Proposal: Top Six Winger to Arizona (for a 2nd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I feel like the Coyotes need another winger who can put some points on the board (preferably goals). Ideally, this would be a LW rather than a RW. So my first preference would be a goal-scoring LW.

I'm looking for a guy who has 15-20g per 82/gp potential. 35-40pts /82gp kind of guy. Maybe he's 28-32 years old. Maybe a pending UFA. I'm not asking for an All-Star.

The Coyotes have been healthy scratching Jason Demers, who is a pending UFA. So this is the chip to be used to balance cap-hits. Depending on the winger's AAV, the Coyotes also have Antti Raanta available to add to the deal to balance out the money. Another pending UFA, Raanta continues to struggle to stay healthy.

As for the actual trade asset? I'd like to use the 2021 Columbus 2nd round pick the Coyotes acquired from Ottawa for Stepan. That player is so terrible, and losing him was absolutely addition by subtraction. So that 2nd round pick feels an awful lot like found money.

Cliff's Notes: Do you have a goal-scoring, left winger you'd like to trade for a 2nd round pick and a cap-dump? Offer him up here! :)

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
How does a 2nd get you a top-6 winger?

I'll give you Johansson, that's the type of "top 6 winger" you're going to get
2nd rounders often get 2nd line wingers? I think we may have different definitions of what constitutes a 2nd line winger. I'm looking for a guy who has 15-20g per 82/gp potential. 35-40pts /82gp kind of guy. Maybe he's 28-32 years old. Maybe a pending UFA. I'm not asking for an All-Star.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
2nd rounders often get 2nd line wingers? I think we may have different definitions of what constitutes a 2nd line winger. I'm looking for a guy who has 15-20g per 82/gp potential. 35-40pts /82gp kind of guy. Maybe he's 28-32 years old. Maybe a pending UFA. I'm not asking for an All-Star.
35 points is a top-6 winger? Ok, Johansson for a 2nd.

rt

May 13, 2004
Here's an example:

Speaking on The Program with hosts Satiar Shah and Andrew Walker, Friedman expanded on something he wrote in his 31 Thoughts column today. It involves Pearson, a useful top-six forward for the Canucks who is also a pending unrestricted free agent.

“One thing I heard was the Coyotes had kicked around the idea of Tanner Pearson, if he becomes available. But there’s no proof at this time he is,” said Friedman. “I’m not saying the Canucks have put him out there. I just think he’s kind of on their radar if that does become a possibility.”

31 Thoughts: When will the 2021 NHL Entry Draft take place?
It will be interesting to see if the fallout from negative publicity in Arizona means the team considers adding a player or two to compete in the West. They play hard, are in the race, and came back from down 3–0 to shock Anaheim 4–3 Monday night. (The heat is on in Anaheim — that was a rough defeat.) The Coyotes are looking for a centre and could check out an additional rental like Montour or
Tanner Pearson

How far off is Demers/Raanta and the Columbus 2021 2nd rounder for Tanner Pearson? He's been traded twice before; one for Hagelin and the other for Gudbranson. I would argue a 2nd round pick would be the best return a team has received for him thus far.

Reactions: Petey O

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
for that kind of return, and asking to take a dump back, you're much more likely going to get someone in the "middle six" variety, that can play 2nd line on his best day but is probably best suited to a good third line.

Then you'd have to narrow your field of search even further to teams that can probably consider themselves out of it already.

Pearson's not a bad target, but I think he'd return a second rounder without having to take Demers back, and Vancouver already has Demko and Holtby so Raanta wouldn't be interesting at all.

Maybe a guy like Armia out of Montreal fills that bill if the Habs keep sliding?

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Usually it does qualify one as a top-six winger, yes. If you look back at any of the recent 82 game season, and look at winger production, generally 35 points puts you comfortable in top-six territory. If you simply rank wingers by scoring.
I'm not sure it does. I looked at last year and added a filter for minimum of 20 games played and looked at Pt/G (35 pts = .42) which puts you at the 272 ranked player. I'd label that mid 6 if anything.

Source
NHL Stats

Petey O

Kuzmenko did nothing wrong
Feb 26, 2021
PDOland
Reactions: bh53

rt

May 13, 2004
for that kind of return, and asking to take a dump back, you're much more likely going to get someone in the "middle six" variety, that can play 2nd line on his best day but is probably best suited to a good third line.

Then you'd have to narrow your field of search even further to teams that can probably consider themselves out of it already.

Pearson's not a bad target, but I think he'd return a second rounder without having to take Demers back, and Vancouver already has Demko and Holtby so Raanta wouldn't be interesting at all.

Maybe a guy like Armia out of Montreal fills that bill if the Habs keep sliding?
Tanner Pearson's base-salary this season is $3.85mil, while his cap-hit is 3.75aav. Demers has a base salary $2.275 and a cap-hit of 3.9375aav. Both players are pending UFAs.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Tanner Pearson's base-salary this season is $3.85mil, while his cap-hit is 3.75aav. Demers has a base salary $2.275 and a cap-hit of 3.9375aav. Both players are pending UFAs.

I know, but why would Vancouver want to take him back? Like I said I'm pretty sure Pearson could fetch a 2nd without having to take a dump back.

Reactions: Cogburn and Mr Plow

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Nikita Gusev. He doesn't have a place in NJD top6 anyway, and he's useless on bottom6. Expiring contract as well, and he can play both wings.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Could see Heinen being dealt by the Ducks. Upcoming RFA who hasn't proven he needs to be part of the core moving forward. But he's smart and fairly versatile, has shown he's capable of putting up 40 points while being solid defensively. Might be a decent addition to a team's top 6 or top 9 depth.

Anaheim has a lot of NHL ready wingers who can replace him, bit of a log jam forming. At this point I'd take the best pick offered and cut bait.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Are there many teams looking for rentals that have a bunch of cap space available?

Don't need "a bunch" on deadline day. Between LTIR and being able to add contracts at a fraction of the regular cap hit, deadline cap space goes a lot further. It's not a "coyotes have the rental market cornered" situation.

rt

May 13, 2004
Don't need "a bunch" on deadline day. Between LTIR and being able to add contracts at a fraction of the regular cap hit, deadline cap space goes a lot further. It's not a "coyotes have the rental market cornered" situation.
Then the same is also true of Demers, isn’t it? So why would they care? They wouldn’t.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
The 62nd ranked LW in 2018-209 had 28 points. The 62nd ranked RW in 2018-2019 had 23 points.
So with that logic you're saying you can be labeled as a top 6 RW with 23 points? How many of those centers actually play wing instead (eg Stamkos, Giroux, etc.) Those numbers don't even hold up on one of the worst scoring teams in history, Detroit last year.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Nikita Gusev could be available.

Johnsson has meshed well with Hughes and Palmieri, and Zacha has been on fire at LW next to Nico and Bratt. Gusev's spot in the top-6 is certainly in jeopardy, and his skill game doesn't quite jive with the style our bottom-6 plays.

No need for Demers; we can just take your house money off your hands. CBJ 2021 2nd + PIT 2021 4th? We can retain the maximum amount.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Here's an example:

31 Thoughts: When will the 2021 NHL Entry Draft take place?

How far off is Demers/Raanta and the Columbus 2021 2nd rounder for Tanner Pearson? He's been traded twice before; one for Hagelin and the other for Gudbranson. I would argue a 2nd round pick would be the best return a team has received for him thus far.

I used the Tyler Toffoli trade from last season as a bench mark. I think TT is the better player, but TT for a 2nd and Madden (a prospect that had just had a breakout season in the NCAA and was probably worth a 2nd). So I would think that Pearson would be worth a 2nd minimum. Seeing as his contract is not very big ($3.75) if the Yotes want the Canucks to take on additional cap (Demers or Raanta) I would think the ask would be a 2nd +. If the Nucks are trading Pearson it's because they're sellers - Demers/Raanta become extra cash out with no seasonal game play value. If Pearson is available I could see other teams asking as well so a 2nd and dump might not get it done (this is the Canuck fan in me wanted the most value possible). If a 2nd and dump is the best offer - I pull the trigger this is a lost season already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->