Top ten goalies of all time?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Could you summarize them, perchance, for those of us who joined the party late?

Generally I prefer cups, vezinas, and conn smythe trophies as a measure of a great goalie. Pre-1982, first all star team matters most instead of vezina. A Hart trophy is even better than a Vezina, or even just being runner-up for the Hart. save percentage isn't perfect, but is a better stat than GAA, so leading the league in sv% is a great accomplishment for any goalie who didn't win the vezina that season. Playoff wins is a great way to compare two goalies who both never won the cup. Regular season wins and shutouts matter, but not much to me. The era a goalie played in has way too much to do with those two things.

My adversary, if I am not mistaken, placed a lot of value on an olympic gold medal and a world cup, as well as a calder trophy and 40 win seasons. The value they placed on the "other" things I mentioned is not clear, but I imagine not very high or there wouldn't really be a debate.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
that 04 WC is his best by the numbers but that team was freakin loaded!!! in comps where he has had to carry Canada he hasnt done it. that said, it doesnt matter because he did carry the devils. hell, last year alone he was HUGE in digging them out of a hole and putting them atop the division. he wasnt posting 20-save shutouts, he was posting 40-save shutouts. plus, as i said, he has been the most durable of his era and has numbers on par with the halls, roys, sawchuks etc at a relatively young age.
He was the best player Canada had in the past Olympics...he was the only reason Canada was in the game against Russia.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
With all due respect to Brodeur. But in the last two tournaments he played awful. OK. so has the entire team but I expected a little bit more of a guy who constantly gets mentioned as one of the best goalies ever.
What tourney were you watching at the last olympics...once again he was the only player who showed up for Canada. In the Worlds the only hockey he played all year was a charity team going around the world. Nobody played close to their best.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Wow, now I read the Roy vs Brodeur debate. Noway would I ever pick Brodeur over Roy, I don't think its close cause I also think Roy was the best goaltender of all time by a fair margin.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Wow, now I read the Roy vs Brodeur debate. Noway would I ever pick Brodeur over Roy, I don't think its close cause I also think Roy was the best goaltender of all time by a fair margin.

Hey, nice to know we're not just rambling at eachother! Thanks for reading, and agreeing with me doesn't hurt either! :)

I do agree that Brodeur was the only player on Canada that showed up - that may be too much of a generalization, if I were to watch again*, I am sure I could pick out 5-6 guys who were at least decent... but yeah, he was good.

*But I won't ever watch those games again.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Barrasso, Tom
Belfour, Ed
Benedict, Clint
Bower, Johnny
Brimsek, Frank
Broda, Walter 'Turk'