Proposal: TOR-ARI

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
To Arizona:
Mitch Marner (10,893,000 x 5 years)

To Toronto:
Clayton Keller (7,150,000 x 8 years)
Niklas Hjalmarsson (5,000,000 x 1 year)

Add, subtract, do whatever you want. Really just wanted to hear your feedback on this.

I also had a question. Toronto is currently retaining 1.2 Million of Phil Kessel's 8 Million salary. Is there a way to trade that salary retention? Like give up a pick to a team that needs to get to the cap floor in order for them to retain Kessel's salary? I know Toronto did something similar with Robin Lehner when he was traded from Chicago to Vegas. They retained a portion of his contract and got a pick in exchange.

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
I'm curious about Yotes fans' thoughts on this. As a Leaf fan, I don't mind a Marner<->Keller+ trade (assuming sufficient cap can't be cleared elsewhere).

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
I'm curious about Yotes fans' thoughts on this. As a Leaf fan, I don't mind a Marner<->Keller+ trade (assuming sufficient cap can't be cleared elsewhere).
That was the whole point of this. Some food for thought.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Obviously we love Marner too and would like to reunite him with Dvorak.

The problem is that he is making $15m in real dollars, with almost all of it coming in a lump sum bonus that would basically kill off the Coyotes.

Not doable.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Obviously we love Marner too and would like to reunite him with Dvorak.

The problem is that he is making $15m in real dollars, with almost all of it coming in a lump sum bonus that would basically kill off the Coyotes.

Not doable.
I would NOT do this trade for multiple reasons as a Leaf fan but just for the sake of clarity. That bonus to Marner for next season has already been paid.
His real dollar cost for next season is now 700 000

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd do it, but I don't particularly love either Keller or Marner, sooo YMMV.
It's also not my wallet paying out an extra $3M next season, etc.

Last edited:

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
The value of this trade is so lopsided its gross. Marner is a 90 point two way winger and though he may be over paid by a million is way more valuable then keller and hammer. The coyotes don't have the combo of picks players and prospects to get marner.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There is a 40+ point difference between Keller and Marner.

The difference in cap hit and 1 year of Hammer doesn't bridge that gap. Not close to bridging it.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
IMO, the trade makes more sense without Hjalmarsson being involved...

Marner for Keller gets the Leafs closer to signing Pietrangelo, but including Hjalmarsson in the deal would make that signing all but impossible

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Clearly the Yotes do this if offered. Marner is LOTS better than Keller. You can figure out the money somehow.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Marner is owed a $14.3m bonus in summer 2021. Coyotes can barely pay their bills right now, this isn't happening.

Edit: I was wrong, that bonus was this offseason, and has already been paid. That would make Keller slightly less expensive in real $ going forward than Marner is (Marner is $35m over 5 years.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tripod

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
This is bad for the Leafs.

I don't like Marner's contract, but Keller's is worse.

Marner is significantly better than Keller and 1 year of Hjalmarsson wouldn't move the needle.

The only way/reason I see the Leafs trading Marner is for some really nice futures and only because they are signing Pietrangelo.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Not a fan of either team but from where I sit the base of Keller + for Marner isn’t the worst start I’ve ever seen but the plus is WAY more than an aged Hammer on a 1 year deal.

Post pick stripping I don’t know if the yotes have a reasonable plus to make this work. Maybe Chychrun but not sure if that’s palatable for either side??

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah if it was Chychrun....AND he was a RHD, then you could start to see why the Leafs would look more into the deal. But Hammer makes no sense for them in a deal involving Marner.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Can't happen as is, and I don't know what Arizona has that could bridge the value gap that also works for Toronto.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That was the whole point of this. Some food for thought.

The whole point of this trade is to clear cap for Toronto but this trade is adding about 1.2 million in cap for Toronto. Huh?

Marner for Keller++ isn't a bad start for Toronto if they wanted to sign Pietrangelo. The pluses can't have significant cap though as it defeats the purpose.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Marner is owed a $14.3m bonus in summer 2021. Coyotes can barely pay their bills right now, this isn't happening.

That 14.3 bonus was paid July 1st. It's for this year. There's a 9.8 million bonus in 2021 sure, and that can be tough for a team who can't afford bonuses, but Marner is only owed 35 million in money for the next 5 seasons.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That 14.3 bonus was paid July 1st. It's for this year. There's a 9.8 million bonus in 2021 sure, and that can be tough for a team who can't afford bonuses, but Marner is only owed 35 million in money for the next 5 seasons.

Ah Good catch. Yes that's actual just as doable as the Keller contract and they obviously don't care about cap hit.

Okay this deal makes more sense then, the Coyotes would just need to add something more. Hjalmarsson would be useful to the Leafs but he's not a high-end shutdown guy anymore and not a valuable addition with his cap hit.

One possible solution - the Coyotes retain half of Hjalmarsson's contract. He's only owed $2m in salary (assuming the $2m bonus was paid?), so they'd have to retain $1m? or $2m? and it would reduce his cap hit down to $2.5m this year. That would be a big add for the Leafs.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
The whole point of this trade is to clear cap for Toronto but this trade is adding about 1.2 million in cap for Toronto. Huh?

Marner for Keller++ isn't a bad start for Toronto if they wanted to sign Pietrangelo. The pluses can't have significant cap though as it defeats the purpose.
The trade does clear cap from Toronto's forwards but adds it to the D men. Isn't that what they need? Hjalmarsson has aged a bit but still a solid #4 guy.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

You just make it the mother of all HFboards trades.

Keller
Hammer @50%
Keumper

For
Mitch
Freddy
Kerfoot
Holl

Clears over 7.2M cap.

Holl to Hjalmarsson
Andersen to Keumper
Kerfoot to Keller
Marner to AP27

From AZ's perspective:
Keller to Marner
Keumper to Andersen
Hjalmarsson for Holl (yikes)
cap space to Kerfoot

Cap situation for AZ is bad after that, but you have to think they find a way to make it work afterwards when the return is that decent. Money this year is pretty close.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The trade does clear cap from Toronto's forwards but adds it to the D men. Isn't that what they need? Hjalmarsson has aged a bit but still a solid #4 guy.

The only way you ever trade Marner is if it's to clear cap space for Pietrangelo if you can get really good value for Marner. This does the opposite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad