Top young players at WC

Joretus

Lasse Kukkonen is 25, so not under 25, but he still has only played one NHL season. I heard he's been Finland's best defenseman, any comments on his play?

Only solid D of Finland. Good in both ends. Nothing flashy, but then again he shouldn't be either.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
Anton Strålman has impressed on me.

He has looked very stable defensive while still providing offence.

But he is paired with Kenny J, so looks can decieve.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Anton Strålman has impressed on me.

He has looked very stable defensive while still providing offence.

But he is paired with Kenny J, so looks can decieve.

+1 Liked his game too.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Kontiola 1+5=6
Toews 0+4=4
Kessel 1+2=3
Stastny 0+3=3

They are best young players so far.

As mentioned, Hornqvist, Backstrom, Kulemin, Olezh, Darzins all of them made 3 or more points.

Peter Regin(21) Team Denmark made 4(1+3) points in 2 games.

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
I know, most German young players are not future NHL-players, but i think Philipp Gogulla and the young German defenders like Robert Dietrich, Sulzer, Draxinger, Hördler played very well.

Especially Dietrich(born 1986) could become a very good defender. He had ab amazing season here in the DEL.

tms23

Dec 28, 2006
i watched the germany/canada game and was also very impressed by gogulla, not only by that but also at the wjc he seems like he very fast with alot of skill and likes to play gritty

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
It depends what you expect. I'm sure he will bring so much energy and speed to the game that it will help to boost his linemates game too.

For some people drugs bring energy and speed too. Doesn't bring anything that the current team doesn't have. But then again. Against the swiss some energy would have been needed.

gscorer

Jan 9, 2006
IMO Niklas Bäckström is a little disappointment, nothing special so far. Lets see if steps up his game as the tournament continues.

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
Petri Kontiola is definetly the most dominant under 25 player at the tournament.
He might be a future Saku Koivu with alot more size. I hope he keeps up this good work, he's I think the only offensive player in Finnish team who has kept or lifted his level in every game.

Here's my top 5.

1. Petri Kontiola (FIN)
2. Phil Kessel (USA)
3. Jonathan Toews (CAN)
4. Nikolai Kulemin (RUS)
5. Robert Dietrich (GER)

Last edited:

TeamPlayer

Jan 11, 2003
criteria is that the player must be atleast under 25 if he has no nhl experience, or less than 2 full seasons of nhl experience.

here are some names:

nikolai kulemin
nicklas backstrom
anton stralman
tomas plekanec
jaroslav halak
alexander steen
jonathan toews

add more names, RANK YOUR TOP 5!!!

Toews did the most to improve his stock!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->