Top WHL Dman for 2010-2011 season

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
Nominees were announced and Tyson Barrie is nominated for the West and Stefan Elliott for the East. When was the last time 2 prospects from the same team were nominated? Also Barrie won WHL dman of the year last year which means for 2 years running an Avs prospect will be top WHL dman.

Who do u think is gonna win? My guess is Elliott.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
And to be honest, Elliott's biggest competition has already been beaten out.

That would be Brayden McNabb of the Kootenay Ice. 6'4, shuts guys down, but also had 72 points this year. Stef earned the Eastern nod over him, so this vote won't even be close.

There's a very real chance that Barrie was actually the 3rd or 4th best defenseman in the WHL this year, not automatically 2nd.

arsmaster*

And to be honest, Elliott's biggest competition has already been beaten out.

That would be Brayden McNabb of the Kootenay Ice. 6'4, shuts guys down, but also had 72 points this year. Stef earned the Eastern nod over him, so this vote won't even be close.

There's a very real chance that Barrie was actually the 3rd or 4th best defenseman in the WHL this year, not automatically 2nd.

He wasnt #1 last year either.

RickNar

Oct 13, 2010
thats easy to say when you are paid to wear blue pom poms.

I watch alot of dub games, former season ticket holder. Ive seen elliot play alot.

I think he is below average defensively. Soft, not great with the stick, doesnt block shots from what ive seen. Giveaway king too. Doesnt help that hes a yapper and from what ive seen has been the type to lose focus on the play to complain about a call(just a couple isolated incidents, and perhaps not entirely indicative)

Either way, Cowen is much better offensively than Elliot is defensively. Also much grittier, his skating improved drastically from last year and of course one of the best in the dub when 1 on 1. Its clear why he was world junior material.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

I watch alot of dub games, former season ticket holder. Ive seen elliot play alot.

I think he is below average defensively. Soft, not great with the stick, doesnt block shots from what ive seen. Giveaway king too. Doesnt help that hes a yapper and from what ive seen has been the type to lose focus on the play to complain about a call(just a couple isolated incidents, and perhaps not entirely indicative)

Either way, Cowen is much better offensively than Elliot is defensively. Also much grittier, his skating improved drastically from last year and of course one of the best in the dub when 1 on 1. Its clear why he was world junior material.

I'm a big Cowen fan too. I think he'll be a very solid NHL defenseman one day, but the stuff you have to say about Elliott is absolutely hilarious.

He is absolutely not below average defensively. He isn't a typical in your face, physical defender, but his positioning is top end and he has a very quick stick to poke pucks.

Sure he has turnover problems now and again, but that's mostly due to him over handling the puck trying to make the perfect play.

He can get away with it though because he is an elite skater and can make up for his few turnovers.

Where are you based? And how many games have you seen to be able to see you have seen him "alot"?

The guy is going to be the clear winner as top defenseman for a reason....

And for the record, the Blades don't pay me ****.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
:help: cowen isnt the best elliots offense is better then cowens D and elliots D is better then cowens O

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!

I think he is below average defensively. Soft, not great with the stick, doesnt block shots from what ive seen. Giveaway king too. Doesnt help that hes a yapper and from what ive seen has been the type to lose focus on the play to complain about a call(just a couple isolated incidents, and perhaps not entirely indicative)Either way, Cowen is much better offensively than Elliot is defensively. Also much grittier, his skating improved drastically from last year and of course one of the best in the dub when 1 on 1. Its clear why he was world junior material.

Not saying your wrong, it is funny that he is nominated for the most sportsman like player of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad