Proposal: TOR/CAR (minor deal)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Would something like Andreas Borgman and Pierre Engvall for Roland McKeown appeal to Carolina?

I know the right side is fairly loaded. Leafs have an abundance of wingers and Engvall is blocked. He’s been pt/game since being on the top ahl line. He’s fast, big, good defensively and has a nice shot. I think in previous years he’d have a call up, probably like McKeown would if Carolina wasn’t so deep on defense.

Borgman is a left handed defenseman that can skate the puck out of his end surprisingly well for a guy that plays a heavy game like him. We have more left handed defenseman joining the Marlies next year.

Not the typical blockbusters our fan bases usually discuss on here lol

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
From the little we've seen of McKeown, he's a legit NHLer (in a bottom pairing capacity). I'd hope/expect if we move TVR, for instance, McKeown will get the call. I'd think McKeown would be a sweetener in a bigger deal, not a minor swap..

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
McKeown protects the Canes in the event that Fox opts for the free agency route. I don't think the Canes will move him for realistic value until that gets sorted out.

From the little we've seen of McKeown, he's a legit NHLer (in a bottom pairing capacity). I'd hope/expect if we move TVR, for instance, McKeown will get the call. I'd think McKeown would be a sweetener in a bigger deal, not a minor swap..

Makes sense, from my perspective I was just looking for an option for 3rd pairing right defense next year. We always talk big deals on here but finding smaller mutually beneficial ones are nice too.

Engvall was someone I thought really fit with your group and how you play.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Makes sense, from my perspective I was just looking for an option for 3rd pairing right defense next year. We always talk big deals on here but finding smaller mutually beneficial ones are nice too.

Honestly, I know nothing about Engvall, but I gotta figure he's more of what we already have in the cupboard. We don't need more depth at this point, we need bona fide top 6 play drivers, which is why I say we'd use him as a + for a solid forward, or he would fill the gap of another RD we move.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Honestly, I know nothing about Engvall, but I gotta figure he's more of what we already have in the cupboard. We don't need more depth at this point, we need bona fide top 6 play drivers.

I also figured Ferland and Williams were likely going

The play drivers are there for sure but then you’re talking guys like Pesce, Hamilton etc.

I went way more minor here.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I also figured Ferland and Williams were likely going

The play drivers are there for sure but then you’re talking guys like Pesce, Hamilton etc.

I went way more minor here.

Counterpoint: Canes just got a play driver in Nino Niederreiter straight up for a $4 million 4th liner.

Canes don't need to desperately overpay to add talent. They don't have to deal their #1 RHD on a steal of a contract. They just need to find another team like Minnesota who is looking to make a hockey swap. Part of the reason Cup contenders (like Toronto) are bad fits as trade partners. Teams like Toronto, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Washington, etc. will be looking at rentals like Williams and Ferland who can likely be had for futures.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Counterpoint: Canes just got a play driver in Nino Niederreiter straight up for a $4 million 4th liner.

Canes don't need to desperately overpay to add talent. They don't have to deal their #1 RHD on a steal of a contract. They just need to find another team like Minnesota who is looking to make a hockey swap. Part of the reason Cup contenders (like Toronto) are bad fits as trade partners. Teams like Toronto, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Washington, etc. will be looking at rentals like Williams and Ferland who can likely be had for futures.

Why not just TVR for picks/prospects?

Reactions: MinJaBen

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015

TVR makes a fair bit of sense if you're looking for someone fairly cheap to play 3rd pair, is more proven and can play up in a pinch. I imagine he's not a Cane next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad