Top Ten Canucks Defensemen - #3

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
You beat me to it.

I could overlook the penalty if it was "good one" (eg., taking a penalty to eliminate a scoring opportunity); but it was so stupid. The referee gave him a "gimmie" with the first shot he gave on the Flames player (forgot who the player was in front of the net) but he then gave him another shot for good measure (which the ref finally blew the whistle).

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
For his flaws, Jovo actually had game breaking talent, Kearns was basically Marc-Andre Bergeron.
Think you're not giving Kearns enough credit. Kearns was more of a true PP QB/puck distributor - where MAB one legit NHL skill was his shot from the point. Kearns smallish size hurt his play without the puck.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Remember the last year Jovo was on the team - who was in the penalty box when Calgary scored that OT series winning goal (worse, it was a needless penalty).

Bieksa has done more to help the Canucks advance in the post-season.

I agree with you. While Jovo was an excellent puck rusher, I have a hard time calling him a game-breaker.

Of course Ohlund wasn't as flashy, but he made less mistakes and was almost as good as Jovanovski offensively some years.

Kearns was more than a Marc-Andre Bergeron. He had a crisp first-pass, and was a true PP quarterback. Excellent offensive skills and took on a defensive role too. You gotta remember those teams he was on weren't close to matching the WCE talent. I don't think comparing Jovo and MAB was a good comparison.

putridgasbag

Grand Poohba
Oct 18, 2006
Comox Valley
Think you're not giving Kearns enough credit. Kearns was more of a true PP QB/puck distributor - where MAB one legit NHL skill was his shot from the point. Kearns smallish size hurt his play without the puck.

No he wasn't. He was a useless bum who had pictures of old man Griffith with a donkey. Only rational reason that he was a Canuck for so long.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
No he wasn't. He was a useless bum who had pictures of old man Griffith with a donkey. Only rational reason that he was a Canuck for so long.

meh, he was a decent 3rd pairing defenseman who was given a top four role because the team sucked. MAB, wasn't even a decent 3rd pairing defenseman. Not even an NHLer if it weren't for his shot from the point. Not a good comparison.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I could overlook the penalty if it was "good one" (eg., taking a penalty to eliminate a scoring opportunity); but it was so stupid. The referee gave him a "gimmie" with the first shot he gave on the Flames player (forgot who the player was in front of the net) but he then gave him another shot for good measure (which the ref finally blew the whistle).

I think we need to link this for the kids that have forgotten (never saw it)

Also check out the gift at the 2:20 mark (of the video). Classic Special Ed.

Another one at the 4:20 mark.

Penalty at the 8:15 mark on the PP down by one in game 7.

Does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Ohlie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2jl51L8KFY

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->