Top Ten Best Fighters of All-Time?

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
IMO dave brown is way too high on some of these lists.
if he didnt get the edge by jumping guys, his fights were very even.

i'll take some the enforcers who preceded him by a few years any day

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Probert is a legend and there's a lot of subjectivity in any list but I'll say this...

The heavily roided version of Tony Twist when he was playing for the Blues was the scariest fighter I've seen in the NHL.

04' hockey

Jul 1, 2003
City of Brotherly Lo
Visit site
this ;)
the fact that wilson is not in most top 3 is disappointing. die hard isles fan here. and wilson is the only guy i ever saw lay a beating on gillies...and he did it twice(once on philly, once on chicago).

for those too young...research Gillies DESTROYING the WHOLE NHL ( besides Wilson...) he beat Schultz with three punches! wrecked o'reilly , fotiu wouldnt even fight him.
Gillies was so feared that he never had 100 PIMs in a season. the league was afraid of him.
that says more than anything.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
1-probie
2-jethro gillies
3-wilson
4-playfair
5-semenko
6 - laraque - Champ for a long time
7- futiu (beat wilson a few times)
8-battleship bob kelly - considered the NHL champ for a bit in 70s
9-link gaetz - good fighter, huge and crazy
10- twist

Last edited:

Bullvyne666

Mar 29, 2013
Medford,MA
1. Probert
2. W Clark
3. J Ferguson
4. G Howe
5. Clark Gillies
6. Joey Kocur
7. Dave Brown
8. Stan Jonathan
9. Battleship
10.McSorley
11.Terry OReilly
12. Domi
13. Jay Miller
14. Mel Bridgeman
15. Pat Quinn

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
1. Wilson
2. Probert
3. Brown
4. Kocur
5. Brashear
6. Gillies
7. Playfair
8. Nystrom
9. Domi
10. McSorley

Much better list here, than most I've seen. Wilson at # 1 I agree with, and I never heard of him that much--compared to guys like Probert. Behn Wilson wasn't a flashy fighter like Probert but I "never" saw Behn Wilson lose a fight - after watching a lot of videos.

Note- the # 1 and # 2 - Wilson and Probert are "right on." ( very close)

Changes or shuffles I would make to this list- see below

1a) Brashear to # 3 ( didn't lose hardly ever)

1b) Move Brown to 7-th or 8th place -"at best" ??

2) Gillies to # 4

3) Kocur and Nystrom--take off list

4) Put --Tony Twist or George Larague at # 5

Now that we have a "real top 5"--fill in the rest -- 6-10 ;)

Note - I should also add that Behn Wilson beat up Clark Gillies 2 times, in the fights I saw, and everybody in the NHL was scared to fight Gillies. He would destroy people. I'd still put Gillies at # 4 though. Wilson is very "underrated" by a lot of posters on here. Check out his videos -he's wicked !!!

Should also add -- I saw Brashear fight Probert about 6 times --and the last 2--- I think Brashear won, and the first 2 Probert won--so Brashear should be slotted in at around # 3. Close fights though !!

Last edited:

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Much better list here, than most I've seen. Wilson at # 1 I agree with, and I never heard of him that much--compared to guys like Probert. Behn Wilson wasn't a flashy fighter like Probert but I "never" saw Behn Wilson lose a fight - after watching a lot of videos.
Note- the # 1 and # 2 - Wilson and Probert are "right on." ( very close)

Changes or shuffles I would make to this list- see below

1a) Brashear to # 3 ( didn't lose hardly ever)
1b) Move Brown to 7-th or 8th place -"at best" ??

2) Gillies to # 4

3) Kocur and Nystrom--take off list

4) Put --Tony Twist or George Larague at # 5
Now that we have a "real top 5"--fill in the rest -- 6-10 ;)
Note - I should also add that Behn Wilson beat up Clark Gillies 2 times, in the fights I saw, and everybody in the NHL was scared to fight Gillies. He would destroy people. I'd still put Gillies at # 4 though. Wilson is very "underrated" by a lot of posters on here. Check out his videos -he's wicked !!!
Should also add -- I saw Brashear fight Probert about 6 times --and the last 2--- I think Brashear won, and the first 2 Probert won--so Brashear should be slotted in at around # 3. Close fights though !!
Wilson lost to Fotiu and Wensink. Both were great fights, though, where he held his own with two very tough men.

Not sure what your beef is with Kocur or Brown. Both had an incredible win/loss record and an impressive fight card. Putting someone like Twist above them is incorrect imo, as Twist fought sparingly compared to these two. He had a great run in the mid 90's, during his steroid era Blues days, but he still didn't fight that often and I can't say I'd rank him above McCarthy or Simon during that same era.

Laraque I have mixed feelings on. He was a boring hugger, like Brashear, but I think Brashear had a more impressive overall career as a fighter.

Last edited:

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
I would have Orr in the top 20. Might have been the best knockout artist of the modern era. His right hand was nasty

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Wilson lost to Fotiu and Wensink. Both were great fights, though, where he held his own with two very tough men.

Not sure what your beef is with Kocur or Brown. Both had an incredible win/loss record and an impressive fight card. Putting someone like Twist above them is incorrect imo, as Twist fought sparingly compared to these two. He had a great run in the mid 90's, during his steroid era Blues days, but he still didn't fight that often and I can't say I'd rank him above McCarty or Simon during that same era.

Laraque I have mixed feelings on. He was a boring hugger, like Brashear, but I think Brashear had a more impressive overall career as a fighter.

Well GMR -- I certainly cannot say your wrong here !!! - and I think you had the most accurate list of all the posters. I didn't know Wilson lost to Fotiu and Wensink ? - I'll have to look up these fights. All I can say is that every video I saw of Behn Wilson-- is he handled and won every fight quite easily that I saw. I did see Probert lose to Domi and also Brashear, and he likely lost others as well. Funny thing for me, is I never heard of Wilson til I started watching old fight videos --and it's probably because he was not a flambuoyant flashy fighter like Probert. You likely saw a lot more fight videos than I did. It's just that so many people did not have Wilson in their top 10, and that is not even close to being right. I think your 1 and 2 are right.

For a guy like Laraque you could make a case for him being # 1 --as I never saw him really lose a fight or get beat up. You are right though--he was a hugger and a bit of a boring fighter to watch. ( unlike Probert) I'm saying if Laraque had a "mean streak" like Probert, Domi, Twist or Brown-- he would have killed guys. Laraque was just doing his job, and was to nice a guy to really want to hurt people. He was one "powerful" man though.

As for Kocur or Brown --all I can say is I thought Kocur was short, and I saw him lose quite a few fights. I'm sure he had a tremendous punch, but he was fighting at a disadvantage, being so short -- much like Domi. I don't think I would put him in the top 10. I'd rank Kocur in the same class as Domi, and both about the same size, and both mighty tough. More light heavy weights--same would go for Nystrom.

On Brown-- I was not impressed with him --for as much as all the hype saying how tough he was. I saw him fight Probert--he hit Probert 2 times, when Probert wasn't ready, and Probert grabbed him, and knocked him down 2 times in that fight. Probert would have easily killed him. I just never saw him totally dominate any fight like Wilson or Probert would. I guess I'd have to watch more videos of him. I did read that he had a real mean streak-would hit first, and liked to hurt people. I'm not sure he was as tough as they say -- but it seems like you've watched a lot more than I have. If George Laraque had his mean streak--"he'd be scary."

I will say this -- I think if Laraque or Brashear were mad, either of these guys could kill a guy like Brown-- just my opinion. They were guys that were just doing their job--just for the money, and didn't take pleasure in "really hurting people." That's the impression I got-- but they were both very powerful men.

For that reason, I could not put Brown ahead of Brashear or Laraque. Who did Laraque really lose to ? or get dominated by -- you'd have to say "nobody"-- and that's pretty much the same for Brashear, although Probert got the best of him in a couple fights when Brashear was starting out. These guys with "big heads"--like Laraque, Brashear, or Domi --are very hard to hurt.

Also I wouldn't have Nystrom in the top 10, as I saw him fight to a draw or lose quite a few times.

So, with all due respect to your list -- my top 5 would be as follows:

1) Behn Wilson

2) Bob Probert

3) Laraque or Brashear - take your pick ?

4) Clark Gillies

5) Brashear or Laraque? -- 3 and 5 are interchangeable

6) One of Brown, Twist or McSoreley ??? --"you decide"-maybe Brown?

Note- I did see Brashear fight McSorely about 4-5 times, and Brashear totally dominated him--"no problem." He beat him up quite easily !!!

Now you have to admit--that's not a bad top 6 of tough guys :cool:
___________________________________________________-

For candidates for 6-10 -- You'd have to consider names like-- McSorely , Grimson,
Crowder, Brown, Simom, Twist, Langdon and many others For myself I just could not put Nystrom, or Kocur in this top 10 list -- but it's just "my opinion" and it's very subjective, and it's based on hours of video I watched.

Guys like-- Domi, Nystrom, Clark, Kocur, Wensink were more middle to light heavyweights, and belong in a different class.

Note-- I may have "overrated" Twist here- because he was really all juiced up on steroids, and if he wasn't-- he likely would "not" have been the same?? I'd say the other guys were not on steroids-- but you never know for sure ? Also a "good chance" that Brashear was on steroids as well ?? -- it sort of changes things a little.

In summary -- I didn't watch hardly any videos of guys like Grimson, Crowder, Byers, Orr, or some other guys -- but between you and me --somehow we can round out this Top 6 ( even though you don't like Laraque) You have to admit -- "nobody" beat up Laraque at all--it's just that he wasn't "mean" -- but if he was--he'd probably be #1. He could have killed guys when he had them down--but didn't.

All in all-- your list was great !!! at least you had Behn Wilson in the Top 2 -- where he really belongs --and I think he would have taken Probert -- but you never know ? ??---that Probert was tough , had game, and loved to fight !!!

Your more of an expert than I am --as you cited Fotiu and Wensink both beat Wilson-- but then again, they were close hard fought fights, so they didn't mop the floor with him. Wilson handled Gillies 2 times- "very easily."- I was "surprised."

Gillies was for real -- he handled Boston's tough guy Terry OReilly -3-4 times, Dave Schultz, and Ed Hodospar. I believe he broke Hodospar's jaw with 1 punch--"powerful guy." I just named a few here-there were others.

I'll leave this up to you to consider changing number # 7-10 slots ?? I think the list needs to be modified. If your list stands as stated-- I certainly will respect your opinion, but we'd have to agree to disagree.:thumbu:

Last edited:

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Kocur's best run was in the late 80's to early 90's. He had a four or five year gap where he hardly lost a fight. Easily the most feared fighter ever because of his punch power and how many players he seriously hurt. Brown, much like Kocur is another fighter that looked like he was out to hurt people. I think when you watch more of their fight videos (especially in their primes) you'll see why they're rated so highly.

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
There should be 2 Divisions here --to be fair. Mine are as follows

Heavyweight Division

1) Behn Wilson
2) Bob Probert
3) George Laraque -- could be # 1, but wasn't mean enough !!!
4) Clark Gillies
5) Brashear
6) Marty McSorely --- "this is one hell of a tough bunch of guys here"
7) Tony Twist
8) Dave Brown
9) Stu Grimson
10) Darren Langdon - Sandy McCarthy ??

Honorable mention- Nick Fotiu, Troy Crowder, Playfair, McKenzie,Zdeno Chara

Light Heavyweight Division

1) Tie Domi -- # 1 and 2, could be interchangeable ?
2) Joey Kocur
3) John Ferguson
4) Stan Jonathon
5) Tiger Williams
6) Jay Miller
7) Chris Neal note--a lot of these guys "beat heavyweights often."
8) Chris Nilan
9) John Wensink
10) Mark Rypien -Bob Nystrom- John Kordic ??- either one.

Bit of a "scary list" :cool:

Last edited:

FaceWash

Jun 3, 2018
not in any order

Bob Probert
Behn Wilson
John Wensink
Glen Cochrane
Craig Berube
Clark Gillies
Jay Miller
Stu Grimson
Donald Brashier
Keith Magnuson

*ok, Maggie lost the majority of his fights but the guy showed up every game and backed down from nobody and thats a thumbs up in my book :)

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Heavyweight Division

1) Behn Wilson
2) Bob Probert
4) Clark Gillies
5) Brashear
7) Tony Twist
8) Dave Brown
9) Stu Grimson

2) Joey Kocur
3) John Ferguson
4) Stan Jonathon
5) Tiger Williams
6) Jay Miller
8) Chris Nilan
9) John Wensink

I like the divisions set up.

I'd add that Lucic should be in your heavyweights HM. People forget how devastating of a fighter he was in his prime. He had other teams changing how they make their rosters to account for him.

Also, I'd find a way to get Taz on your LHW list. Guy was an animal

Reactions: GNP

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

Heavyweight Division

1) Behn Wilson
2) Bob Probert
4) Clark Gillies
5) Brashear
7) Tony Twist
8) Dave Brown
9) Stu Grimson

2) Joey Kocur
3) John Ferguson
4) Stan Jonathon
5) Tiger Williams
6) Jay Miller
8) Chris Nilan
9) John Wensink

Behn Wilson's rookie season was amazing. He went through the league taking on all the bad asses. I am old school so the Hammer, Bubba Beck and Paul Holmgren need to be added. John Ferguson was a bad man.I lost all respect for Domi when he ran from Richardson. Also Frank the Animal fought Brashear 3 times with 2 wins and a draw in the AHL When Domi was hurt Frank was called up to replace him. However a bad knee finished his NHL career. Wensink was tough and Nystrom could throw them. A very underrated fighter was "The Hawk" Rick MacLeish.

Reactions: vandymeer13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->