Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ] Frattin for D'Amigo, conditional 7th. Frattin re-signed 2yr/800k AAV

Number13

May 21, 2007
Frattin will be coming back to familiar place with friends around him, all the while knowing that this is his last chance contract to make anything of himself. Hopefully he works hard this summer and comes in hungry to camp.

Overall, I like the upside of this move, we have many players that can fill D'amigo's role, but not many with the upside of Frattin. And this is coming from a pretty big D'amigo fan.

Funny side note, he has to kick Rielly and Gardiner out of his apartment as he was renting it to them.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Frattin will be coming back to familiar place with friends around him, all the while knowing that this is his last chance contract to make anything of himself. Hopefully he works hard this summer and comes in hungry to camp.

Overall, I like the upside of this move, we have many players that can fill D'amigo's role, but not many with the upside of Frattin. And this is coming from a pretty big D'amigo fan.

Funny side note, he has to kick Rielly and Gardiner out of his apartment as he was renting it to them.

lol that was hilarious. he's like yah i have my place, I'm friends with Jake so maybe Mo has to go.

but then he was like Mo and Jake really like living together so it's probably gonna be those two ditch and he has his apartment back.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
There's no basis behind that, and regardless that would be attributed to unsustainable goaltending and poor possession numbers, neither which have anything at all to do with Frattin playing high in the lineup. Completely irrelevant post.

Well there is basis for that seeing as the year before they stated out hot then fall flat down toward the end of the season. And the season after they also started out hot then had a free fall down the table at the end of the season. The season we did make the playoffs we started out hot but other teams started to out work and out play us the closer to the playoffs we got. Now since it was only a short season we still made the playoffs and we had Reimer who stood on his head most every night.

And it really does not have anything to do with Frattin but he really was not part of a team who played great simply because there was not a team who played great.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 32m
Nonis "Frattin can kill penalties as well as D'Amigo but he can play higher in the lineup"

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 33m
Nonis "Frattin is a guy that can go up and down the lineup a little more than D'Amigo"

That's what management think who have seen both extensively.

Because management have obviously proven to be great talent evaluators so far...

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Because management have obviously proven to be great talent evaluators so far...
Great? Maybe not exactly, but good at least especially when picking up the likes of Gardiner , Franson, Bernier and JVR for the likes of Beauchemin , Lebda , Schenn and Scrivens.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Nonis talking today about this - and he's nailing what most people are saying. He basically said - Jerry is a great player - and a good penalty killer but Matty has the ability to go up and down the line up, where we see him (Jerry), not doing that as easily. We want to get rid of "designated' players on lines and have more fluidity in the line up.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Nonis talking today about this - and he's nailing what most people are saying. He basically said - Jerry is a great player - and a good penalty killer but Matty has the ability to go up and down the line up, where we see him (Jerry), not doing that as easily. We want to get rid of "designated' players on lines and have more fluidity in the line up.

Also basically said Frattin will be starting on the 4th line with us... This is good news for me.

He said Jerry is likely gonna play in that 4 spot (4th line) and then he said Frattin and jerry will probably start in the same spot on different teams but we think Frattin can move up the lineup more.

So Ashton-Carrick/Gauthier-Frattin 4th line???

Tucker93

Apr 5, 2013
Ottawa
Also basically said Frattin will be starting on the 4th line with us... This is good news for me.

He said Jerry is likely gonna play in that 4 spot (4th line) and then he said Frattin and jerry will probably start in the same spot on different teams but we think Frattin can move up the lineup more.

So Ashton-Carrick/Gauthier-Frattin 4th line???

If memory serves, he also said that Holland would slot in on the 4th line, and said that Ashton was NHL caliber, so he's probably thinking a kid 4th line of that can play a good 12 minutes a night.

So that leaves our forwards as:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - ???
Komarov - ??? - Clarkson
Ashton - Holland - Frattin

So I guess he's gonna try to acquire a 3rd line center and another winger, unless he thinks one of Leivo or Nylander is ready to slot in on the 2nd line

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I stated that D'Amigo " was no where near as dominating in the AHL as Frattin was at the same age." I was just comparing the two guys and how they looked on the ice.

With the Marlies Frattin produced at .80 ppg, 0.53 GPG, while D'Amigo has a 0.52 ppg. Frattin was on the top line scoring goals by driving the net hard, being very physical, like a power forward. D'Amigo for most of his AHL career has been solid, a guy you didn't expect to make a mistake, but you didn't expect him to get the big goal either.

Frattin had 14 goals in 23 games his first season with the Marlies and added 10 more in 13 playoff games. That is some crazy goal scoring, even at the AHL level.

D'Amigo is now 23 so about the same age Frattin was when he was with the Marlies.

Frattin age 23-24 First Year AHL/NHL
2011-12 Toronto Maple Leafs

D'Amigo age 23-24 ... has't happened yet!!!!!

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
If memory serves, he also said that Holland would slot in on the 4th line, and said that Ashton was NHL caliber, so he's probably thinking a kid 4th line of that can play a good 12 minutes a night.

So that leaves our forwards as:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - ???
Komarov - ??? - Clarkson
Ashton - Holland - Frattin

So I guess he's gonna try to acquire a 3rd line center and another winger, unless he thinks one of Leivo or Nylander is ready to slot in on the 2nd line.

Franson and Reimer could be assets needed for a #2RW. Considering the game kadri and lupul play, I would be hoping for a more aggressive defesively sound PF. A RW version of Bickell lets say or Berglund if he can play as a RW. We need a more physical presence in the top 6.

The 3C we should sign

Tucker93

Apr 5, 2013
Ottawa
Franson and Reimer could be assets needed for a #2RW. Considering the game kadri and lupul play, I would be hoping for a more aggressive defesively sound PF. A RW version of Bickell lets say or Berglund if he can play as a RW. We need a more physical presence in the top 6.

The 3C we should sign

Agreed on the 2nd line winger.

And I can't stand the guy, but picking up Ott would be hilarious. Just imagine the hijinks that a line of Komarov, Ott, and Clarkson could get up to.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Frattin age 23-24 First Year AHL/NHL
2011-12 Toronto Maple Leafs

D'Amigo age 23-24 ... has't happened yet!!!!!

LOL. It doesn't change the fact that Frattin was a very dominate player his first year as a pro, right out of college. D'Amigo is still used as a 2nd/3rd liner on the Marlies, scoring just over a 0.65 ppg, in his 3rd year as a pro. Frattin, right out of college, was putting up .61 goals per game(not points). If anything D'Amigo should be further along in his development now than Frattin was his first year. That one year of age difference should be easily negated by that fact that it's D'Amigos third year playing pro.

Again D'Amigo has the potential to turn into a good role guy, but Frattin has the potential to actually score a few goals for us while being able to play the same role. D'Amigo has not shown, by any stretch of the imagination, the same knack for putting the puck in the back of the net.

Just a question. How many Marlies games do you attend a year? I'm just trying to get a understanding what you are basing your opinion on. It's just hard for me to believe that anyone who attended even a few games a year would be asking me what I meant when I said Frattin was more dominant his first year with the Marlies then D'Amigo ever has.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
LOL. It doesn't change the fact that Frattin was a very dominate player his first year as a pro, right out of college. D'Amigo is still used as a 2nd/3rd liner on the Marlies, scoring just over a 0.65 ppg, in his 3rd year as a pro. Frattin, right out of college, was putting up .61 goals per game(not points). If anything D'Amigo should be further along in his development now than Frattin was his first year. That one year of age difference should be easily negated by that fact that it's D'Amigos third year playing pro.

Again D'Amigo has the potential to turn into a good role guy, but Frattin has the potential to actually score a few goals for us while being able to play the same role. D'Amigo has not shown, by any stretch of the imagination, the same knack for putting the puck in the back of the net.

Just a question. How many Marlies games do you attend a year? I'm just trying to get a understanding what you are basing your opinion on. It's just hard for me to believe that anyone who attended even a few games a year would be asking me what I meant when I said Frattin was more dominant his first year with the Marlies then D'Amigo ever has.

I don't doubt Frattin was better, but he was older and wasn't given a defensive role on the team.

You can't claim "at the same age" because it never happened.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The conditional 7th is nothing, this is Frattin for D'Amigo. I like D'Amigo, but I'd say his downside would have been a guy who'd never play consistently for us, and his upside would have been a 3rd liner. Frattin is an NHLer for us for sure, who had very good chemistry with Kadri, and could definitely work out as a solid 2nd line winger for us. This is a no brainer, good move for us, really don't see how anyone can complain about it.

Even if Frattin starts lower in the lineup, I can definitely see him moving up to the 2nd line if he plays well, especially since he's show very good chemistry with Kadri in the past. Once the dust settles, I can see our top 9 working out something like this:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - Holland - Clarkson

Which is pretty decent. Not amazing, but definitely not bad.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
I don't doubt Frattin was better, but he was older and wasn't given a defensive role on the team.
That is pure speculation at best.
Frattin earned his spot, and kept it by scoring goals, and being very physical. Anyone who actually attended a few of those games would know this. Nothing changes that fact that he was scoring at 0.61 gpg his first year as a pro. That is an insane rate to score goals at in the AHL.

D'Amigo has been given quite a few chances in the top 6 over the last few season, he just couldn't produce. Again anyone who goes to the Marlies would know this.

D'Amigo's realistic upside is Bozak light without the offense, but he is much closer to a guy like McClement. Sure, maybe something magical happens and something clicks, and he starts to produce out of no where. But that's what it would be, out of no where.

You can't claim "at the same age" because it never happened.

Reading would help. I said "about the same age...". 23-24 (first year pro) 22-23(3rd year pro) is close...hence about.

Again, How many Marlies games do you attend a year?

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
I saw Frattin a lot here in LA and he was absolutely NOT the guy he was in Toronto.

I can't see him top 6 if he plays the way he did on LA. He was invisible.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
The conditional 7th is nothing, this is Frattin for D'Amigo. I like D'Amigo, but I'd say his downside would have been a guy who'd never play consistently for us, and his upside would have been a 3rd liner. Frattin is an NHLer for us for sure, who had very good chemistry with Kadri, and could definitely work out as a solid 2nd line winger for us. This is a no brainer, good move for us, really don't see how anyone can complain about it.

Even if Frattin starts lower in the lineup, I can definitely see him moving up to the 2nd line if he plays well, especially since he's show very good chemistry with Kadri in the past. Once the dust settles, I can see our top 9 working out something like this:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - Holland - Clarkson

Which is pretty decent. Not amazing, but definitely not bad.

Decent but not great on defense. Which trio would we play against opposing top lines? Do you think Holland can succeed in a shutdown type role? I do however like the idea of having some balanced lines- maybe even swapping Komarov and Lupul in that scenario. The rangers seemed to have some success with that approach. Their third line was often their most dangerous in the finals.

I'm not convinced that our team is a finished product yet. Still a couple more moves coming. Frattin is really an unknown quantity at this point too after having two other teams give up on him so quickly. Of course I'll be rooting for him to regain his form.

Last edited:

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
I saw Frattin a lot here in LA and he was absolutely NOT the guy he was in Toronto.

I wouldn't expect him to be a top 6 guy for us. A 3rd liner who can also put a few goals in the net is my expectation. Maybe someone that can move up and down the line.

At the same time we are taking a bit of risk with him.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012

i've said this before, but he wasn't the same when he came back from the mcl injury even on the leafs. and i've always rooted for him because of his personal story.

i would instantly take a pre knee injured frattin over d'amigo, but now i'd take d'amigo over frattin. i disagree with nonis saying d'amigo's a fourth liner as he's infinitely better than orr, mclaren, etc. he could easily play on third, and if he could be consistent, maybe a tweener. i definitely like his speed and defense better than clarkson.

we also saw how bolland looked when he got back, and armstrong was never the same. in hockey certain injuries can take a permanent toll on a player.

while d'amigo wasn't a ppg at ahl during the regular season, he's mr. clutch, as shown at the worlds as well. at that point in his development, he looked more dominant than kadri.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland

“Last year I think we did a good job of having players play outside of their comfort zone and having certain guys do things that didn’t come natural to them" - Nonis on last summer's moves, concludes that he's assembled a group where players are more suited to their own role, says he thinks "it's more of the group that we were looking for" as a result.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Jerry D'amigo, 7th round pick and Ben Scrivens for Bernier

not bad not bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->