Top Ten Canucks Defensemen - #4

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
bubla.jpg

Good point, but I hesitate to mention Europeans of that era because they had a lower level of competition. Bubla excelled internationally but he never seemed to make it work in the NHL. A lot of early Czechs seemed to have the same problem.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Going with Edler, pull out the flamethrowers.

Or showing your age a little :P

When he's at the top of his game, you could argue Edler being in the Top 5 defensemen in the league, I don't think we've ever had a defenseman like that before. Hamhuis is more sound on defense, but Edler can be an offensive threat as well, he could quarterback a powerplay and he can also play the penalty kill if you need to. He just has an all around game and that's what I like about him.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
When he's at the top of his game, you could argue Edler being in the Top 5 defensemen in the league, I don't think we've ever had a defenseman like that before. Hamhuis is more sound on defense, but Edler can be an offensive threat as well, he could quarterback a powerplay and he can also play the penalty kill if you need to. He just has an all around game and that's what I like about him.

Well...Harold Snepsts and Dana Murzyn could crosscheck players and fight! Lets see Edler do that! :sarcasm:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Good point, but I hesitate to mention Europeans of that era because they had a lower level of competition. Bubla excelled internationally but he never seemed to make it work in the NHL. A lot of early Czechs seemed to have the same problem.
Yeah it's too bad Bubla (and Hlinka) didn't come over sooner to North America - but alas the "political environment" was alot different back then. In Bubla's case, I think his game would've adapted well to the "North American style of hockey"; as it was, he did have a couple servicable years for the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad