Speculation: TOR/ANA making a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I'd rather a pick from the Ducks than Nattinen personally but could live with either as this is a deal that isn't worth fretting over too much.

Nielsen, while promising a few years ago, has really declined in value the last year or two.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
. What would it look like if the Leafs sold the farm for Montour or Manson?

Extremely unlikely that ANA moves anyone from the right side unless its to drop one of the new acquisitions (Sustr/Schenn). There is room to clear out some of the logjam on the left possibly tho

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Must've been a dare, or he wanted to see those sweet alternate jerseys Anaheim will be wearing next season.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Ducks dont need another young dman.. Especially a guy that wont be cracking the lineup anytime soon there

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Does a player of Nielsen's caliber even get a heads up when a trade is coming? I highly doubt it. My guess is he finds out just shortly before the rest of the world does.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Does a player of Nielsen's caliber even get a heads up when a trade is coming? I highly doubt it. My guess is he finds out just shortly before the rest of the world does.
Do any players get more than a couple hours of a heads up?
That'd suprise me..

Reactions: Krazy

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The trade history between the teams is undeniable. But the rest is mumbo-jumbo.

However, that's all we have to talk about right now. So lets jump off the deep end with speculation!

Nielsen would have very little trade value on his own. So let's go to the baseless assumption that it's a small part of something bigger. What would it look like if the Leafs sold the farm for Montour or Manson?

Kapanen? Liljegren? 1st rounder? Kadri? Nylander? What are we talking about here?
Manson for Nylander has basically been called fair value by both sides, but neither fan base has interest in doing it at this point in time.

Montour... would be hard to move right now... he had a pretty awesome 1st full season last year.... and he has a really high ceiling(despite certain Toronto fans that would love to under rate him).

The bigger problem is if we move either of them, our RHD goes from Manson- Montour - Schenn - Sustr - Welinski, to Montour/Manson - Schenn - Sustr - Welisnki… which is kinda meh. So I cant really see either being moved... in all honesty I feel like Fowler will be the odd man out sooner rather than later... Larsson/Mahura/Petterson are all pretty good... and I could see 1 making the team comfortable to move fowler.

Reactions: Dzonna and DanM

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Manson for Nylander has basically been called fair value by both sides, but neither fan base has interest in doing it at this point in time.

Montour... would be hard to move right now... he had a pretty awesome 1st full season last year.... and he has a really high ceiling(despite certain Toronto fans that would love to under rate him).

The bigger problem is if we move either of them, our RHD goes from Manson- Montour - Schenn - Sustr - Welinski, to Montour/Manson - Schenn - Sustr - Welisnki… which is kinda meh. So I cant really see either being moved... in all honesty I feel like Fowler will be the odd man out sooner rather than later... Larsson/Mahura/Petterson are all pretty good... and I could see 1 making the team comfortable to move fowler.

"Kinda meh" would definitely be the kind way of putting it. No matter who your top guy is, Sustr and Schenn as #2/3 RHD is the type of nightmare that leads to therapy.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Maybe it's because he never made the NHL until he was what, 23 or 24? And then had a decent year playing some pretty sheltered minutes as an offensive D. He is a borderline #4 which is still very good and obviously he is young and has room to keep growing.

The "underrating" was because when asked the price Leaf fans were told Nylander which is just laughable for a 24 year old rookie D who gets pretty easy minutes on a stacked D core.

Reactions: Joel Ward

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Maybe it's because he never made the NHL until he was what, 23 or 24? And then had a decent year playing some pretty sheltered minutes as an offensive D. He is a borderline #4 which is still very good and obviously he is young and has room to keep growing.

The "underrating" was because when asked the price Leaf fans were told Nylander which is just laughable for a 24 year old rookie D who gets pretty easy minutes on a stacked D core.
But Johnsson is going to be a star cause he lit up the AHL... or how bout kapanen, hes 22 and still hasn't found his spot in the nhl… and forwards usually jump into the nhl easier yet his value is pretty darn high in leaf fans opinions. Its not like he was chillin in the AHL doing nothing... he was lighting it up, its just tough competition to break into the Anaheim defense(see guys like Larsson/Pettersson now).

Easy mins, yet he played in our top 4. The problem is our D is/was stacked.... if he was in Toronto sure he prob would have played at 21 or 22... but he had Despres Manson Vatanen… ahead of him(and later on beiska because RC problems)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Three of those should be on the NHL roster as the 5-7 guys, so then Nielsen would join the other five to make up the Gulls D core.

Murray has indicated that he'd like to try and develop another physical young D.

As I pointed out on the Ducks board, I think Nielsen for Julius Nattinen would make a fair, change of scenery type swap.

I'd be down for that. Leafs could use another center and he could challenge Brooks and Ferguson for the bottom 6 center jobs in the AHL next year.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

When people first point to Montour's age it's a clear indicator they really know nothing about him.

His trajectory is as about as atypical as it gets. You're speaking as though he's your average 24 year old who has toiled at a certain level for years before making the NHL and that's far from the case.

Montour is a very rare case - late bloomer physically, late to focus on hockey as his primary sport and to switch to playing defense. He exploded offensively in the USHL and then was a dynamic offensive force at both the NCAA and AHL level in his one season stops - and then in his first full NHL season he put up 32 points playing a full top four role and not the sheltered situation you've described. Based on his talent level and trajectory there's just no reason to believe he's at his ceiling just yet.

Sorry but you do seem to underrate his value compared to what folks more in the know would describe. It was the TSN panel and not any Ducks fan who suggested it would take Nylander to get a discussion started on Montour.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
But Johnsson is going to be a star cause he lit up the AHL... or how bout kapanen, hes 22 and still hasn't found his spot in the nhl… and forwards usually jump into the nhl easier yet his value is pretty darn high in leaf fans opinions. Its not like he was chillin in the AHL doing nothing... he was lighting it up, its just tough competition to break into the Anaheim defense(see guys like Larsson/Pettersson now).

Easy mins, yet he played in our top 4. The problem is our D is/was stacked.... if he was in Toronto sure he prob would have played at 21 or 22... but he had Despres Manson Vatanen… ahead of him(and later on beiska because RC problems)

Well, sure Johnsson or Kapanen have that potential but I would never claim they are worth what a top line winger is worth.

When people first point to Montour's age it's a clear indicator they really know nothing about him.

His trajectory is as about as atypical as it gets. You're speaking as though he's your average 24 year old who has toiled at a certain level for years before making the NHL and that's far from the case.

Montour is a very rare case - late bloomer physically, late to focus on hockey as his primary sport and to switch to playing defense. He exploded offensively in the USHL and then was a dynamic offensive force at both the NCAA and AHL level in his one season stops - and then in his first full NHL season he put up 32 points playing a full top four role and not the sheltered situation you've described. Based on his talent level and trajectory there's just no reason to believe he's at his ceiling just yet.

Sorry but you do seem to underrate his value compared to what folks more in the know would describe. It was the TSN panel and not any Ducks fan who suggested it would take Nylander to get a discussion started on Montour.

I don't really care honestly. The fact is he is a #4 D at best right now. He is in no way worth the return of Nylander, and even if it was TSN, ducks fans picked it up.

I am just saying he doesn't hold anywhere the value Ducks fans claim he does.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Update: He has now unfollowed the Anaheim Ducks Instagram Account.
LOL someone told him.

Anyway, I don't know how common following other teams IGs is but given all the attention on social media it doesn't seem like a good idea.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Well, sure Johnsson or Kapanen have that potential but I would never claim they are worth what a top line winger is worth.

I don't really care honestly. The fact is he is a #4 D at best right now. He is in no way worth the return of Nylander, and even if it was TSN, ducks fans picked it up.

Which is why he wouldn't be made available.... glad you finally got it... no intention of moving Montour.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

And I'm just saying you don't know the player or haven't seen him play if you don't understand why he is so highly valued, not just by Ducks fans but even your own Toronto media who tend to see things through blue lenses. He's underrated by folks who like to scout players without watching them.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
And I'm just saying you don't know the player or haven't seen him play if you don't understand why he is so highly valued, not just by Ducks fans but even your own Toronto media who tend to see things through blue lenses. He's underrated by folks who like to scout players without watching them.

When will the TSN blue lenses myth die? If anything they try so hard to over come that they bash the Leafs and always say ridiculous stuff like Nylander has to be traded and Marner for Gudbranson (LOL)..

Even Kessel wasn't a top 50 player while he was a Leaf by TSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->