Value of: Top-Six Center to the Red Wings

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Daley (3.17M) and Abdelkader (4.25M) for Turris (6M).

Detroit would get a player, while expensive, that can still contribute.
Nashville would get a steady 3rd D and a less expensive (than Turris) LW.
I would pass on that... too many years at too high a cap hit for an older player in Abdelkader.

I do understand that it might be all we can get in moving Turris. But if so, I'd just keep Turris. He's an expensive luxury player to us atm, but still somewhat decent at least. I'd be fine with just Daley, but including Adelkader would defeat the purpose for us. I'd like to clear $6M in cap space, not just $1.75M.

Or at least, I wouldn't shout "DONE!" and run with it. I'd be shopping around more first, and scouting Abdelkader a little more closely to try to gauge if it looked like he might have something to offer on the ice for us. He'd have to look a lot better than I am expecting.

Definitely a fair offer, just not really one I'd be ready to take (yet).

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
The advantage to Turris ought to be that he should be quite cheap to acquire. He's stuck in limbo right now with the Preds... Johansen, Duchene, and Sissons are signed long-term at C, and Bonino still has this year and next left too. There's just no real role for Turris that fits his skillset. The disadvantage is his contract. Or it's a risk factor anyway. He can score 50-ish pts playing a 2nd line role with decent wingers. He's not a "strong" #2C. But an adequate one. It doesn't leave a lot of profit margin relative to his salary. So far he looks like he is fully recovered this season and playing up to his usual level. Except he's relegated to 4th line minutes in our logjam.

So anyway, if I was GM in Nashville, you wouldn't have to pay us much of anything to take Turris on. He's an expensive luxury to us and I'd rather have the cap flexibility to address other needs down the road. I don't know what Daley's injury status is, but as just one example, if Daley was projected to be back, we could use a steadier 3rd pair D than our current options, and an expiring deal is ideal for us.

But I'm not GM in Nashville, and I doubt Poile would actually give him up as cheaply as I would.

Exactly what I was thinking. He's played 2C before and I think he still can. With that contract and Duchene/Johansen forcing him down the lineup Nashville would be willing to move him and not many other teams would be interested or able to add 6m which drives his value down.

But, in reality, I don't think the Wings will be looking to add a veteran 2C when we have Nielsen/Filppula in the NHL, Rasmussen/Veleno knocking on the door, and aren't exactly in win-now mode.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
My thinking originally was to somehow get rid of Nielsen (since Flip makes him redundant, at a cheaper and shorter contract), and add someone like Turris who can then drop down to 3rd-line duties if/when Veleno/Rasmussen are ready to step in.

:dunno:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
So... pay to get rid of Nielsen, then pay more to add a new Nielsen just to have a slightly worse draft spot while still not actually contending for anything? Unless someone out there is really in love with our tier 2 wingers (Svech, Berggren, etc.), it's hard to believe the team could actually improve much on Nielsen (and I think Nielsen is garbage). Especially when it's not like the team is actually going to do anything in April regardless. Hard pass on anything that could realistically be offered, here.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'd get roasted on The Oilers board for this but maybe it's time to move RNH and finally let Draisaitl run the second line away from McDavid.

I'd want AA with a plus. What the plus would be I'm not sure. RNH has 2 years on his contract at a pretty good cap hit. Granted I don't know AA cap hit or term

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I'd get roasted on The Oilers board for this but maybe it's time to move RNH and finally let Draisaitl run the second line away from McDavid.

I'd want AA with a plus. What the plus would be I'm not sure. RNH has 2 years on his contract at a pretty good cap hit. Granted I don't know AA cap hit or term
I'd be interested in this as a starting point as a wings fan.
These 2 guys seem like they each have a pretty wide range of opinions on their values, but I'd be willing to add another nice piece or two on top

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'd be interested in this as a starting point as a wings fan.
These 2 guys seem like they each have a pretty wide range of opinions on their values, but I'd be willing to add another nice piece or two on top

Would Rasmussen plus be available if Edmonton adds Adam Larsson?

RNH + Larsson for AA + Rasmussen +

I'd like to see AA with McDavid and Rasmussen with Draisaitl on the 2nd line.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Would Rasmussen plus be available if Edmonton adds Adam Larsson?

RNH + Larsson for AA + Rasmussen +

I'd like to see AA with McDavid and Rasmussen with Draisaitl on the 2nd line.
That sounds interesting. I'd need to brush up on Adam Larsson's career. Not sure if he's a good young defenseman with more upside or a useless cap dump. Haven't followed closely enough.

(Also, I'd rather give up Zadina than Rasmussen, but you won't find too many people like me)

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
That sounds interesting. I'd need to brush up on Adam Larsson's career. Not sure if he's a good young defenseman with more upside or a useless cap dump. Haven't followed closely enough.

(Also, I'd rather give up Zadina than Rasmussen, but you won't find too many people like me)

Larsson isn't dump, he's a solid #4 stay at home guy. That's been overshadowed by the Hall trade and his dad passed away mid season last year and he struggled after that. I think he might really benefit from a change of scenery.

I hear you on Zadina, with Rasmussen I love his size and skill combination and feel matched up with Draisaitl would be a force, hence my wanting him over other higher rated assets on the wings.

Reactions: izlez

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm good on getting Byfield.

We started 4-1-0 in 2017-2018 and we scored 18 goals in those 5 games, then we lost 6 straight.
Sorry to be one that bumps a thread to toot their own horn, but this post was almost prophetic. Started 3-1-0 and then lost 5 straight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->