Top Ten Canucks Defensemen - #4

Co Ho*

IMO, Mitchell, Salo, Bieksa, Edler, and Ehrhoff are all relatively similar in terms of impact on the team. They've all put in a few very solid years, with Salo being the standout for most loyal and having the longest tenure here. But I honestly think Hamhuis is the most valuable dman on the team, we collapsed after he got injured in the SCF. He's not the most flashy or noticeable dman, but I think he's our MVP on the blue line.

Outside99*

Salo is the all-time leader among Canuck D with 78 playoff games.

Edit: also 2nd among active Dmen in plus minus (Chara is first).

Last edited by a moderator:

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
Sami Salo, despite all his injuries he was an effective player (loved that slapshot) and was one of the longest-serving Canucks blueliners.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Dan Hamhuis is the best defensemen on the best defence we've ever had.

I think thats debatable...might be the best defensive group we've had but I'm not sure Hamhuis is the best we have, he might be the most consistently good though.

If we're just talking the best defenseman to put on a Canuck jersey then it should have been Paul Reinhart...Just like (as nauseating as it is to say) the best player to put on a Canuck jersey was Mark Messier.

embee

Apr 29, 2011
Is the reason Jeff Brown isn't on this list due his short tenure?

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Is the reason Jeff Brown isn't on this list due his short tenure?

... and because of his silly off ice creative nature.

As for Dan H. My problem is that we need to look at what he has done with the Canucks and not what he did with another team. While he is the best D man overall to be in a Canuck uniform, he has not done the most while in a Canuck uniform. A guy wore 99 for the blues for a year, does that make him the greatest Blues player of all tiem? No. Dan H needs to do more in a canuck uniform to be called one of the top ten defensemen of all time

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
... and because of his silly off ice creative nature.

As for Dan H. My problem is that we need to look at what he has done with the Canucks and not what he did with another team. While he is the best D man overall to be in a Canuck uniform, he has not done the most while in a Canuck uniform. A guy wore 99 for the blues for a year, does that make him the greatest Blues player of all tiem? No. Dan H needs to do more in a canuck uniform to be called one of the top ten defensemen of all time

Gretzky didn't do anything special with the Blues. Hamhuis is a big reason we've become an elite team and have had the most success in franchise history.

Lets be honest, the competition isn't stiff. Sami Salo? Really?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
If we're just talking the best defenseman to put on a Canuck jersey then it should have been Paul Reinhart...Just like (as nauseating as it is to say) the best player to put on a Canuck jersey was Mark Messier.
One guy carried the team to a playoff spot (awful squad - no talent) while the other carried the team to the NHL basement (awful squad with some talent but highly disfunctional).:sarcasm:

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Gretzky didn't do anything special with the Blues. Hamhuis is a big reason we've become an elite team and have had the most success in franchise history.

Lets be honest, the competition isn't stiff. Sami Salo? Really?

Elite team? For me only teams that win the big trophy are classified as elite teams. The better teams make the playoffs and the best team wins. I am not a happy fan with the last two seasons and I have concerns with what the future holds. If we lose this season, I have a gut notion that we will be open to get knocked off by a few teams in the west in 13/14

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Might as well add Corrado. If people like Sami Salo are being voted in this early I think this poll has lost all integrity. Too many people voting who just have no clue of the Canucks alumni.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I might give that to Mathieu Schneider.

bubla.jpg

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Might as well add Corrado. If people like Sami Salo are being voted in this early I think this poll has lost all integrity. Too many people voting who just have no clue of the Canucks alumni.

Yes, Harold Snepsts was a MUCH better defenseman than Salo. :laugh:

I think a lot of people understand all to well the Canucks alumni, there is a reason why those teams of yesteryear sucked.

Last edited:

CookieCrumbs*

Exactly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad