Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Aaron Dell signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $800K)

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
2awv.gif

Reactions: Makaveli

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Curious why this sucks for Dell? If he plays himself into an NHL goalie role then he will, if not then he isn't good enough.
Because the leafs have a clear cut starter and one of the better backups in the league? The guys proven himself enough to be a reliable backup, and hes done his AHL dues

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This is a good deal for Leafs of course. A bit surprising, I'd have liked him over quite a few #2 goalies signed. For example, why did Oilers sign Mike Smith to such a rich contract when a guy like this was available for so cheap?

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
And with this, I'd argue Toronto has three goalies better than SJ. Hopefully Nabby and the dynamic duo can prove me wrong.

Dell is better than the other 2 goalies the Sharks have. There's a good chance the Sharks can claim Dell off waivers, and I hope that will happen at this low salary.

I like Dell and would've liked for him to get a legit backup job somewhere, but this is crazy talk.

Reactions: SotasicA

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Because the leafs have a clear cut starter and one of the better backups in the league? The guys proven himself enough to be a reliable backup, and hes done his AHL dues

If he's proven himself then why can't he beat out someone on TML for an NHL job then?

Guess I don't like the defeatist attitude I'm hearing.

Why can't he beat out either Andersen or at least Campbell? Why the assumption he isn't good enough to earn a spot and take it for granted he isn't and needs to go somewhere else?

I'm sticking up for him.

DrSteveBrule

cool guy
Jul 2, 2019
I, too, wish Dell could at least have a clear-cut backup job. He's definitely more than an AHL goalie. He can steal games at the NHL level, and I don't have numbers in front of me to back this up, but I feel like when he's gotten more consistent starts he's gotten more comfortable and performed better. And just on a personal level I like the guy and wish him well.

Reactions: themelkman

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
This is a good deal for Leafs of course. A bit surprising, I'd have liked him over quite a few #2 goalies signed. For example, why did Oilers sign Mike Smith to such a rich contract when a guy like this was available for so cheap?

Familiarity mostly I think. Suspect the Oilers were in on some of the "sexier" names, the Greisses & Crawfords, and when they went elsewhere, they circled back to Tipp's ol favorite

More than likely Dell had to drop his asking price once the goalie market settled. I doubt he was asking for $800k since FA started

But I'd agree, bit surprising a team like Buffalo didn't pick him up to play instead of the corpse of Hutton, but perhaps they have other plans....

DrSteveBrule

cool guy
Jul 2, 2019
If he's proven himself then why can't he beat out someone on TML for an NHL job then?

Why can't he beat out either Andersen or at least Campbell? Why the assumption he isn't good enough to earn a spot and take it for granted he isn't and needs to go somewhere else?

I'm sticking up for him.
I hope he does, but it definitely isn't the most desirable position for him.

Reactions: Iapyi

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I'm sticking up for him.

There is NO chance he beats out Andersen

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008
and now they have arguably the best #3 goalie in the league

You keep saying this, and you're not wrong, but there's a pretty real chance of him getting scooped off waivers if there's injury or someone unperforms

Glad to see the Leafs trying to add some depth though, it definitely makes sense, especially with what might be a real crazy season in terms of schedule

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You keep saying this, and you're not wrong, but there's a pretty real chance of him getting scooped off waivers if there's injury or someone unperforms

Glad to see the Leafs trying to add some depth though, it definitely makes sense, especially with what might be a real crazy season in terms of schedule

Under normal circumstances I'd agree but we don't know if the AHL or ECHL plays, I hope they do but if they don't teams will probably carry a taxi squad.

Waivers may not matter

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I agree it's quite unlikely but based on the point I'm trying to make it was prudent for me to include his name in my post.

I would say, short of serious long term injury it's highly unlikely he takes Campbell's job either

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008
Under normal circumstances I'd agree but we don't know if the AHL or ECHL plays, I hope they do but if they don't teams will probably carry a taxi squad.

Waivers may not matter

That's true

They might still have to "paper" guys who don't make the 23 man roster but we shall see, you could be right for sure

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Really sucks for Dell. He really was great when the sharks were awful and hes a legit backup not a number 3

I wonder why Montreal did not acquire him at that cost. He would probably have been fine as Price's backup for 30 games considering the Sharks problems last season.

Reactions: themelkman

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
He’s going to be playing there for sure. He’s not taking Freddy’s job, and Campbell is a decent backup. I can see a Freddy extension coming soon. Should get what Markstrom just did.
He will be claimed long before he dresses for the Marlies. He knows that, and is most likely why he signed the contract with the Leafs in the first place. If he’s not backing up Anderson he will be playing for another team. He has a one way deal. You cannot just bring him up and down at your will without having every other team having a chance to snag him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad