Confirmed with Link: [TOR/ANA] TOR acquire Ben Hutton for 5th Round Pick

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Hutton is a lot better at hockey than some posters are at English.

I would gladly give two fifth-round picks to see a Leafs' defenceman plaster Anderson into the boards four games before the playoffs. I think the Leafs already have fair value for that pick -- even if he never played another game.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
he suxks hes a pilon out there with 0 puck skills
considering we could have gotten merrill for a 5th rounder, its a shame we ended up with hutton

You missed a good game Saturday.
Worry free hockey while Hutton was on and played physical. had a presence about him.

And you obviously have not watched Merrill at all for Montreal have you. TIRE FIRE.
11 games
0 goals
0 assists
YUP, a real shame Dubas didn't get him.

BudForLife

Jul 18, 2009
Toronto
Usually yes 5th rounders rarely make an impact and not that I don’t agree with you, on a lark I picked a random team to check out their 5th rounders. I figured the Wild were a middle of the pack team and guess which round Kaprizov was picked in.

I totally agree that late rounds are a crapshoot.

Sometimes teams get lucky and find a gem.

Leafs drafted Tomas Kaberle in the 8th round.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I feel like a decent portion of this board have liked Hutton since his Canucks days.

He's looked solid in the games he's played.

Would not mind at all if he's our 7th d-man next season.

Yup, he's a nice fill in.

I think that Sandin's been playing so well, that Hutton stepping in just shows how far ahead Sandin is. That doesn't takeaway from Hutton being a solid, reliable depth defender.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I feel like a decent portion of this board have liked Hutton since his Canucks days.

He's looked solid in the games he's played.

Would not mind at all if he's our 7th d-man next season.
That’s basically when Hutton is at his best.... you don’t want him filling in your top 4... or really him playing on a nightly basis.... but he’s a very good 7th dmen. It was a smart move to add him at the deadline as he’s been in the league for a while and if your young dmen struggle he is a capable back up plan

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

I think that Sandin's been playing so well, that Hutton stepping in just shows how far ahead Sandin is. That doesn't takeaway from Hutton being a solid, reliable depth defender.

I might be over simplifying but us Leaf fans do fall in love with their own players. I have been fretting about losing Dermott in the expansion draft.
And up steps Hutton and his $900K salary and if Saturday is any indication Hutton can fill in on the bottom pair easily.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Hutton showed a lot of promise right away when he stepped into the league here in Van. Has all the tools to be an every day D-Man, and realistically would be an everyday D-Man on 90% of NHL rosters. Think he wore out his welcome a bit here, although I won't speak for Canucks fans on that. I know my buddies who are Canucks fans liked him but also were frustrated with him because he couldn't take the next step in his game. There was a ton of hype when he first stepped in to the Canucks lineup, and I think the expectations got a bit too high too early. As for his game in TO. I think he is a perfect depth D-Man. Plug and play option, that can play 15+ mins at any given point. It was a sneaky good pickup by KD.

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I might be over simplifying but us Leaf fans do fall in love with their own players. I have been fretting about losing Dermott in the expansion draft.
And up steps Hutton and his $900K salary and if Saturday is any indication Hutton can fill in on the bottom pair easily.
I thought he was very good as well , but 1 game and “Hutton can fill in our bottom pair easily “
Personally I think that’s a bit , ohhhh shall we say quick to determine ????
We develop a nice DMan in our system for a number of years and a career 6 -7th d man can fill his role after one good game ??
Sorry I can’t go their , not even close
Go Leafs Go

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciao

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Why are you trying to takeaway from Hutton being a solid, reliable depth defender

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Might not be a popular opinion but until Bogo is back and healthy I would prefer the following D pairings

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Hutton Dermott

Hutton can PK (reducing burden on other D-men) AND plays mean near the boards (required for the playoffs). Absolutely loved how he crushed Anderson near the boards

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Why does everyone assume Hutton is coming out for Sandin in the playoffs? If Bogo is ready obviously he's in over both but Hutton playing last game would indicate to me he's in over Sandin.

Keefe said Sandin wouldn't play again due to salary cap issues going forward, the only possible reason for that is they need to clear space to activate Nash for the last 2 games (or Andersen although I don't see that or even think its possible), but you don't have to do anything until you actually activate Nash so there was no reason why Sandin couldn't have played last game. If they plan on activating Nash and intend on Sandin playing game 1 of the playoffs wouldn't you have played Sandin against the Habs so he could get one last game in before you don't have the cap space. In that scenario Hutton has to play the last 2 games anyway so it's not just a matter of getting Hutton into a game.

Reactions: Ciao

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I think they had a cap problem with Sandin, and wanted to see a bit more of Hutton before the puck drops for the playoffs.

I don't remember the Leafs being this deep on defence since Pat Burns was coach-- and maybe before then.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Might not be a popular opinion but until Bogo is back and healthy I would prefer the following D pairings

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Hutton Dermott

Hutton can PK (reducing burden on other D-men) AND plays mean near the boards (required for the playoffs). Absolutely loved how he crushed Anderson near the boards
Sandin over Dermott

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think they had a cap problem with Sandin, and wanted to see a bit more of Hutton before the puck drops for the playoffs.

I don't remember the Leafs being this deep on defence since Pat Burns was coach-- and maybe before then.

They weren't very deep when Burns was coach.

They were 6 strong. But Berehowsky stunk.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Great depth option, he played a good solid game yesterday and delivered this nice hit on Anderson

If he does nothing else this year besides put Andersen on his ass, it was a trade well worth it. They mentioned Andersen hits on the last game he has something like 130 hits for the seasonal and 40ish are against the Leafs, This MFer likes to hit Leafs like I like to drink beer.

The guy has played less than a full season against us and I already despise him as a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad