerfoot because they are small and not ppg type producers.
Wasn't Nash on the fourth line for the Blue Jackets and wasn't playing very well before he was injured? Why does he suddenly slot onto the third line and boot off one of our established players in the process?
see above re: hate boners for Kerfoot

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Wasn't Nash on the fourth line for the Blue Jackets and wasn't playing very well before he was injured? Why does he suddenly slot onto the third line and boot off one of our established players in the process?

Because he has a long track record of being an elite defensive forward?

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
Nash is 4th line c at best. No way Gally comes out for him.

Shutting down Columbus wasn't our issue last year.

Scoring 5v5 in the playoffs is a big challenge.

A shut down 4th line c to me has limited value in the playoffs. Hog much minutes are they gonna play? You gonna run him out matched up against the other teams top line? So Nash is gonna take Matthews or Tavares time? At the end of the day we need our big boys to step up and that means giving them the linemates to succeed.

And if they can't do it we need secondary scoring from our 3rd line which can't be a black hole. I'm a huge Mikheyev fan and supporter. But he seems to have no confidence and hunger for scoring. He's just a Viktor stahlberg right now. A guy with some wheels that could be dangerous.

Reactions: LFCTML

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
A shut down 4th line c to me has limited value in the playoffs. Hog much minutes are they gonna play? You gonna run him out matched up against the other teams top line? So Nash is gonna take Matthews or Tavares time? At the end of the day we need our big boys to step up and that means giving them the linemates to succeed.

Exactly. Shutting down a top line, that's very valuable. Shutting down the other teams 4th line, I don't see the point. Wouldn't we rather try to outscore the other team's 4th line instead?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Nash is 4th line c at best. No way Gally comes out for him.

Shutting down Columbus wasn't our issue last year.

Scoring 5v5 in the playoffs is a big challenge.

And if they can't do it we need secondary scoring from our 3rd line which can't be a black hole. I'm a huge Mikheyev fan and supporter. But he seems to have no confidence and hunger for scoring. He's just a Viktor stahlberg right now. A guy with some wheels that could be dangerous.

The objective of having someone like Nash is to ensure the other team doesn't score. They're "fast-forwarding" to when Matthews and JT are on the ice. That's insanely valuable.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Nash helps the PK and he is valuable in late game situations where you are protecting a lead. It's even more important to have low event players late in playoff games - there isn't a lot of trading chances or trying to pad leads. Close games can be won or lost in the blink of an eye you want players like Riley Nash who know how to play a safe and smothering game when you need it. It also gives us one more trusted faceoff guy. Right now Kerfoot is not trusted by Keefe to take important draws.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Exactly. Shutting down a top line, that's very valuable. Shutting down the other teams 4th line, I don't see the point. Wouldn't we rather try to outscore the other team's 4th line instead?
Well not necessarily and it matters completely on matchups and last change etc. This 4 th line assumption is not the case if Keefe chooses.
Mikheyev/Nash/Hyman is a shutdown line (doesn’t look like a 4 th line) that our roster could assemble and still have our Top Six completely intact.
A shutdown line is not necessarily a fourth line with this team.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think Nash takes over the role that Engvall had on the Hyman-Engvall-Mikheyev line. Kerfoot is on the 4th line with 2 of Spezza, Thornton, and Simmonds with Galchenyuk and Foligno in the top 6. If Hyman plays top 6, then we likely bump Galchenyuk out altogether, have Thornton - Spezza - Simmonds on the 4th line (or I guess we could put Galchenyuk, Engvall, or Brooks there since that 4th line needs some legs) and have Kerfoot move up to the 3rd line with Nash and Mikheyev.

That is the nice thing about Kerfoot. Can play on a shutdown line, drive a depth scoring line, or be a complementary top 6 guy.

Reactions: Kurtz and The Cobra

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Well not necessarily and it matters completely on matchups and last change etc. This 4 th line assumption is not the case if Keefe chooses.
Mikheyev/Nash/Hyman is a shutdown line (doesn’t look like a 4 th line) that our roster could assemble and still have our Top Six completely intact.
A shutdown line is not necessarily a fourth line with this team.

But we also need secondary scoring from that line. Nash is an offensive blackhole. He is a 4th line C. Used mostly on PK.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
But we also need secondary scoring from that line. Nash is an offensive blackhole. He is a 4th line C. Used mostly on PK.
Hyman can score and so can Nash with that quality of players with him. Still with that said,they are shutdown line first. It looks like we have the best forward depth construction in the North.

Not many teams in the league with the same quality lineup and depth on the whole really. I personally want to shadow and shut down line that goes head to head against all top units.

Foligno’s acquisition was a nice move.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Hyman can score and so can Nash with that quality of players with him. Still with that said,they are shutdown line first. It looks like we have the best forward depth construction in the North.

Not many teams in the league with the same quality lineup and depth on the whole really. I personally want to shadow and shut down line that goes head to head against all top units.

Foligno’s acquisition was a nice move.

No, man, I don't like that idea. I don't want Nash getting 15 minutes a night shadowing a top line.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
No, man, I don't like that idea. I don't want Nash getting 15 minutes a night shadowing a top line.
He is a top defensive center in the league and he is goung to get some large minutes if he is solid again when he comes back. Not sure if anyone knows much about him. He just shuts top players down and has a reputation for that.

His best seasons offensively were when he was getting over 15 minutes coincidentally

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He is a top defensive center in the league and he is goung to get some large minutes if he is solid again when he comes back. Not sure if anyone knows much about him. He just shuts top players down and has a reputation for that.

His best seasons offensively were when he was getting over 15 minutes coincidentally

Nash has tended to shut down whoever he is out there against, but in Columbus at least he was rarely intentionally used in any matchup role. The main matchup center was Jenner, who rarely had impressive defensive results but that's what Torts preferred. Funny enough, Nash's biggest role on the Jackets came in the 2019 playoffs when he was on the right wing of Dubinsky on a shutdown unit, and that was surprisingly good.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Nash has tended to shut down whoever he is out there against, but in Columbus at least he was rarely intentionally used in any matchup role. The main matchup center was Jenner, who rarely had impressive defensive results but that's what Torts preferred. Funny enough, Nash's biggest role on the Jackets came in the 2019 playoffs when he was on the right wing of Dubinsky on a shutdown unit, and that was surprisingly good.
Nice find bud. I am wondering what and where you found his 2019 results. If you get some time and could drop it in here for us to look at it would be much appreciated.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I’m wondering if you ever watched the positive results of a shutdown and shadow hard matchup scenario? You are right to have doubts because it needs the right players or it can’t be done. We have the right players to be a nasty bunch To play against. We have 2 top lines that play good defensively too. So i see where you are at. It is a lot to think about considering we could simply put Hyman and Foligno on the left side of our top 2 lines :)

Reactions: TopChedder

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Reading some of these posts makes me think people forget how f***ing difficult it was playing against Nash in the playoffs with Boston.

The guy can be a shutdown machine.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Reading some of these posts makes me think people forget how f***ing difficult it was playing against Nash in the playoffs with Boston.

The guy can be a shutdown machine.
Keefe remembered him shutting us down just last year. I forget what interview it was so chance i find it for you is slim. He said something along the line of we thought we should have had good results against Nash with our lines last year against Columbus but it didn’t work out that way for us.

Keefe has that in the back of his head. Will be interesting to see how he deploys Nash

Reactions: TopChedder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->