Confirmed with Link: [TOR/ANA] Jhonas Enroth for 2018 7th round pick

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
its small but its almost like someone just giving us a 7th and freeing up a roster spot for nothing

**** i love lou

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
um, Hunter? :laugh:

just the running joke of how the 7th round pick is usually the one Thommie Bergmann gets to use and it usually pans out.

Hunter is good as well. Bergman has a long standing history of good NHL picks.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The Leafs have made deals every season with Anaheim it seems .. Actually the last time they didn't was the 06-07 season

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
From the Leafs perspective, Lou did some Be A GM mode trading here :laugh:. From Anaheim's perspective wouldn't it have made more sense to claim Gustavsson off waivers and simply re-assign him to their AHL team (thus acquiring a player for free), or is that not allowed in the CBA?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
From the Leafs perspective, Lou did some Be A GM mode trading here :laugh:. From Anaheim's perspective wouldn't it have made more sense to claim Gustavsson off waivers and simply re-assign him to their AHL team (thus acquiring a player for free), or is that not allowed in the CBA?

It's allowed but they'd have to expose Gusty to waivers as well

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Why not?
Recent Leafs 7th round picks (five in the past five drafts) include Loov, Johnsson, Engvall, and Korostolev. Loov has a decent chance of being a 7th D next year, Johnsson is still on track to be an NHL scoring winger maybe as early as next year, and other three have not flamed out at all with two being legit AHL depth at least as early as next year, too.
Perfect round to take a stashable guy (NCAA, Europe) and find unknowns, which seems in Hunters wheelhouse.
Why not?

We agree. Got it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Anaheim didn't want him on waivers for Free :amazed: so they gave up 7th round pick instead.

Now that is gooooood GMing ... Not !!! :shakehead

Its good GMing by Lou Lam for us, and that is all that matters. While the signing originally of Enroth was a real head scratcher, that mistake has now been rectified and so all is good now in the World.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Anaheim didn't want him on waivers for Free :amazed: so they gave up 7th round pick instead.

Its good GMing by Lou Lam for us, and that is all that matters. While the signing originally of Enroth was a real head scratcher, that mistake has now been rectified and so all is good now in the World.

Tokarski wasn't injured then, now he is they gave a 7th. It's not rocket science

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

They didn't need him when he was on the waiver wire.

Now that their 2 AHL goaltenders are injured... they do.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Tokarski wasn't injured then, now he is they gave a 7th. It's not rocket science

Edmonton had placed "the Monster" Jonas Gustavsson on waivers the same day Curtis McElhinney and his contract is similar to Curtis.

That would have been better rocket science for asset management that didn't cost a draft pick. ;)

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining that Anaheim's GM Murray feels obligated to keep taking Leafs goalie mistakes off our hands. :)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Christmas came late!

I like it - something for nothing. Just a 7th round pick - nothing to get excited about.

But with Hunter - could be an interesting/risky/high ceiling pick

He's gonna draft the next Zetterberg with that pick... you can book it! :sarcasm:

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015

They didn't want him in the NHL. Which is where he would have been placed had they claimed him. They didn't need him in the ahl. Their other ahl goalies were healthy.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They didn't want him in the NHL. Which is where he would have been placed had they claimed him. They didn't need him in the ahl. Their other ahl goalies were healthy.

Giving up draft pick to build/stock and AHL team with no desire to have that player have any value to your NHL teams seems like poor business to me.

Lets look at this the other way, and can you image if Lou was dealing away Leaf draft pick(s) to acquire player(s) that had cleared NHL waivers in order to fill spots on the Marlies only?

We seem to be on smart side of this ledger being the one that is getting a pick for a player that another team could have claimed for free and waived to the AHL themselves or gone with another option that didn't require NHL assets to obtain.

We seem to have gotten more guaranteed return for an AHL player we didn't want or need in Enroth, then we did trading Peter Holland who is playing in the NHL unless Holland is re-signed.

Picking up a goalie for Free off waivers and then trading extra spare parts in the organization that have zero value for a draft pick is something I fully applaud Lou for pulling off.

Last edited:

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I was a huge Enroth booster before we got him. I hoped very much that we'd get him. I even thought he'd be as good as our starter.

No doubt -- he was ****ing awful.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Meh - turned nothing into something.

That said I won't be surprised if aenroth is back in the NHL next season, he didn't get a fair shot here. Was a strange signing to begin with considering Babcock doesn't seem to like smaller goalies at all.

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
The Leafs have made deals every season with Anaheim it seems .. Actually the last time they didn't was the 06-07 season

"...every year, during their migration south, Ducks will land in the quaint little town of Toronto to pick up spare parts and sometimes outright garbage; leaving behind draft picks for all the good boys and girls, that also happen to be Leaf fans. This tradition has been going on for over 10 years and is a mystery to all..."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad