Top ten players for each franchise?

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Best career.

I'll start with Montreal (off the top of my head):

Beliveau
M. Richard
Lafleur (I agree with leblonddemon and moved him up)
Morenz
Harvey
Plante
Dryden
Roy
Robinson
Vezina

Had to leave off Newsy Lalonde as he only played 5 years in Montreal - he was possibly best player in the world for four of them tho lol. Couldn't find a way to fit Henri Richard either... maybe that's wrong. Same for Joliat. Durnan? To me Price is the most talented ever, but career-wise - no. Otherwise, nobody other than Roy since the early 80s is even close.

Last edited:

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
Best career.

I'll start with Montreal (off the top of my head):

Beliveau
M. Richard
Harvey
Roy
Morenz
Lafleur
Plante
Dryden
Robinson
Vezina

Had to leave off Newsy Lalonde as he only played 5 years in Montreal - he was possibly best player in the world for four of them tho lol. Couldn't find a way to fit Henri Richard either... maybe that's wrong. Same for Joliat. Durnan? To me Price is the most talented ever, but career-wise - no. Otherwise, nobody other than Roy since the early 80s is even close.
I would not rank Roy ahead of Lafleur. His Montreal resume is very good but not great. Sure he has the two CS but Lafleur could have won the CS 2 or 3 times and he was the best player in the NHL for 5 years.

Reactions: tinyzombies

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Outside of the obvious top 3, I’m not comfortable ranking the greats between Detroit’s two winning eras. So I’ll just give it tiers and list them alphabetically.

Howe
Lidstrom
Yzerman

Delvecchio
Lindsay
Kelly
Sawchuk

Datsyuk
Fedorov
Zetterberg

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
1 Jarmo Myllys
2 Stefan Nilsson
3 Mikael Renberg
4 Tomas Holmström
5 Veli-Matti Ruisma
6 Jiri Kucera
7 Joel Lassinantti
8 Timo Jutila
9 Erik Gustafsson
10 Mattias Öhlund

Reactions: Peter Tosh

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Flyers:
1. Bobby Clarke
2. Bernie Parent
3. Eric Lindros
4. Mark Howe
5. John LeClair
6. Bill Barber
7. Brian Propp
8. Claude Giroux
9. Eric Desjardins
10. Rick MacLeish

LeClair
643 points in 649 games

Recchi
627 points in 607 games

Seems odd that you have LeClair at #4, but Recchi - who holds the Flyers record for most points in a season with 123 - can't make the cut

Reactions: Claude The Fraud

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
Hawks

mikita
Hull
Kane
Toews
Keith
Pilote
Hall
Savard
Larmer/chelios/Wilson/Bentley/Mosienko/Toenick

number 10 is the only question. If chelios hadn’t gone to Detroit and played another 3 or 4 years in in Chicago he would probably rate above Keith

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
LeClair
643 points in 649 games

Recchi
627 points in 607 games

Seems odd that you have LeClair at #4, but Recchi - who holds the Flyers record for most points in a season with 123 - can't make the cut

I don't like Recchi. He was a main force in which Bill Barber got fired after Barber's wife got Cancer earlier in the season.

Barber’s dismissal comes one day after the coach’s players viciously lashed out at him while cleaning out their lockers for the final time this season. Several players – most notably captain Keith Primeau, Mark Recchi, Rick Tocchet, Chris Therien and goaltender Brian Boucher – blasted Barber’s handling of the team, his coaching decisions and his perceived refusal to communicate with veteran players

According the Primeau, a rift between Barber and players began to develop during the early part of the season. The captain said that the players were weary of talking to upper management about the problems because they didn’t want to disrupt the harmony that has existed between the two sides since the Eric Lindros debacle ended. The situation became even touchier after Barber’s wife, Jenny, died of cancer on December 8.

Reactions: buffalowing88

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Clancy
Apps
Broda
Horton
Mahovlich
Bower
Keon
Sittler
Salming
Sundin

Teeder Kennedy isn't on the top ten list?!? How is Kennedy not ahead of Darryl Sittler? How is he not ahead of Mats Sundin? These guys never won a damn thing.

He played his entire career in Toronto, served as the team captain for eight years and was the first player in NHL history to win five Stanley Cups and he's the last Maple Leaf to win the Hart Trophy as the league's most valuable player.

The Maple Leafs are pretty short on truly legendary players, but there's no question Teeder Kennedy is one of them. Him being behind guys like Sittler and Sundin is absurd, in my opinion.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
Teeder Kennedy isn't on the top ten list?!? How is Kennedy not ahead of Darryl Sittler? How is he not ahead of Mats Sundin? These guys never won a damn thing.

He played his entire career in Toronto, served as the team captain for eight years and was the first player in NHL history to win five Stanley Cups and he's the last Maple Leaf to win the Hart Trophy as the league's most valuable player.

The Maple Leafs are pretty short on truly legendary players, but there's no question Teeder Kennedy is one of them. Him being behind guys like Sittler and Sundin is absurd, in my opinion.
Kennedy's career numbers aren't as high as you'd think. Sittler and Sundin both have more than twice as many goals and points.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Kennedy's career numbers aren't as high as you'd think. Sittler and Sundin both have more than twice as many goals and points.

Who cares? Isn't winning the Stanley Cup the ultimate goal of any franchise?

Teeder won five of them. (He also retired at age 30, so citing career stats for other players, who didn't accomplish a fraction of what Kennedy did, seems like an odd way to slight him.)

He was an exceptional two-way player and was widely regarded as one of the best forecheckers in the league during his career.

He has scored more points in the Stanley Cup Finals than any other Maple Leaf in franchise history and to this day in the youngest player to ever score a Cup winning goal.

That you would skip a five-time champion and the guy that holds the franchise record for most points in the Finals in order to include a player like Mats Sundin who's accomplishments did absolutely nothing for the franchise seems a little odd to me.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Lemieux
Crosby
Malkin
Jagr
Francis
Letang
Kehoe
Fleury
Stevens
Barrasso

Really want Coffey on there to better represent defensemen, but don't think his Pens career makes the cut.

Reactions: sanscosm

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
My sleep-deprived, whiskey-fueled attempt for the Rangers, so sorry if I'm missing someone obvious:
  1. Earl Seibert
  2. Frank Boucher
  3. Bill Cook
  4. Bryan Hextall
  5. Andy Bathgate
  6. Rod Gilbert
  7. Brad Park
  8. Brian Leetch
  9. Mark Messier
  10. Henrik Lundqvist

HM: Ratelle, Giacomin, Bun Cook, Ching Johnson, Gump Worsley

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I don't like Recchi. He was a main force in which Bill Barber got fired after Barber's wife got Cancer earlier in the season.

Barber’s dismissal comes one day after the coach’s players viciously lashed out at him while cleaning out their lockers for the final time this season. Several players – most notably captain Keith Primeau, Mark Recchi, Rick Tocchet, Chris Therien and goaltender Brian Boucher – blasted Barber’s handling of the team, his coaching decisions and his perceived refusal to communicate with veteran players

According the Primeau, a rift between Barber and players began to develop during the early part of the season. The captain said that the players were weary of talking to upper management about the problems because they didn’t want to disrupt the harmony that has existed between the two sides since the Eric Lindros debacle ended. The situation became even touchier after Barber’s wife, Jenny, died of cancer on December 8.

If you don't like Gretzky, does that make it okay to leave him off Edmonton's top 10?

Reactions: Guttersniped

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
My sleep-deprived, whiskey-fueled attempt for the Rangers, so sorry if I'm missing someone obvious:
  1. Earl Seibert
  2. Frank Boucher
  3. Bill Cook
  4. Bryan Hextall
  5. Andy Bathgate
  6. Rod Gilbert
  7. Brad Park
  8. Brian Leetch
  9. Mark Messier
  10. Henrik Lundqvist

HM: Ratelle, Giacomin, Bun Cook, Ching Johnson, Gump Worsley

2 points, -4, in 21 career games with New York...

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
LeClair
643 points in 649 games

Recchi
627 points in 607 games

Does it seem odd? Or does it just seem like something you disagree with? LeClair had a lot of memorable moments, particularly in the playoffs, with the Flyers. Recchi just doesn't have that resume. He has points, but, as stated above, he wasn't always a positive presence on that team.

Reactions: ted2019

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad