Confirmed with Link: [TOR/ANA] TOR acquire Ben Hutton for 5th Round Pick

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Between Sandin, Dermott and now Hutton, there should be some competition for that 3rd pairing LD spot heading into the playoffs.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I really like this, the leafs top 6 d has been really good but if 1 guy gets hurt there was nobody with experience back there Hutton fixes now if there is an injury The Leafs aren't relying on raw rookies to fill the gap

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Wouldn't surprise me to see Hutton replacing Dermott in the bottom six. His PK skillset is probably why they targeted him.

hutton.jpg

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He's a solid NHLer, which is good for the teams #7 role. Keeps Marincin away as the #8 too

Depends on whether you are getting LA Hutton or Anaheim Hutton.

Marincin is a lot better than Anaheim Hutton. Even latter part of Vancouver Hutton. LA Hutton was pretty nice though.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I'd expect the Leafs to want to re-sign him to a 1 year deal for next season regardless. We've been linked to him for awhile.
Tidy bit of business if they do as he’d meet expansion requirements if re upped dermott as it stands would not without a new contract. solid depth guy, living in the Vancouver area I thought he was steady and was surprised to see benning move on from him

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Cheap, serviceable depth. Hopefully he doesn’t have to play, but if injuries strike, better safe than sorry.

5th round picks are nothing. In the past few decades, our best 5th round pick, by a wide margin, has been Kyle Wellwood. He’s in the conversation for all-time best Leafs 5th rounder, too. I’m not sure he even makes our current team, when we’re fully healthy.

Last edited:

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

We will love this guy

Yeah the video is pretty representative of the guy. Has a pretty high profile around the Brockville/Prescott area in the off season always positive and really good in the community.
Never heard a bad word about him. Friends who coached him rave about his attitude and work ethic. Great for the role he’s pegged for.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Tidy bit of business if they do as he’d meet expansion requirements if re upped dermott as it stands would not without a new contract. solid depth guy, living in the Vancouver area I thought he was steady and was surprised to see benning move on from him
Dermott only needs to be qualified in order to meet the ED requirements.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
In a realistic world, you're going to have defensemen that are either Jake Gardiner or Codi Ceci in the depth chart.
To be a good team, both need support in order to cover their weaknesses. When it comes to the defensive-defensemen
on the Leafs, although some have been given an offensive partner, they've often had very little in the way of support
from the forwards traditionally. How many defensive defenseman has Toronto gone through that had some player
who plays like a Zack Hyman or Nick Foligno fore-checking them, they actually managed to get possession of the puck and the forwards?
They're a small dot on the horizon. It's asking too much. Personally I think the only difference between Codi Ceci and Ben Hutton on the ice is
going to be the team's commitment to defense this season. Of course one might get judged harder based on their cap-hit,
but the only improvement is going to be the coaching.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Wouldn’t be surprised to see Hutton in the lineup after his quarantine to see what we got in him.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Dubas mentioned being interested in bringing in Hutton for some time. I'd expect him to receive his share of opportunities.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
When can he play?
Now I think. Just needs to wait for a game now. Probably learning sytems in practice etc...much more difficult for a D man to join a new team than a winger.

He was in the conversation for a longer deal with LA, 2nd pairing with Roy at the time. So he's capable. I think his blocks and hits are comparable to Dermott, he could play the PK and is pretty good at it. With Bogosian down, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a chance here. He's a lefty though.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Cheap, serviceable depth. Hopefully he doesn’t have to play, but if injuries strike, better safe than sorry.

5th round picks are nothing. In the past few decades, our best 5th round pick, by a wide margin, has been Kyle Wellwood. He’s in the conversation for all-time best Leafs 5th rounder, too. I’m not sure he even makes our current team, when we’re fully healthy.
Zach Hyman was drafted by FLA in the 5th round. So I wouldn't say they are nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad