Top ten from the 2003 draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitaraholic*

I'm having a hard time finding stats for Kostsitsyn over a full season. At least with his Belarus counterpart and former linemate, Zakharov, has played at least a full season in the Q, a N.American league and did so rather impressively by all accounts. You have a measuring stick to compare him to his counterparts. Where did Kostsitsyn play last year? I'm asking out of curiousity, not taking any sides one way or ther other. Personally I wish the Habs well, I have a soft spot for them even though I'm a Blues fan, so I wish Kostsitsyn well, but I just can't seem to dig up stats on him other than short tourny stats.

By the way, where's the love for Zakharov, anyway? He was solid in his rookie year in the Q, was he not? He showed some skills from what I've heard. He's turned pro and will skate with Worcester in the AHL next year along with Shkotov. Zak has put up stats comparable to Kostsitsyn's in international play....

Last edited by a moderator:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
You would think that after Petrov, Hab fans would be cautious to hype a player like Special K.

guitaraholic*

Moskau said:
You would think that after Petrov, Hab fans would be cautious to hype a player like Special K.

Special K? Does he wear his helmet off the ice, too? Does he take the short bus to and from games?

CH Wizard

guitaraholic said:
I'm having a hard time finding stats for Kostsitsyn over a full season. At least with his Belarus counterpart and former linemate, Zakharov, has played at least a full season in the Q, a N.American league and did so rather impressively by all accounts. You have a measuring stick to compare him to his counterparts. Where did Kostsitsyn play last year? I'm asking out of curiousity, not taking any sides one way or ther other. Personally I wish the Habs well, I have a soft spot for them even though I'm a Blues fan, so I wish Kostsitsyn well, but I just can't seem to dig up stats on him other than short tourny stats.

By the way, where's the love for Zakharov, anyway? He was solid in his rookie year in the Q, was he not? He showed some skills from what I've heard. He's turned pro and will skate with Worcester in the AHL next year along with Shkotov. Zak has put up stats comparable to Kostsitsyn's in international play....

He played with Cska-2 that's not a tournament.He put up 38 points in 27 games that's impressive.He didn't played well in Cska because He was in the fourth line and was considered as a foreign player that means a stranger.He didn't had the confidence of the coach so GIVE HIM A BREAK !! Cska2 isn't a weak league it's a league with good competition.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
1. Horton
2. Phaneuf
3. Staal
4. Zherdev
5. Fleury
6. Suter
7. Michalek
8. Coburn
9. Vanek
10. Kostitsyn

I don't see why nearly every single list has either Zherdev or Fleury at #1..

Habitantpeasoup

Jul 5, 2004
Za Great White North
nomorekids said:
as many as most people here.

So I guess that means none, right! Really I'd like too know how many times you've seen him play, were you overseas, in Russia I doubt it so it just bothers me how you can form such a negative opinion about him "saying he's overated" when you probably never seen him play at all.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Here are Kostitsyn's stats... Link (Go to the players section and type "Kastitsyn")

His stats with CSKA-2 are obviously not listed but if 38 points in 27 games at 18 years of age is correct, then he might not be as impressive as he's made out to be. Alexander Perezhogin for example got 71 points in 41 games in the same league as a 17 year old.

It's true that stats aren't everything but they are enough to make me quite skeptical of all the hype he has received.

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
nomorekids said:
as many as most people here.

*huuug* there, there, habsfan. I still think he's good! don't worry!

Kostitsyn > everyone else.

there, better? While I'm at it, Yann Danis > Lehtonen and Komisarek > rising crust pizza. All is well with the world!

Do you enjoy making yourself look like an ass?

Montreal is a very knowledgeable and fair poster....he questions your opinion on a player you've never seen and you post this crap?

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Why does it always take a Hab-basher or two to ruin what was a pretty lighthearted and whimsical thread? Cripes, I was actually enjoying it until the bashing started.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion....god forbid if Hab fans favour their own...thats a novel idea....never been done before...and completely immoral and evil of them pesky Hab fans....how could they.....no one else in this thread dared to favour their prospects on their lists...except those damn Hab fans. :shakehead

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Patty Roy said:
Do you enjoy making yourself look like an ass?

Montreal is a very knowledgeable and fair poster....he questions your opinion on a player you've never seen and you post this crap?

i made the statement that a player was overrated...and i stand by it. he's the one that got huffy over it. by his logic, none of us should be making these lists because we "haven't seen that player." i thought his argument was garbage, knowledgeable poster or not.

but i'm sure he's grateful that you rode in your white horse to save him.

what a gentleman you are!

guitaraholic*

nomorekids said:
i made the statement that a player was overrated...and i stand by it. he's the one that got huffy over it. by his logic, none of us should be making these lists because we "haven't seen that player." i thought his argument was garbage, knowledgeable poster or not.

but i'm sure he's grateful that you rode in your white horse to save him.

what a gentleman you are!

Actually I'm a big fan of people not offering their opinion on players unless they've seen them play. What makes a person's opinion valid if he's never seen the guy play?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
guitaraholic said:
Actually I'm a big fan of people not offering their opinion on players unless they've seen them play. What makes a person's opinion valid if he's never seen the guy play?

and i can respect\understand that. you didn't see me offering a critique of kostitsyn's game. all i've got to go on is stats..and that's not enough. However...the amount of hype(which you really can't deny) that comes SOLELY from Habs fans, most of whom have seen him just as little as I have...is enough to justify calling him "overrated," in my book. You can argue that "maybe he deserves the hype," but he's getting almost Crosby-hyped, and that's a little annoying.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
My only problem with actually seeing Kostitsyn rise is that he's done nothing to improve significantly over the last year. There are several prospects that are not on some posters top ten that actually played in the NHL last year, and or made forward progress.

In fact, I think it could be argued that he may have even regressed with the return of his epileptic condition. Yeah, sure it can be controlled by medication, but obviously, that's not always going to work 100%

I'm not trying to say that guys like Bergeron, Burns or Brown should be number one on peoples list, but the fact that those guys were able to play in the most competitive league in the world says a lot more to me than a guy who put up a point a game in a Russian junior league. That's all I'm saying.

NewHabsEra*

nomorekids said:
and i can respect\understand that. you didn't see me offering a critique of kostitsyn's game. all i've got to go on is stats..and that's not enough. However...the amount of hype(which you really can't deny) that comes SOLELY from Habs fans, most of whom have seen him just as little as I have...is enough to justify calling him "overrated," in my book. You can argue that "maybe he deserves the hype," but he's getting almost Crosby-hyped, and that's a little annoying.

We all know how much Habs' prospects effraid you... Take it easy, nothing you can do, they are even better than you could imagine in your worst nightmares ;)

NewHabsEra*

Legionnaire said:
My only problem with actually seeing Kostitsyn rise is that he's done nothing to improve significantly over the last year. There are several prospects that are not on some posters top ten that actually played in the NHL last year, and or made forward progress.

In fact, I think it could be argued that he may have even regressed with the return of his epileptic condition. Yeah, sure it can be controlled by medication, but obviously, that's not always going to work 100%

I'm not trying to say that guys like Bergeron, Burns or Brown should be number one on peoples list, but the fact that those guys were able to play in the most competitive league in the world says a lot more to me than a guy who put up a point a game in a Russian junior league. That's all I'm saying.

I like Bergeron very much, he is a very mature kid, a compititor who plays a smart 2-way game having nice skillset... However, Bergeron' offensive skills are'nt exceptionnal, fine but not at the same level of a top prospect like Zherdev, Stall, Kostitsyn, Vanek...

You also have to take in consideration he started his NHL carreer having solid vets as linemates (Rolston, Lapointe..), what is easier than playing with guys like Juneau, Dackell...

Bergeron plays a similar type of game Higgins plays... He made the NHL very early, congrat to him, but in the long run dont expect Bergeron being an offensive force!

X-SHARKIE

417 TO MTL said:
Why is it that everyone who has drafted in the top 10 deserves to be there except Kostitsyn?

I didn't include Coburn. Milan Michalek skill set is higher than Kostitsyn...I wasn't bashing him...but I just can't see anyone saying I rather have Kostitsyn more then a few of the guys some are putting him over. Milan Michalek was playing vs top league players full time! in a very very defensive league known as the Czech Elite league, look at the stats there, it's no secret it's a hard league to score in..but that's besides the point,,, I am going by ceiling...Kostitsyn has one of the best shots of i've seen, great , i mean great with the puck...but overall I like a few guys more than him...He's still a top 25 prospect....I'm not bashing him...just saying I like a few guys from 2003 more then him and I would say that at the moment the Habs had better options.

FacelessButcher

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
1)Eric Staal
2)Marc-Andre Fleury
3)Nikolai Zherdev
4)Dion Phaneuf
5)Ryan Suter
6)Nathan Horton
7)Patrice Bergeron
8)Milan Michalek
9)Braydon Coburn
10)Dustin Brown

*disclaimer have not seen Kostitsyn or Vanek play so just plain left them off*

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
X-SHARKIE said:
I didn't include Coburn. Milan Michalek skill set is higher than Kostitsyn...I wasn't bashing him...but I just can't see anyone saying I rather have Kostitsyn more then a few of the guys some are putting him over. Milan Michalek was playing vs top league players full time! in a very very defensive league known as the Czech Elite league, look at the stats there, it's no secret it's a hard league to score in..but that's besides the point,,, I am going by ceiling...Kostitsyn has one of the best shots of i've seen, great , i mean great with the puck...but overall I like a few guys more than him...He's still a top 25 prospect....I'm not bashing him...just saying I like a few guys from 2003 more then him and I would say that at the moment the Habs had better options.

I understand, good post...

You say that Michalek played in a very defensive league and he played vs. men, and I can understand that, that's why you can't look at just stats when evaluating players, Kostitsyn made the CSKA team initially, he barely got any icetime, and when he did he was on the 4th line, the coach, Viktor Tikhonov, is known to have quite a unique way of coaching, and he and kostitsyn clashed, he was sent down to the junior club after a few games, he tore it up down there, then I believe he was recalled to the senior team, and then sent back down again, after dominating with the CSKA-2 team, he was shipped off to play in various international tournaments, including the WJC, WC, EEHL and another I believe...for someone who never got to play with the same linemates on a consistent basis, and who helped his team win in every tournament and league play (except CSKA) kostitsyn had a good year...I'm not sure how many players could handle all that travelling and change all in 1 year...

So like Michalek, you can't just look at his stats online and determine what kind of player he is and will be, there's just too many intagibles that can come into play...

I'm not sure if it's you that mentionned that he hasn't played vs. top notch competition, but 2 years ago at the WJC, he was the most dominant player on the Belarus squad, and caused fits for every team that he played against in that tournament, especially the Russians who tried to put 2 men on him all game, even Kyle Chipchura, the Habs 1st round draft pick of 04' said that Kostitsyn was the best player he's played against this year, as they played in some tournament vs. each other this year...

Again, i'm not saying that he's the next great thing, but he's our best prospect and because he is, Habs fans should be allowed to brag and bost about him, I can understand you guys when Habs fans come around here saying that Andrew Archer is this and that, but Kostitsyn is a talent, a high risk high reward kind of player, so why is it so wrong for us to hype him, he's our best prospect, Buffalo fans hype Vanek, Leafs fans hype Coliacovo, Avalanche fans hype Svatos, so what if Habs fans hype Kostitsyn, he was drafted 10th overall in a deep draft by some of the best scouting minds in hockey (Trevor Timmins and Andre Savard) is it so hard to believe that we could include him as one of the top 10 players of that draft?

For what it's worth, I think Michalek is a solid prospect, probably dosen't have as much upside as Kostitsyn, but he's a safer pick...

Papa Bear

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Vanek

are you guys going on potential, or progression?
cause how vanek is in front of the likes of horton, zherdev and staal (who both played in the NHL last year) and Carter and Getlaf, who both really took giant steps forward in their games from what i've read (and seen from the WJHC), i cant really understand that at all../ :shakehead

Last edited:

Papa Bear

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
And speaking of hype...

hey katz might be a little over hyped... but non habs fans are ALWAYS going to hate on habs propects, regardless...
but most (if not all) of the publications i've read has him in the top 10-15 in their overall prospects lists, so he must have some talent...

and if you're going to talk overhyped prospects... people are treating parise like the second coming of Christ...
i admit i liked him a lot before the draft last year(he was one of my favorite players) but he's not gretzky, lemieux or even crosby...

also, i believe that playing in russia (even if its a second tier league) is a little more competitive than playing in college...
or perhaps we should believe that playing in the CHL is more competitive than playing in the AHL...

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
nomorekids said:
. However...the amount of hype(which you really can't deny) that comes SOLELY from Habs fans.

Errrrr, no. Therien lies the problem....He was hyped heavily by many others before he even became a Hab....Red Line for one had him as their top or at least a top-5 pick...if memory serves me right.

Since the Habs picked him....sure, fans will be optimistic based on all the previous hoopla surrounding him....but that is the case for all fans....you singled out one fanbase for your criticism...that is what I consider unacceptable. It is more classy and objective to state something like..."don't you think you have Kotsystin rated a little high? Why do you think he's a better prospect than so-and-so?"...instead it is Hab fans this and Hab fans that....this is the stuff that irks me...whether its targeting Hab, Leafs or [insert team here] fans....

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Habdul said:
Errrrr, no. Therien lies the problem....He was hyped heavily by many others before he even became a Hab....Red Line for one had him as their top or at least a top-5 pick...if memory serves me right.

Since the Habs picked him....sure, fans will be optimistic based on all the previous hoopla surrounding him....but that is the case for all fans....you singled out one fanbase for your criticism...that is what I consider unacceptable. It is more classy and objective to state something like..."don't you think you have Kotsystin rated a little high? Why do you think he's a better prospect than so-and-so?"...instead it is Hab fans this and Hab fans that....this is the stuff that irks me...whether its targeting Hab, Leafs or [insert team here] fans....

I think RLR gave Kostitsyn 50% of the hype he has now, and Hab fans gave him the other 50%.

News Flash: RLR also said Chistov was the most talanted player in his draft, and still to this day say he will be a top Scorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad