Confirmed with Link: [TOR/ANA] TOR acquire Ben Hutton for 5th Round Pick

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Finished a few hits, including that nice one on Anderson, made simple plays, looks like solid bottom pairing depth to me. Would have no worries if he needed to play due to injuries.

Isn't it amazing how we have come to appreciate 'non puck-moving' D-men? I hope Dubas really has woken up and stopped being infatuated with small puck moving guys who can't play in their own zone.

We are paying our fleet footed forwards a lot of money...so get them the puck and let them fly. I don't need to see Reilly skate the puck over to their blueline and just dump it in. I want to see guys who can play solidly in their own zone like Brodie and Bogo can while making a solid first pass....that's all I want...

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Isn't it amazing how we have come to appreciate 'non puck-moving' D-men? I hope Dubas really has woken up and stopped being infatuated with small puck moving guys who can't play in their own zone.

We are paying our fleet footed forwards a lot of money...so get them the puck and let them fly. I don't need to see Reilly skate the puck over to their blueline and just dump it in. I want to see guys who can play solidly in their own zone like Brodie and Bogo can while making a solid first pass....that's all I want...

...we can afford to have defensive depth like Hutton because we have so many puck moving D

Reactions: Menzinger

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
...we can afford to have defensive depth like Hutton because we have so many puck moving D

Really? we have so many puck moving D that we can afford to have Bogo, Brodie, Hutton and Muzzin...I guess Reilly must have multiplied and I didn't see it. Who on this team besides Captain Morgan and Sandin makes lugging the puck out a major part of his game?...And don't say Dermott because he literally hits center ice and dumps it in. Holl is barely a hybrid in the sense that he mostly makes a good first pass instead of trying to skate the length of the ice but is capable of doing it once in a while.

How well do you think Joey Duszak and Mac Holloway are going to do in the NHL? just curious.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Really? we have so many puck moving D that we can afford to have Bogo, Brodie, Hutton and Muzzin...I guess Reilly must have multiplied and I didn't see it. Who on this team besides Captain Morgan and Sandin makes lugging the puck out a major part of his game?...And don't say Dermott because he literally hits center ice and dumps it in. Holl is barely a hybrid in the sense that he mostly makes a good first pass instead of trying to skate the length of the ice but is capable of doing it once in a while.

How well do you think Joey Duszak and Mac Holloway are going to do in the NHL? just curious.

My apologies if I can off as rude in my first post. Muzzin is an excellent puck moving D - he doesn't wheel it out like Rielly or Sandin, but he's great at connecting tape to tape and he's always giving Holl an option. Holl is similar too, always giving Muzz an easy out, but he definitely skates the puck out more than Muzzin. Both are prone to bad pinches, especially Holl, but they make the right play more often than not.

Even Bogo is decent at getting the puck out of the zone. When we first acquired him I figured he would be another glass-and-out guy like Polak but he's actually quite poised with the puck on his stick and excels at making plays look simple.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

I kind of hope fans have woken up and pick up on some basic patterns in the team build.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I kind of hope fans have woken up and pick up on some basic patterns in the team build.
Were a lot of fans wanting puck moving small defensemen? Were there a bunch of two way defensemen available last season? Last I check dubas first choice was brodie and back up was Barrie. Dubas also was trying to sign Hutton and wanted Bogosian after bogo terminated his contract with Buffalo. But apparently changed his mind after the Carolina loss and decided to play youth. Which was a mistake imo. Bogosian could've been that tough veteran depth we needed when Muzzin went down.

Dubas said it in the past too... its not that he doesn't like tough forwards or physical ones... its just none Were available for the price he wanted to pay.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Were a lot of fans wanting puck moving small defensemen? Were there a bunch of two way defensemen available last season? Last I check dubas first choice was brodie and back up was Barrie. Dubas also was trying to sign Hutton and wanted Bogosian after bogo terminated his contract with Buffalo. But apparently changed his mind after the Carolina loss and decided to play youth. Which was a mistake imo. Bogosian could've been that tough veteran depth we needed when Muzzin went down.

Dubas said it in the past too... its not that he doesn't like tough forwards or physical ones... its just none Were available for the price he wanted to pay.

Everything about his build has been very systematic and carefully orchestrated. For some reason there's a group that can't follow the logic and thinks there's been this great awakening. They also lose sight that it's all been done in 3 years with two shortened seasons and a flat cap.

Reactions: Antropovsky

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
My apologies if I can off as rude in my first post. Muzzin is an excellent puck moving D - he doesn't wheel it out like Rielly or Sandin, but he's great at connecting tape to tape and he's always giving Holl an option. Holl is similar too, always giving Muzz an easy out, but he definitely skates the puck out more than Muzzin. Both are prone to bad pinches, especially Holl, but they make the right play more often than not.

Even Bogo is decent at getting the puck out of the zone. When we first acquired him I figured he would be another glass-and-out guy like Polak but he's actually quite poised with the puck on his stick and excels at making plays look simple.

No worries...I just thought that puck moving meant skating it out all the way to the other teams end. Personally...I could use 1 guy on the D corps to do that and the rest just solid defensively with the ability to make a good first pass.

I think the if your smart like Sandin is...you make your own options on what to do with the puck while lugging it out. Reilly pretty much just skates it to the blueline and shoots it in or goes down the left wing and circles the net whilst looking for a shin pad to shoot into.

I honestly think everyone thought that a defense first kind of player meant a Roman Polak or Marincin...or even a Ceci. We just had the worst experience and assumed anyone not getting a lot of points was useless. Bogo and Brodie have shown us that they can still be very effective while not being a liability. Look at Jake Gardiner...he was a puck mover who was shit in his own end...we had enough of Gardiner's and Barrie's to last us a lifetime.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Everything about his build has been very systematic and carefully orchestrated. For some reason there's a group that can't follow the logic and thinks there's been this great awakening. They also lose sight that it's all been done in 3 years with two shortened seasons and a flat cap.
Dubas would've had to trade kaps, johnsson last season to accommodate and acquire defenders. If they would've became 79 point wingers after traded.... we wouldn't have heard the end of it just like last season when Kadri looked like the second coming of Gilmour in Colorado.... (before falling back to earth this year).

Dubas doesn't have a crystal ball, most of us loved Kaps and Johnsson going into last season.

Armchair GMs in here acting like they would've moved all the right players at their peak values.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Dubas would've had to trade kaps, johnsson last season to accommodate and acquire defenders. If they would've became 79 point wingers after traded.... we wouldn't have heard the end of it just like last season when Kadri looked like the second coming of Gilmour in Colorado.... (before falling back to earth this year).

Dubas doesn't have a crystal ball, most of us loved Kaps and Johnsson going into last season.

Armchair GMs in here acting like they would've moved all the right players at their peak values.

He walked into a team with an almost empty prospect pool and no d-corps. In roughly 2 1/2 years he has addressed everything. He was firstly faced with the big 3 off ELC plus wooing Tavares. Locked his big money into his elite players in or entering their primes. Proper thinking (one rarely seen in TO). At the draft table he consistently goes for the most skilled players available. Again smart because you need rolling ELC players and skill pans out more than particular attributes (read grit and character or size).....they remain valuable assets even if you didn't keep them. This has allowed us to hit on the likes of Sandin, Robertson, Niemela etc. He also then set about the D with the likes of Muzzin. His first choice was Brodie but Kadri blocked it. Looks like Dubas was right again. Guys like Barrie and Ceci were stop gaps (one year guys for a reason). Wanted Bogo but couldn't get him. This year (and part of last) he addressed veteran presence and grit. These are the easiest things to add and should come at the cheapest asset and salary cost to your team, as they did. Not really looking to go down this road but it's basically the opposite approach to Lou who spends way more than he should on vets who aren't primary producers and then can't add the stars or core.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
He walked into a team with an almost empty prospect pool and no d-corps. In roughly 2 1/2 years he has addressed everything. He was firstly faced with the big 3 off ELC plus wooing Tavares. Locked his big money into his elite players in or entering their primes. Proper thinking (one rarely seen in TO). At the draft table he consistently goes for the most skilled players available. Again smart because you need rolling ELC players and skill pans out more than particular attributes (read grit and character or size).....they remain valuable assets even if you didn't keep them. This has allowed us to hit on the likes of Sandin, Robertson, Niemela etc. He also then set about the D with the likes of Muzzin. His first choice was Brodie but Kadri blocked it. Looks like Dubas was right again. Guys like Barrie and Ceci were stop gaps (one year guys for a reason). Wanted Bogo but couldn't get him. This year (and part of last) he addressed veteran presence and grit. These are the easiest things to add and should come at the cheapest asset and salary cost to your team, as they did. Not really looking to go down this road but it's basically the opposite approach to Lou who spends way more than he should on vets who aren't primary producers and then can't add the stars or core.

He's done a very good job, but let's not pretend he came in to a bad situation. He probably got the best starting roster of any Leafs GM ever.

The expectation was and is playoff success, nobody cares about rebuilding a prospect pool it has nothing to do with winning a cup in the immediate future.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He's done a very good job, but let's not pretend he came in to a bad situation. He probably got the best starting roster of any Leafs GM ever.

The expectation was and is playoff success, nobody cares about rebuilding a prospect pool it has nothing to do with winning a cup in the immediate future.
your down playing the the job the Dube has done

Dubie spent countless hrs on the ice with Mathews teaching him how to shoot and even more time showing Marner how to set up plays .

also before Dubie worked with Willie he had the mobility of Dion

Last edited:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
They weren't very deep when Burns was coach.

They were 6 strong. But Berehowsky stunk.
Their six-deep was pretty deep -- Ellett, Lefebvre, Macoun, Gill, Rouse and Mironov.

Berehowsky got into enough games but also spent time in the AHL and was never more than a 7th or 8th D. Mind you, he was very young then.

Bob McGill was also hanging around in the pressbox on his second tour of duty, but I dont think he added much.

I saw them play at MLG. They were a pretty solid defence corps that really knew how to move the puck out of their own end. Even including this years' team, I dont think we've seen that kind of defensive competence on the Leafs since then.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
What a beautiful hit on that big baby Anderson; guy does nothing but charge and cross check l, then gets fed some glass and his chin drags on the ice complaining to the refs. f*** him and the seat he plays for

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

Hollowell could help soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->