Confirmed with Link: [TOR/ANA] Jhonas Enroth for 2018 7th round pick

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

the leafs have been busy looking for someone to back up no. 1 man frederik andersen and claimed curtis mcelhinney off waivers from columbus on tuesday. That left them with three healthy starters in the american hockey league and made enroth expendable.

Anaheim was searching for some depth with ahlers dustin tokarski and matt hackett both injured. Enroth will report directly to the san diego gulls.

the 28-year-old swede signed a $750,000, one-year deal with the leafs in late august but fell out of favour quickly with coach mike babcock. He made six appearances for the nhl team, including four starts, and had an .872 save percentage with no wins before being sent to the ahl last month.

asset-wise, the leafs came out ahead with the recent set of moves.

Mcelhinney’s salary is basically a wash with enroth’s – he’s making $800,000 on an expiring deal – and the team acquired him for nothing. Toronto then turned enroth into a late pick while dropping back to 47 total contracts, gaining flexibility ahead of the march 1 trade deadline.

The organization also freed up more opportunity for antoine bibeau and garret sparks to get ahl starts. They are now the only two healthy goalies working out of ricoh coliseum.

veteran jeff glass was released from his professional tryout with the marlies on monday and has since signed an ahl deal with the rockford icehogs. Karri ramo also remains in the picture but is expected to be out another month after recently undergoing a follow-up procedure on his injured left knee.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I wonder whether Anaheim enquired about Sparks or whether Toronto is actually holding onto him...

Or maybe the offer was 5/6th for Sparks...

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I wonder whether Anaheim enquired about Sparks or whether Toronto is actually holding onto him...

Or maybe the offer was 5/6th for Sparks...

Nah sparks is signed through next year so we can expose him at the draft. Enroth was not. It's a move for anh ahl team, their goalies are injured and not really doing great either. Toronto still wants to see what they have in sparks/ bibeau (I'm not convinced either of them even becomes a decent backup) till they start putting some decent goalie prospects (woll is ????) In the pipeline. Overall though, we get a free asset from a free asset after we got a free asset (mcbackup), dumpster diving at its finest.:handclap:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm enjoying the fact that people think a 7th is worth anything. It's the next best thing to future considerations. Just be glad we dumped the guy and picked up a backup for free.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I'm enjoying the fact that people think a 7th is worth anything. It's the next best thing to future considerations. Just be glad we dumped the guy and picked up a backup for free.

Although likely, not all 7ths become worthless.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
You know, I used to think that 7th rounders were essentially useless. However, a poster on this very forum once put up the following graph that made me rethink my whole position. 7th rounder = good!

yost-draft1_53958.jpg

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Sweet. We upgrade our backup goalie position, get paid a 7th rounder for doing so, and dont need to add a contract.

I feel like we've done ok in the 7th round too. Stralman/Gunnarson were 7th rounders. As were other Swedish players Loov, Johnson, and Engvall, who have all at minimum become good SHL players (two now in the AHL). Maybe none become NHLers, but the potential is there. And more recently, Korostelev is a 6'4 PPG CHLer.

So the odds arent great on a 7th rounder, but it was free, and we do seem to regularly find at least good Marlies players out of that round, if not an NHLer.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
You know, I used to think that 7th rounders were essentially useless. However, a poster on this very forum once put up the following graph that made me rethink my whole position. 7th rounder = good!

yost-draft1_53958.jpg

Go look at previous drafts, that chart is clearly very liberal in their definition of nhler.

Still happy with this move though, good business

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

People always say this and it never makes any sense.

A 6th round pick is like almost like a 7th... a 5th is almost like a 4th... all the way down to a late 1st round pick is like a 2nd.

No. A 7th round pick is a 7th round pick and it will remain that.

A 7th round pick is so much better than future considerations, which is usually an AHL dead weight of some kind. You can package 7th round picks to move up, you can use them for depth purposes just like this. You can actually find decent players in that round as well.

I find it funny the Ducks traded for Toskala, Bernier and now Enroth over the last few years.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
The best thing is we freed up a roster spot. Draft picks for nothing and the chicks are free.

Plus the Ducks were in dire straits with their AHL game goaltending situation. Win-win.

Enroth was a solid back-up for L.A. .922 and 2.17. Too bad it didn't work out in Toronto.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Although likely, not all 7ths become worthless.
Why not?
Recent Leafs 7th round picks (five in the past five drafts) include Loov, Johnsson, Engvall, and Korostolev. Loov has a decent chance of being a 7th D next year, Johnsson is still on track to be an NHL scoring winger maybe as early as next year, and other three have not flamed out at all with two being legit AHL depth at least as early as next year, too.
Perfect round to take a stashable guy (NCAA, Europe) and find unknowns, which seems in Hunters wheelhouse.
Why not?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Lou made Anaheim an offer they couldn't refuse.

Offering them one of our goalies seem to be something they can't refuse :laugh:

Toskala, Bernier, Enroth....

Maybe they just can't say no. It's a glitch in the system!

Sparks for Lindholm (C5)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Offering them one of our goalies seem to be something they can't refuse :laugh:

Toskala, Bernier, Enroth....

Maybe they just can't say no. It's a glitch in the system!

Sparks for Lindholm (C5)

Murray "nah lou i dont wanna trade with you, we dont need anything"
Lou "I have a used goaliiiieeeeeeee"
Murray "alright a 7th. Which goalie is it anyway?"

Anyway best part here us losing a contract spot now at 47 meaning we can take extra contracts when we sell JVR &or Bozak, Polak and Hunwick

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I said early trades, there you have it. More incoming! The seal is broken!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->