Value of: Top-Six Center to the Red Wings

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
He is a C. On some teams would be the 2nd line C.
He is still youngish, hence the (?)

Honestly, Bjugstad might be a decent option, and likely about what the Wings could hope for with the criteria I set. I definitely like his age, size, and the fact that he's a right-shot.

What sort of "lower budy" injury is he dealing with? Would Pittsburgh be willing to take back Nielsen (with retention) plus a mid-tier prospect or pick?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don't want to troll other teams but there are some out there... Based on your responses it is a no so conversation over ;).

There is no team in the league that could use Bjugstad as a top-6 C. If he is the best option then there is no point making a trade. You may as well wait and draft / develop or sign a legit one in the offseason.

PhilThrillPill

Jun 4, 2016
Toronto
Honestly, Bjugstad might be a decent option, and likely about what the Wings could hope for with the criteria I set. I definitely like his age, size, and the fact that he's a right-shot.

What sort of "lower budy" injury is he dealing with? Would Pittsburgh be willing to take back Nielsen (with retention) plus a mid-tier prospect or pick?
As always, they never disclose anything with out injuries but he is expected to be out for a month.... Malkin is expected to be out longer... What kind of retention are we talking about? I see Nielsen is at 5,250,000 which is a lot and the Pens are looking to free cap (not to add cap).

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I feel like this is more of a draft day type of question. Or tdl however I’m assuming the red wings won’t be buyers.

Not a lot of teams would contemplate giving up a top 6 C unless there is another circumstance that makes said player available.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Scenario: The Red Wings want another top-six center.

The only assets off the table are Larkin, Bertuzzi, Mantha, Hronek, Seider Veleno, and (G) Filip Larsson.

Is a trade possible, or do we have to wait for a draft/development guy to come along?

Go.

Note: I do NOT, nor do I presume to, speak for the entirety of the Red Wings fan base on this message board or anywhere else. This is simply a question borne of pure curiosity and my opinions as a fan.

Edit: Added Veleno. My mistake, it's been a long week.
That’s a lot of assets of the table to be asking for a top 6 center. Not many teams are to looking for one of those

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Turris? He had some great chemistry with Mantha at Worlds. Would probably have to see somebody like Helm or Abdelkader going back for salary.

At the right price I could see Turris.
However, depending on price, I think a young first rounder w/obvious possibility like Chytil is the guy you go for behind Larkin. Obviously, it is a bet that he fulfills his potential into that role, but it is not an unreasonable bet.
Then if Turris can be had for currency you can spare, then you have middle pivot solution.

This should not be taken the wrong way.
Turris is not likely to explode upward in value.
Younger and cheaper Chytil is a good build move towards a foundation piece.

Although Rangers would have to add, we would not part with him for any return other than Seider, likely in a package. I also see NY has other moves to do first.
Hope to do new thread on this over w/e.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
At the right price I could see Turris.
However, depending on price, I think a young first rounder w/obvious possibility like Chytil is the guy you go for behind Larkin. Obviously, it is a bet that he fulfills his potential into that role, but it is not an unreasonable bet.
Then if Turris can be had for currency you can spare, then you have middle pivot solution.

This should not be taken the wrong way.
Turris is not likely to explode upward in value.
Younger and cheaper Chytil is a good build move towards a foundation piece.

Although Rangers would have to add, we would not part with him for any return other than Seider, likely in a package. I also see NY has other moves to do first.
Hope to do new thread on this over w/e.

Not interested in Chytil, definitely not interested in trading Seider. This thread is about acquiring a player who can play 2C right now, we have Veleno and Rasmussen for the future.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Red Wings. Hes better than Filppula. Not that there is any reason for the Wings to make this move at this point in the teams development.
Wrong!!

Nielsen is a career 44.81/82 gp average 158 PIM.........Best of the 3

Filppula is a career 42.67/82 gp average, 312 PIM.........2nd Best of the 3

Bjugstad is a career 39.27/82 gp average, 190 PIM......WORST of the 3.

Bjugstad has also missed 114 games out of 542 possible games

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Wrong!!

Nielsen is a career 44.81/82 gp average 158 PIM.........Best of the 3

Filppula is a career 42.67/82 gp average, 312 PIM.........2nd Best of the 3

Bjugstad is a career 39.27/82 gp average, 190 PIM......WORST of the 3.

Bjugstad has also missed 114 games out of 542 possible games
You are talking about games that were played over a decade ago to determine who is the better player right now? :dunce:

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

:laugh:Pens too, temperarily, until whenever Geno finally comes back.

Pens are still going for it. A healthy Bjugstad means more to the Pens than he would to the rebuilding Wings. He does nothing more for the Wings than Flip and/or Nielson does. All of them are just filler until a Veleno or whoever finally comes along and grabs that 2c spot.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Turris? He had some great chemistry with Mantha at Worlds. Would probably have to see somebody like Helm or Abdelkader going back for salary.
The advantage to Turris ought to be that he should be quite cheap to acquire. He's stuck in limbo right now with the Preds... Johansen, Duchene, and Sissons are signed long-term at C, and Bonino still has this year and next left too. There's just no real role for Turris that fits his skillset. The disadvantage is his contract. Or it's a risk factor anyway. He can score 50-ish pts playing a 2nd line role with decent wingers. He's not a "strong" #2C. But an adequate one. It doesn't leave a lot of profit margin relative to his salary. So far he looks like he is fully recovered this season and playing up to his usual level. Except he's relegated to 4th line minutes in our logjam.

So anyway, if I was GM in Nashville, you wouldn't have to pay us much of anything to take Turris on. He's an expensive luxury to us and I'd rather have the cap flexibility to address other needs down the road. I don't know what Daley's injury status is, but as just one example, if Daley was projected to be back, we could use a steadier 3rd pair D than our current options, and an expiring deal is ideal for us.

But I'm not GM in Nashville, and I doubt Poile would actually give him up as cheaply as I would.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
He's an expensive luxury to us and I'd rather have the cap flexibility to address other needs down the road. I don't know what Daley's injury status is, but as just one example, if Daley was projected to be back, we could use a steadier 3rd pair D than our current options, and an expiring deal is ideal for us.

But I'm not GM in Nashville, and I doubt Poile would actually give him up as cheaply as I would.

Daley (3.17M) and Abdelkader (4.25M) for Turris (6M).

Detroit would get a player, while expensive, that can still contribute.
Nashville would get a steady 3rd D and a less expensive (than Turris) LW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->