Top WHLers to Watch This Season

R S

Sep 18, 2006
http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-top-whlers-to-watch-this-season.html

Wrote this last week and never linked it here, so here it is:

Shane McColgan – Kelowna Rockets – The dynamic winger never quite reached his goal of being a high draft pick in the 2011 NHL draft, sliding into the 5th round. That fall, despite the fact that he lit up the WHL playoffs last year with 19 points in 10 games

Eric Comrie – Tri City Americans – I’m not sure any young WHL goalie has faced the kind of expectations recently that Comrie is set to face this season. That’s because the Americans went out and traded their two headed goaltending monster from last season as Drew Owlsey was sent to Prince George and Chris Driedger headed to Calgary.

Ayrton Nikkel – Brandon Wheat Kings – Nikkel is a guy that the average junior hockey fan probably doesn’t know, but you should. The defenceman was the centerpiece of the trade that sent star centre Brayden Schenn from Brandon to the Saskatoon Blades last season. He looks to be a rock solid player in the making. The Wheaties defensive situation will hurt Nikkel’s cause, as 7 defenceman are returning from last year’s club.

Kershaw

What was the big knock on McLogan? I am still shocked he fell to the Rangers, especially since he had a great playoffs and ended the season on a high note.

Edit: Ooops! Thanks for the read!

What can we expect from Jordan Weal, or Michael St.Croix? Both will probably get a ton of minutes on their respective clubs.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I didn't even know Calgary drafted Victor Rask, let alone the fact that he'll be playing here this year. I definitely plan on going to a lot of Hitmen games this year, something I didn't do enough of last year.

Also, for my money all 3 Reinhart's are players to watch this season. Definitely a Flames bias, but Max has taken great strides recently and I'm intrigued as to how he does this season.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I didn't 'forget' anyone, these are simply my views as to who I can't wait to see.

And I did see one game of Braid. He looked ok, but never stood out.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
What was the big knock on McLogan? I am still shocked he fell to the Rangers, especially since he had a great playoffs and ended the season on a high note.

The issue that I (and some other scouts) ran into with McColgan is that he will have a hard time playing the same smash-mouth style at the pro level. He looks like the kind of player, to me, that will be a great junior player, but not do well in the pros (Nigel Dawes may be a good comparison here). I'm a fan of McColgan, but he'll need to develop some of the other areas of his game before he's ready to move on to the next level.

On the topic at hand: nice article, RS ... some interesting notes in there. Looking forward to some WHL debates as the season wears on.

EDIT: To add to your thoughts on Hunter Shinkaruk, I personally feel that if not for his late birthday, he'd be contending for a top-5 pick in this year's draft. The kid can flat out play.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Alessio Bertaggia scored 3 goals in his debut tonight. Another great Swiss player in the dub

I've been wanting to see him since last year during his Portland debacle. Glad he's here and glad he's playing well. Was definitely fun to watch tonight.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Apparently Eric Arnold of the Moose Jaw Warriors did well too in the preseason games.

Saw him twice.

Was ok, nothing special. The Warriors don't have a ton of depth so he should play in a scoring role and should put up ok numbers. Still don't think he's much of a player though, very small.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
from the edmonton oil kings dylan wruck and micheal st.croix could have big offensive years. kristians pelss could surprise alot of ppl as well, good speed and skill and has a tenacity around the net

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Brendan Gallagher has completely impressed in Habs camp + games. He played on a line with pacioretty and gomez tonight vs Sens.
he's even a long shot to get 9 games in with some of the injuries up front. this kid is great for his size. he will easily put up 45+ goals in the W this year

Oilmageddon*

If RNH is not sent back St.Croix barring injury will win scoring title book it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad