Top Ten Offensemen (Offensive D-men)

Status
Not open for further replies.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Different list...here goes...

1. Barker-This guy is just dripping with skills! If he adds defense to them he could be a franchise dman.

2. Ryan Suter-Lots of skill here.

3. Whitney-Producer at lower levels

4. Meszaros-Slick puckhandler.

5. Ballard-Didn't he used to pitch for the Orioles? lol older guy

6. Shaone Morrisonn-Maturing nicely-really polished offensive skills

7. Anton Babchuck-Booming shot.

8. Ladislav Smid-Skating and puck skills

9. AJ Thelen-Upside is really high!

10. Kronwall-Solid performer

Honorable mention:
Lepisto
Burns

Last edited:

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
borro said:
Different list...here goes...

1. Barker-This guy is just dripping with skills! If he adds defense to them he could be a franchise dman.

2. Ryan Suter-Lots of skill here.

3. Meszaros-Slick puckhandler.

4. Jeff Ballard-Didn't he used to pitch for the Orioles? lol older guy

5. Shaone Morrisonn-Maturing nicely-really polished offensive skills

6. Anton Babchuck-Booming shot.

7. Ladislav Smid-Skating and puck skills

8. AJ Thelen-Upside is really high!

9. Kronwall-Solid performer

10. Lepisto-Passing skills

if you're talking offensive dmen, theres no way that ryan whitney isnt in the top 5, let alone top 10

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
fedorov_jr said:
if you're talking offensive dmen, theres no way that ryan whitney isnt in the top 5, let alone top 10

Hmmm...I didn't know his offensive skills were developed. I thought he was more of a big crease clearing guy. Anyone have some stats on him?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Brent Burns is developing nicely into an offensive-defenseman with some nice defensive skills to boot. He'll probably have more assists than goals, but he at least can unleash a nice slapper once in a while and knows how to move a puck from end to end. Plus the time he spent on the forward position will give him much needed knowledge of both how the offense works and how to play the puck.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
Carlo Colaiacovo belongs in the top 5, easily.

What are his numbers? I'm sure the last couple may be reaches. Some of the guys who are really good I may not have seen. Hopefully you guys will share some opinions and stats.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Brent Burns is developing nicely into an offensive-defenseman with some nice defensive skills to boot. He'll probably have more assists than goals, but he at least can unleash a nice slapper once in a while and knows how to move a puck from end to end. Plus the time he spent on the forward position will give him much needed knowledge of both how the offense works and how to play the puck.
Was Burns changed back to defense or what? I thought they were keeping him at forward.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Nope, they have him slated now on D. He seems to have loosened up back there and is getting back into the flow of the game well. Hell, I think he did okay tonight against San Antonio, registering an assist and the Aeros smothered the Rampage 4-1 (heheh on that note Boogaard had 2 goals!)

leafaholix*

borro said:
What are his numbers? I'm sure the last couple may be reaches. Some of the guys who are really good I may not have seen. Hopefully you guys will share some opinions and stats.
He had 31 points in 62 AHL games as a rookie on a very bad team.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
borro said:
Hmmm...I didn't know his offensive skills were developed. I thought he was more of a big crease clearing guy. Anyone have some stats on him?
people were initially talking chris pronger, but i guess that goes to every big mobile dman with offensive skills... now, he's got a better chance of being in the mold of rob blake.... good on offense, and throws some solid checks... however, he doesnt have the defensive game that blake has...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=63061

if u check out his stats in college, then his first pro action with the baby pens, u can see the guy has offensive skill dripping off of him... a .5 per game average in your first 20 games isnt too shabby

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
fedorov_jr said:
people were initially talking chris pronger, but i guess that goes to every big mobile dman with offensive skills... now, he's got a better chance of being in the mold of rob blake.... good on offense, and throws some solid checks... however, he doesnt have the defensive game that blake has...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=63061

if u check out his stats in college, then his first pro action with the baby pens, u can see the guy has offensive skill dripping off of him... a .5 per game average in your first 20 games isnt too shabby

Dang we got to add him...
Interesting...
Editing...

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Here are my projections. There are some things I do see a problem with in these rankings typically. For example, people exclude Phaneuf just because he plays a mean gritty defensive game, but he also has one of the best offensive games too. Another thing I don't like is when people start including players like Nik Kronvall who are already 23.5+ years old when other 18 year old prospects will likely be much better when both reach their primes.

1. Cam Barker
2. Ryan Whitney
3. AJ Thelen
4. Dion Phaneuf
5. Fedo Tjutin
6. Shaone Morrisonn
7. Kiril Koltsov
8. KRyan Suter
9. Shaone Morrisonn
10. Andrej Meszeros

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Jovanovski = Norris said:
Here are my projections. There are some things I do see a problem with in these rankings typically. For example, people exclude Phaneuf just because he plays a mean gritty defensive game, but he also has one of the best offensive games too. Another thing I don't like is when people start including players like Nik Kronvall who are already 23.5+ years old when other 18 year old prospects will likely be much better when both reach their primes.

1. Cam Barker
2. Ryan Whitney
3. AJ Thelen
4. Dion Phaneuf
5. Fedo Tjutin
6. Shaone Morrisonn
7. Kiril Koltsov
8. KRyan Suter
9. Shaone Morrisonn
10. Andrej Meszeros

Is Shaone Morrisonn really good enough to be on this list twice?

Kubera55

Mar 15, 2004
I'm a little unsure of the criteria here... are we talking about 'best overall scoring defenseman', or just best scoring defenseman period?

I mean, Scott Neidermeyer is a better defenseman than Sergie Gonchar. No one (I think) would dispute that. But Sergie Gonchar is a better scoring defenseman.

If the criteria is 'two-way guy who can put up numbers' then I agree with putting in Tjutin. But I do not believe he'll ever be an elite scoring defenseman... I think he'll really be more of a two-way guy who'll consistently put up 30-40 points. So depending on criteria, I might not include him.

One other thing, if 'pure scoring' is the criteria, then I really think Thomas Pock should get some attention. He may never develop as a guy in his own end... but he was dazzling in his brief NHL debut last season. I'm half-expecting 'Zidlicky-like' production from him, provided his defensive play doesn't keep him off the ice.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I think Trevor Daley should be top 10 relatively easily. Especially when you see some of the other guys mentioned..

Vic Rattlehead*

If you are talking about potential, Lars Jonsson will be damn good offensively.

Geese_Howard*

Reilly311 said:
He's the most overrated prospect perhaps of all time.

your probabley the biggest leaf hater and canadian hater of all time.....

everyone is entitled to their own opinions, so I dont want to start this into a flame war

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Personally, as a Preds fan, I'd include Kevin Klein before Ryan Suter...simply because I think Klein will be used more for his offensive game and Suter is going to be a 30 point two-way kind of guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->