Speculation: TOR/ANA making a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Last night around 1am, Leafs prospect Andrew Nielsen removed Toronto as his location on Instagram and followed the Anaheim Ducks account as well.

Someone on Leafs twitter realized it at like, 230am and so it’s now making the rounds.

Give the Leafs extensive depth on D at the AHL level and the Leafs/Ducks trade history, it makes sense.

Could be nothing, could be a prospect-prospect swap, or maybe a massive blockbuster is coming our way :sarcasm:

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Last night around 1am, Leafs prospect Andrew Nielsen removed Toronto as his location on Instagram and followed the Anaheim Ducks account as well.

Someone on Leafs twitter realized it at like, 230am and so it’s now making the rounds.

Give the Leafs extensive depth on D at the AHL level and the Leafs/Ducks trade history, it makes sense.

Could be nothing, could be a prospect-prospect swap, or maybe a massive blockbuster is coming our way :sarcasm:

The trade history between the teams is undeniable. But the rest is mumbo-jumbo.

However, that's all we have to talk about right now. So lets jump off the deep end with speculation!

Nielsen would have very little trade value on his own. So let's go to the baseless assumption that it's a small part of something bigger. What would it look like if the Leafs sold the farm for Montour or Manson?

Kapanen? Liljegren? 1st rounder? Kadri? Nylander? What are we talking about here?

Force951

Jul 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Eh Ducks are really deep in the 5-ahl depth on D right now. Between Pettersson, Larsson, Welinski, Mahura, Schenn, Holzer, Sustr, Megna i don't see where he would fit.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Eh Ducks are really deep in the 5-ahl depth on D right now. Between Pettersson, Larsson, Welinski, Mahura, Schenn, Holzer, Sustr, Megna i don't see where he would fit.

Three of those should be on the NHL roster as the 5-7 guys, so then Nielsen would join the other five to make up the Gulls D core.

Murray has indicated that he'd like to try and develop another physical young D.

As I pointed out on the Ducks board, I think Nielsen for Julius Nattinen would make a fair, change of scenery type swap.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The trade history between the teams is undeniable. But the rest is mumbo-jumbo.

However, that's all we have to talk about right now. So lets jump off the deep end with speculation!

Nielsen would have very little trade value on his own. So let's go to the baseless assumption that it's a small part of something bigger. What would it look like if the Leafs sold the farm for Montour or Manson?

Kapanen? Liljegren? 1st rounder? Kadri? Nylander? What are we talking about here?

It doesn't make any sense for the Ducks to move either of those two D. Would you want Sustr & Schenn as your 2nd and 3rd best RHD?

Anaheim traded Vatanen and Theodore last year, no longer can afford to part with a top 4 D.

Reactions: iSophagus

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
It doesn't make any sense for the Ducks to move either of those two D. Would you want Sustr & Schenn as your 2nd and 3rd best RHD?

Anaheim traded Vatanen and Theodore last year, no longer can afford to part with a top 4 D.

Fair enough. And I really don't expect to find a deal. I was, as I said, jumping off the deep end. The teams really aren't good trade partners right now.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Three of those should be on the NHL roster as the 5-7 guys, so then Nielsen would join the other five to make up the Gulls D core.

Murray has indicated that he'd like to try and develop another physical young D.

As I pointed out on the Ducks board, I think Nielsen for Julius Nattinen would make a fair, change of scenery type swap.

Julius Nattinen would work for me. Leafs fans on our board were saying Kopacka from the obvious Soo connection.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Julius Nattinen would work for me. Leafs fans on our board were saying Kopacka from the obvious Soo connection.

Neither overwhelm me but Nielsen is no prize pig himself. Definition of a minor trade lol.

Reactions: Morgs

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

That does make some sense, though I'm probably Kopacka's biggest fan on the Ducks board and would hope they'd be more inclined to see what he can bring at the pro level before moving him.

We are building a bit of a glut of AHL forwards and it would be nice to move a slightly older guy like Nattinen or maybe Kevin Roy/Joseph Blandisi to get a D prospect and open up more opportunity for incoming prospects like Kopacka. Perhaps that would fit with the Leafs graduating some Marlies forwards and seemingly having a ton of AHL D depth?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
That does make some sense, though I'm probably Kopacka's biggest fan on the Ducks board and would hope they'd be more inclined to see what he can bring at the pro level before moving him.

We are building a bit of a glut of AHL forwards and it would be nice to move a slightly older guy like Nattinen or maybe Kevin Roy/Joseph Blandisi to get a D prospect and open up more opportunity for incoming prospects like Kopacka. Perhaps that would fit with the Leafs graduating some Marlies forwards and seemingly having a ton of AHL D depth?

I like the idea of the Ducks trading a forward for a Leafs defenseman, just to invert the myriad of proposals on this board.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
It's not a bad assumption to make but why would Anaheim want more D as they've already tried to waive Holzer through the league?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

I doubt we'd be interested in the "older" types of guys like Blandisi/Roy as the organization treats the Marlies as a pure development league. I could see us going for a guy around the same age as Nielsen, like Nattinen (and I guess not Kopacka).

That's exactly what's going on with us. After years of having 0 depth with defenseman, we've overcorrected and now have far too many and not enough spots. We need to find spots for guys like Durzi/Hollowell instead of moving them back for their overage seasons.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I doubt we'd be interested in the "older" types of guys like Blandisi/Roy as the organization treats the Marlies as a pure development league. I could see us going for a guy around the same age as Nielsen, like Nattinen (and I guess not Kopacka).

That's exactly what's going on with us. After years of having 0 depth with defenseman, we've overcorrected and now have far too many and not enough spots. We need to find spots for guys like Durzi/Hollowell instead of moving them back for their overage seasons.

Sandin, Rasanen (maybe - might stay in KHL another year but needs ELC), Lindgren all need spots next year too. Gordeev as well and Durzi....christ so many are coming.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Yeah I'd say Nattinen for Nielsen sounds perfect then. Similar age, both seemed to take a step forward post draft and then plateaued in the AHL due to skating issues. Both would seem to sit a bit higher on the AHL depth chart post trade, or in the least I think it would clear a bit of surplus for both sides and open more minutes for younger incoming prospects.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
The only criteria I have is that the Leafs include a pick on their end.

It could literally be from the 7th round, and I wouldn’t care. Given our trade history and how well we’ve been doing with picks from Toronto, chances are he’d be another NHL regular. :laugh:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Sandin, Rasanen (maybe - might stay in KHL another year but needs ELC), Lindgren all need spots next year too. Gordeev as well and Durzi....christ so many are coming.

Yeah, guys on NHL contracts today that will probably need a spot on the AHL team in October:

Liljegren
Borgman
Rosen
Ozhiganov
Marincin
LoVerde
Holl
Lindgren
Subban
Nielsen
Durzi (not signed yet - but would be OA in junior)
Hollowell (not signed yet - but would be OA in junior)

It's definitely time to get rid of some of our D depth for C depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad