Speculation: 2020 European Free Agents

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Alexander Khokhlachev? Signed with Spartak through 2020/21, Boston owns his rights in perpetuity until he signs in the NHL.
Until he turns 27, which would be next year, after his KHL contract is up.
So next year he can sign as a UFA, but point still stands for this year.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Until he turns 27, which would be next year, after his KHL contract is up.
So next year he can sign as a UFA, but point still stands for this year.

Incorrect, the KHL has no transfer-agreement with the NHL and a player's rights belong to the team that drafted him in perpetuity if he was drafted out of a system with no transfer-agreemenyt and never signs an NHL contract. He will, however, not be bound be ELC stipulations after age 27 but he can only sign with Boston.

Reserve List FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Incorrect, the KHL has no transfer-agreement with the NHL and a player's rights belong to the team that drafted him in perpetuity if he was drafted out of a system with no transfer-agreemenyt and never signs an NHL contract. He will, however, not be bound be ELC stipulations after age 27 but he can only sign with Boston.

Reserve List FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
That is for drafted players.
Khokhalchev is post-draft; he has signed and played through a SPC, which left him as a RFA (as opposed to a "Draft-related free agent")
Because KHL has no transfer agreement is why he was able to sign there (a league like SHL or Liiga would require a loan agreement).

At his 27th birthday, he'd trigger Group 3 Free Agency - a player 27 or older who's most recent contract has been fulfilled.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
You are correct sir, a thousand apologies. I'm not sure if I had him confused with another player but I had thought he never went through the Bruins system at this point.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006

Bob Stauffer
@Bob_Stauffer

·
56m
Anton Slepyshev has 16-19-35/48 GP/+22 this season for KHL leading CSKA .
Oilers qualified him summer 2018 to retain rights.
His KHL contract is up at the end of this season.
No question IMO he could play in the NHL as a bottom six forward.
Still just 25, 6'2", 220, can skate

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Mikko Lehtonen, a D-man from Jokerit (KHL).

Mikko Lehtonen at eliteprospects.com

He is under contract for next season as well with Jokerit but the way how Finnish media are hyping this guy almost every day to be the best player who isn't in the NHL makes me think some NHL team might want to buy him out of that Jokerit contract after this season.

I believe that he is still leading the D-men in points in the KHL with 43 points and 54 GP, +/- +21 and I believe that he was chosen 3 months back to back as the best D-man in the KHL for each of those months, which is quite an accomplishment.

It was rumored last year around the World Championships that the Devils were among teams taking a look at Lehtonen. If he were allowed to sign for 2020-21, he'd have to sign a 1 year ELC and then he'd be UFA July 2021.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
As a player, I really like Eemeli Suomi (Ilves/Liiga). He turns 25 in December and has 47 points in 46 games this season. I’m fairly certain his contract with Ilves end this spring. Any chance he could garner some NHL interest?

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It was rumored last year around the World Championships that the Devils were among teams taking a look at Lehtonen. If he were allowed to sign for 2020-21, he'd have to sign a 1 year ELC and then he'd be UFA July 2021.

Devils could really use this guy.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
There's a rumor that the Habs brass are flying to Russia to see the goalie Vasily Demchenko. The Habs need a backup to Price next year and Primeau clearly needs another year in the AHL at the very least and Lindgren isn't the answer.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
i wonder if mikael wikstrand will give it another try. He was good enough 4 years ago, just didn't wanna stay.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
i wonder if mikael wikstrand will give it another try. He was good enough 4 years ago, just didn't wanna stay.

Wikstrand signed a KHL deal through 2021, so I assumed he'd finish out that deal. Wasn't sure if Ottawa would retain his rights by then (Wikstrand would have turned 27).

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Wikstrand signed a KHL deal through 2021, so I assumed he'd finish out that deal. Wasn't sure if Ottawa would retain his rights by then (Wikstrand would have turned 27).
Ottawa's rights will expire that same season as his KHL deal

He's one that I feel could make a comeback though in the NHL

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
According to this thread there will be 5 new Russians with the Leafs next season :laugh:
After the solid (not always great) recent history, why wouldn't they?
Leafs can afford to pay guys well in the AHL, they are in the same city, and they have shown they will play guys

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
After the solid (not always great) recent history, why wouldn't they?
Leafs can afford to pay guys well in the AHL, they are in the same city, and they have shown they will play guys

I think we can all guarantee you won’t sign 5 Russians this off-season. It’s just the Media looking for hits.

Reactions: uncleben

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
From Friedman's 31 Thoughts:
20. NHL teams got a note last week that Alexey Marchenko is interested in returning to North America. The right-shot blueliner played 121 games for Detroit and Toronto before going to KHL CSKA Moscow the past three seasons. He’s looking for something around the $1.5-million range.

On the cheap, he's decent depth, imo.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Bump, anyone hearing anything new? Gonna be interesting if a guy like Grigorenko comes back, where Jaskin ends up. Could be an interesting few months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad