Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CAR] TOR acquire F Alex Galchenyuk for F Yegor Korshkov and D David Warofsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
With Grigorenko's stock falling down, I remember Galchenyuk really being the only guy on the draft who has that true #1 Center potential that the Leafs were desperately looking for. Not having a true #1 Center really overshadowed all of the Leafs other needs back then, even acquiring that elusive top 4 RHD was an afterthought during those times.

I remember my thought process at the time was we needed to move on from Mikhail Grabovski as a top 6 center and to kickstart the rebuild with a Mikhail Grigorenko, Alex Galchenyuk or Filip Forsberg. Didn’t want Trouba or Dumba. Didn’t even think about Morgan Rielly as an option. Completely off the radar.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Not much to show for 7 years. For a great development programme. Who else is in the pipeline? Liljegren and Sandin are still very raw. Robertson played like 5 games in the A. They drafted NHL ready guy. Poor luck.
Dubas has been GM for two years. Liljegren is one of the best players in the AHL. Yes, technically Robertson is too young for the and playing very well there.

Reactions: stickty111

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I remember my thought process at the time was we needed to move on from Mikhail Grabovski as a top 6 center and to kickstart the rebuild with a Mikhail Grigorenko, Alex Galchenyuk or Filip Forsberg. Didn’t want Trouba or Dumba. Didn’t even think about Morgan Rielly as an option. Completely off the radar.
I was the same. I wanted the same 3 players. Rielly was never a consideration until the day before. I remember watching an interview I believe with Paul Hendrick on LeafsTV. They kept mentioning Rielly. Like an absurd amount. And the tone of the mentions felt almost like hints. For the next 24 hours I just had a feeling it would be Rielly, which left me meh cause I wanted a centre.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Where are the the results of this development? On current roster we have Holl, Dermott, Nylander and Engvall. Nylander is talented player. He would make NHL anyways. Dermott and Engvall still fighting for the job. Holl is the only success story so far.
Kapanen, Johnson, Brown all got traded and replaced with vets.

You could argue that Hyman, Matthews, Marner and Rielly all developed while on the Big team, they are better players now than they were when they were drafted. Getting better after your draft year is not a guarantee. When I read the reports of how their skating coaches spend so much time making sure they have good physic's in their form, that is development. When you look at how the players spend time with shooting coaches in the off season, that is development.

Reactions: Eric bungay

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I wish Galchenyuk got a shot to play tonight instead of Barabanov but I’m sure Keefe wants Galchenyuk working with the trainers a little longer to get more familiar with the system and know nothing is going to be given here regardless of what spot you were drafted at.

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
You could argue that Hyman, Matthews, Marner and Rielly all developed while on the Big team, they are better players now than they were when they were drafted. Getting better after your draft year is not a guarantee. When I read the reports of how their skating coaches spend so much time making sure they have good physic's in their form, that is development. When you look at how the players spend time with shooting coaches in the off season, that is development.

We don't know how those players would develop on another team to compare.

But we do know that successful teams have much more players developed in the A. Look at Boston full of young players promoted from Providence. While Leafs patch holes with vets. Their defense was drafted and developed. McAvoy started to play in the NHL, but Carlo, Miller played several seasons in the A. That's not good for the Leafs.

And Rielly is not a good example. Dude is hunting for points instead of playing the right way.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I remember being so damn high on this guy. I only wanted him or Rielly during their draft year. And was PISSED when he went to the habs....and lo and behold...man got ruined with the habs like crazy because well habs scout was always great but their development has been questionable for a while.

Heres hoping he can turn it around, as I do have a soft spot for him.
I'm guilty to. Burke's "best player in the draft" sounded like bullshit and I wanted the potential #1 C so badly. Not surprisingly he's still employed in hockey and I have never been considered :P

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I'm guilty to. Burke's "best player in the draft" sounded like bullshit and I wanted the potential #1 C so badly. Not surprisingly he's still employed in hockey and I have never been considered :P

I firmly believe Burke would have said that about whatever guy we ended up with. I don't put stock in any word he's ever said.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
His job was never in jeopardy. He is doing his job.
We need to finish high and win a round or two for Dubas to be safe. He gave up a Hunter pick for a guy who has played on 6 teams in 2 years? The game against Calgary proved we need some secondary scoring. This trade wont do much.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
We need to finish high and win a round or two for Dubas to be safe. He gave up a Hunter pick for a guy who has played on 6 teams in 2 years? The game against Calgary proved we need some secondary scoring. This trade wont do much.
Yes, not just any Hunter pick; the only one that has shown any promise. The Calgary game was just one game. It proved the same thing as the other Calgary games.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Korshkov may have some untapped potential at 24 like Mikheyev did when he first came to us, so it's a bit of a shame to see him go, even if he developed at a glacial pace the past half decade while being an overage pick.

That said, what's his maximum upside, a 30-40ish point winger a la Galchenyuk during a normal down season?

Reactions: banks

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
We don't know how those players would develop on another team to compare.

But we do know that successful teams have much more players developed in the A. Look at Boston full of young players promoted from Providence. While Leafs patch holes with vets. Their defense was drafted and developed. McAvoy started to play in the NHL, but Carlo, Miller played several seasons in the A. That's not good for the Leafs.

And Rielly is not a good example. Dude is hunting for points instead of playing the right way.

True but we do know players who were drafted in the first round did not develop after their draft year, Galeynchyk, Grieogrenko, Yakupov, development of your prospects is not just in the AHL, you can say you have a good development program if your top picks show progressive growth from their 1st year, there are very few McDavids and Crosbys , who no matter where they go they will be elite players.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Not much to show for 7 years. For a great development programme. Who else is in the pipeline? Liljegren and Sandin are still very raw. Robertson played like 5 games in the A. They drafted NHL ready guy. Poor luck.
Part of that programme is developing/drafting assets that can be traded.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Galchenyuk doesn't look very pleased. I understand he prob is exhausted and shocked and things are not going very good in his career... but he doesn't look excited at all. Hopefully he has an open mind and is willing to earn a spot. Keefe sounds like he wants him to start on bottom 6 - we will see if Galchenyuk will be open minded about it.

Bidding his time until he can return to the KHL.

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Part of that programme is developing/drafting assets that can be traded.

They traded Kadri for basically nothing. And developed nobody. Look at Boston defense. Drafted and developed guys in top 4. We have Rielly and bunch of vets. Patchwork team. In 7 years they drafted and developed 0 top 4 defenseman.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
They traded Kadri for basically nothing. And developed nobody. Look at Boston defense. Drafted and developed guys in top 4. We have Rielly and bunch of vets. Patchwork team. In 7 years they drafted and developed 0 top 4 defenseman.

We did use his capspace for free agency.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Where are the the results of this development? On current roster we have Holl, Dermott, Nylander and Engvall. Nylander is talented player. He would make NHL anyways. Dermott and Engvall still fighting for the job. Holl is the only success story so far.
Kapanen, Johnson, Brown all got traded and replaced with vets.
Players we developed still count. It shouldn't matter if they are on the team or not, the person you are quoting about was talking about how good it is, it shouldn't matter if we got rid of those players for more assets or bad trades or w.e. The development was a success if you want to go the whole black and white route.

And using a little bit of logic and forethought, it's silly to exclude players who are about to make the jump. You say Liljegren doesn't count but would you trade him for a measly low-round pick? how about Sandin? or Robertson?
No, you likely wouldn't. Not everything is black or white, there are grey areas. Players about to break out should count until proven otherwise. These aren't just any players, they are literally our best prospects. Being cynical and thinking they haven't made the team so they won't or don't count is silly. They have clearly been developed and require a little opportunity.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Justin Holl was developed. Dermott is an NHL defenceman.

Dubas took control of the draft in 2018 and for the previous 3 years (post Burke) the focus of our top picks was at forward, not defence. Dubas era so far looks decent:

2018 Entry - Rasmus Sandin
2019 Entry - Nick Robertson

With Dubas its all about the quickest way to turn picks into assets so we'll need to reassess his work in 2-3 years.

Reactions: Menzinger

moon111

Oct 18, 2014

Can you imagine if we had Kadri? I'd place him ahead of Mikheyev, Vesey or Engvall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad