Proposal: Tor - Buf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Toronto would never do this. Marner is better than Reinhart. Montour is nothing to write home about. I think TML would want to keep both of their players in this proposal.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Could it be... a trade proposal that's bad for the Leafs?

I don't see them needing Montour, so you can probably take him out. The gulf between Reinhart and Marner is quite large, to the point where I think Cozens is needed to bring it at all close.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
Anyone remember the days when Reinhart was better than Nylander and the Sabres were years ahead of the Leafs in their rebuild with addition of Eichel and Toronto drafted Marner.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Please stop. We arent trading him any sooner than next year if ever. If we did it would not be for a quantity trade. I'd rather have draft picks than that package. If you have to make Marner proposal at least make them for star D men.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Please stop. We arent trading him any sooner than next year if ever. If we did it would not be for a quantity trade. I'd rather have draft picks than that package. If you have to make Marner proposal at least make them for star D men.

Not gonna get a star dman for a winger... See Hall vs Larsson deal, or any similar deal for that manner.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Not gonna get a star dman for a winger... See Hall vs Larsson deal, or any similar deal for that manner.

So you are using a deal, that was panned by virtually everyone as a stupid move by Chiarelli as the "example" of what Marner could, or could not get in a trade? Seems strange to use an acknowledged bad deal to make your case.

Young Star wingers and young Star Dmen don't get trade often, which is why coming up with a comparable is difficult. The closest recent one I can come up with is CGY/CAR.

Elias Lindholm, who was a less than 50 point winger at the time of the trade and much less valuable than Marner (but less expensive), was the main piece in a trade for Dougie Hamilton, who was/is a "star dman". Yes, it was a bigger deal that included an average #4/5 D in Hanifin for Ferland and Adam Fox (which turned into two NYR 2nd round picks) as well, but Lindholm for Hamilton were the main parts of that deal.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Marner is much better than Reinhart but we can't take Marners contract.

I mean maybe we throw in KO.. ha

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
LOL.

This just in: 1 bad GM defines all trades forever!

Fact is star wingers arent traded that often and one for one trades are even rarer but in the end you can always do a formula of what players are worth in draft picks and see what they line up with. Marner's value is that of a star player. To suggest you cannot ever get fair value for a 90 point player is of course absurd. You picked the only example of such a trade which everyone knew was bad at the time. Not much to go on for the hard stance you have taken.

You are right that there are few winger for d-men trade examples but that is also true of one for one trades for stars. Usually you trade a star you get quantity but this is HF and no one is going to want that trade. In reality if you look at past star d-men trade for pieces vs wingers there is lots of close values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->