Top "tough guys" with talent-CHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
As far as juniors are concerned, would these be the top prospects that can fight and actually play?

Guillaume Desbiens(Atlanta)-QMJHL
Mike Egener(Tampa Bay)-WHL
Brandon Dubinsky(NY Rangers)-WHL
Daniel Carcillo(Pittsburg)-OHL
Zach Stortini(Edmonton)-WHL

are there any others out there that have a legimate shot at the NHL because of their ability to intimidate and score a few?

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
i wouldn't call brandon dubinsky a "tough guy", as he plays an all around game very very well...

same with egener imo... these guys aren't scott parker in kelowna

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
He's got potential in his offensive game and can certainly chuck em with JF Jacques. I highly highly doubt ever seeing him in a top 6 role, but still be able to put up decent numbers for a 4th liner in the NHL.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
OneSpeedOnly said:
There is nothing "tough" at all about Carcillo.

Why do you say that? Can you describe his game for me? I've never seen him play before, but everything I read says he plays a tough game.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Pens4ever said:
Why do you say that? Can you describe his game for me? I've never seen him play before, but everything I read says he plays a tough game.

Well, I should retract the above statement before I get jumped on like when I knocked Pisellini. This guy has ben known to fight, but has never taken on anyone formidable and is always talking and cheapshotting too. He loooves hiding behind his teammates after delivering a nice face shot, that kind of player. One of the most hated guys in the league by far. But I suppose some would call him "tough".

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
That seems pretty close to what I hear...a real pest to play against. The kind of guy who, if he makes the NHL, fans and players of 29 NHL teams will absolutely hate.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Hossa said:
I'll throw out Nick Fugere, but he sometimes has trouble doing both at the same time.

that's kind of what i get from that guy, as well...though Preds management seems to like him A LOT. another guy they like...and probably the guy they're most excited about behind Radulov from the 04 draft that came to mind when I saw this thread...Vaclav Meidl of the Plymouth Whalers. He's huge...likes to fight...but is a pretty decent hockey player on top of that.

timmins16

Sep 27, 2004
Ontario
Ben Eager he's actually in the AHL this season, but played for Oshawa (OHL) last year. He can score, he saved the game some times, and he can really fight. I think it was the IceDogs that hated him the most. But I bet other OHL teams hated him.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Well tough as en enforcer, or tough as in pest?

If pests count, Colin Fraser is 2nd to none. He pissed me off in the stands at prospects camp- and fought teammates almost every single day. He puts up good numbers in the WHL- although its doubtful if he'll ever be a point producer in the NHL.

I see him as a Todd Harvey type, but as a legit center prospect/faceoff guy could develop into a real nice checking line center(top end) and be more useful than an unmotivated Todd Harvey (i always thought that a motivated todd harvey was a nice player).

I don't know how "bad" he is, but he sure will take a beating for his team and will drop them with anyone (from the limited action i've seen).

Are their any up and comers? The hawks are in dire need of a home grown heavy..

-fullmetalninja

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Well Jimmy Bonneau is one of the top enforcers in the CHL imo, and he has been improving his skill a lot over the last 2 years. But he has a long ways to go. Still he's on the top line in PEI and was 2nd in team scoring before last nights game. One things for sure, the kid can scrap, but his skating still needs considerable work.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Pens4ever said:
That seems pretty close to what I hear...a real pest to play against. The kind of guy who, if he makes the NHL, fans and players of 29 NHL teams will absolutely hate.

Not to mention his own coaching staff, some teammates and perhaps upper management... atleast that's how it's been for Carcillo in Sarnia. He's not your loveable pest, this kid is a problem off the ice as well. He's not really a 'tough guy' anyways though....

Edit: And BJ Crombeen (Barrie, OHL) is a good tough guy, that can play aswell.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
How's Mini Boogaard doing? Had a good camp I saw...and was in the starting lineup for the Americans...

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
montreal said:
Well Jimmy Bonneau is one of the top enforcers in the CHL imo, and he has been improving his skill a lot over the last 2 years. But he has a long ways to go. Still he's on the top line in PEI and was 2nd in team scoring before last nights game. One things for sure, the kid can scrap, but his skating still needs considerable work.

Bonneau surprised me with his speed in a game against Moncton last week. He picked up the puck at his own blueline between the 2 defencemen and beat them both to the other end. One of them dove at him and tripped him up, but he still manged to deke out Corey Crawford from his knees and put it in the top corner. Unfortunately, it was meaningless goal; it was 7-1 for Moncton at the time.
It wouldn't surprise me if he potted 15-20 goals this year.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Brandon Prust comes to mind from the Flames. Saw him in camp and he took on a guy about 6 inches taller than him. He won the fight because they guy was off balance but then suprisingly had a rematch with the much, much bigger goon.

"He wanted a rematch and I had to give it to him," Prust said matter of factly. "Guys want to redeem themselves and we don't have a second game to do it. It's nothing personal, just something we've got to show the coaches because it's part of the game."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Calgary/2004/09/13/627530.html

Prust looks like a high energy, buzzsaw out there who actually has some decent hands as well. Flames scouts compared him in style to a Scotty Walker. From what I've seen he'll fight with anyone, work his butt off every shift but still has the talent to pot some points. He had 19 goals, 52 points and 269 penalty minutes last season.

He's an overager this year with the Mem Cup hosting London Knights so as long as they don't deal him most will get a chance to see his game come next spring.

Whoops didn't notice that a couple people already mentioned him.

As well I'm pretty sure Egener turned pro this year. He's definitely not back with the Hitmen.

Last edited:

Prucha73

I think Dubinsky mostly fights guys who are near his size which isn't big.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
VernonForrest said:
haha, would love to hear the story if you wouldnt mind

Well I was excited to see him play... real excited. Who doesn't love a little rat F'r on your team right?

But my god, he was irritating every single person on the other team- in a shinny game!

I didn't see him until the 2nd day of scrimmages, he already had a nice shiner. He literally, literally was being chased around on the ice by 2-3 guys it seemed every step of the way.

He is the next generation of Barnaby, J Ruutu, Steve Avery's in the NHL. He is that annoying to play against.

Seemed like a nice kid outside the game. He gave Seabrook a vicious two hander, tried to get him to go, and afterwards was just yuckin it up with him....

-fullmetalninja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->