Top Ten Canucks Defensemen: #1

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I always thought that Matty Ohlund would have been our best, but the eye injury really cost him. So, I'd have to agree, Lumme was pretty well rounded.

If it weren't for his eye he probably could have won a Norris back between 2001-2004. I always felt once the NHL cracked down on obstruction though that due to his lack of foot speed he regressed a lot, but he was one of the greatest defensemen we've ever had over his career. Definitely top 5 on my list and most likely top 3.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
What, no love for Yuri Bublavian hip checks. He was awesome!

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
Jovanovski for peak and sentimental value.

Add Hamhuis. Short tenure, but his quality of play over those seasons has been higher than perhaps any other defenseman has shown on our team over a similar period.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Voted for Ohlund (though in the future, I'd expect Hamhuis to overtake that spot).

For somebody not on the list - my vote would go to Paul Reinhart.

Reactions: Play

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Voted for Ohlund (though in the future, I'd expect Hamhuis to overtake that spot).

For somebody not on the list - my vote would go to Paul Reinhart.

I have problems voting for someone who only spent 2 years with the team though. That's why I wouldn't call for Hamhuis to be added yet, nor would I vote for Ehrhoff.

Add Corrado.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Tough call - went with my own memory, so pre-late 80s players didn't enter into my decision making. Lumme was my choice; silky smooth back there in his prime. Ohlund would be a close #2 for me.

Reactions: Play

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I have problems voting for someone who only spent 2 years with the team though.
I just talking about those that aren't on the list - not so much comparing him to those already on the list (with the exception of guys like Murzyn obviously).

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
4920-424Bk.jpg

add me

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Big bad Dana Murzyn. I loved that guy although he was slower than a slug.

Seemed play well against Gretzky for some reason. But that was about it.

Awesome d-man, but was only here for 2 years. Ehrhoff is on par with him.
Have to agree to disagree.

In terms of duration sure; but Reinhart literally carried the Canucks into the playoffs his first season (very few decent players on the team other than the rookie Linden and of course, the streaky Skriko). Lead the team in points the other season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad