Value of: Top-Six Center to the Red Wings

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He needs to be a winger who can cherry pick and fly the zone. Imagine putting AA with someone like even Kyle Turris, and you're getting where I'm headed.

Not even sure what the purpose of that is. The conclusion you'll come to is just draft a top 6 center.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Yes, our top line, 1st pairing D man & Stud D prospect who was drafted like 3 months ago are off the table. Is that so crazy?!

I don't think that's crazy at all. What I do think is at least a little short sighted is trying to trade for a 1st or 2nd line center at this time of the year when the Wings don't seem to have a lot of things that other teams desire besides what isn't realistically available. It's only been a handful of games, teams don't have a grasp of what their team is yet.

I have a feeling that it will be very challenging to pull off a trade for a 1st or 2nd line center at this point in the season.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Lol. Detroit's not trading the assets it would take to get a top 6 center in a year that they have no hope of contending.

They'll continue to develop Veleno.

Yep. Veleno and Larkin will be their top 2 centers when its all said and done.

Though they could move guys like Svechnikov or Zadina to acquire a #2 pivot if they don't like how fast Veleno is developing. I doubt that'll happen tho. Wings need to try to get the first or second overall pick. Lafreniere or Byfield would look like an absolute BEAUTY in a Wings jersey. I'm 100% pulling for Detroit. I hate to see an original 6 team fall on hard times.

Reactions: LazyT and Realgud

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
In my opinion hold onto your pieces unless you can get a real game breaker. Id rather pony up more valuable assets for a bigger piece then spend lesser value for players we probably have in the system

Reactions: BHD

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
In what world is Ryan Strome a top 6 forward? He hasn’t broken 35pts in 5 years now.

He's worth a 3rd + or a 2nd, esp since he is righty.
Yeah, your pt is taken, but he is basically 3rd line guy w/3rd line mins and that corresponding level of talent. Would he be lights out All Star first line if he were RW add to McDavid, or pivot bet'wn say Kane and DeB in Chicago? No, not likely. His #s would certainly go up, though,

Strome is a complementary piece you can use for pivot depth, w/fallback righty shot to RW. Also a stopgap 2C if you have a total vacuum and you need a guy while your long term pivot develops.

Worth it for you, but not as 2C at 2C prices for OP.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
OP, would consider at some pt a prop on Chytil ++ for Seider +.
However, want to respect your OP guidelines if same are hard and fast and not flexible as to return.

Pls advise.
If that is not for here I will, when ready, do a new thread.

Do not otherwise see fit w/NYR for your stated parameters.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
We need a top 6 center... But we also need to not spend assets. Chances are this team will end up in the bottom half of the standings regardless if we pick one up now or not. In my opinion a hot start isn't 4 or 5 games... Wait until you get at least a third into the season before you even consider moves. It's a long season, many injuries, developments, regressions and surprises will happen and Stevie Y knows that.

Reactions: Reddwit

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Fair point, but the longer-contracted Cs blocking that development are Abdelkader and Nielsen; Glendening is a reasonable contract, and I think Helm is borderline.

That's the ultimate question though, isn't it? Do you want to take the chance of a draft pick, or attempt a trade for an "established" 2C (I guess at this point that's what we're shooting for)?

How many years do you "hope" that a draft pick pans out without getting a top-three pick (for the record, I would have taken Dach had he fallen to 6 this past draft)? Rasmussen showed fairly decently for a kid coming straight out of Junior last season, but he needs more time; Veleno is on the right track, but he also needs time, and honestly I'm worried he'll just be Helm 2.0.

Per other teams, do the Wings have the assets worth a Ducheeseknee, RNH, or shudder :pout: Kadri?

I agree with the bolded, but I'm not sure that more draft picks do it.

For the record, I like Cholo, but in my opinion he's expendable for the right 2C.
idk what it would take to get hopkins but it would probably be too expensive for detroit fans when last year he was one of 3 forwards that didnt suck on edmonton

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
He's worth a 3rd + or a 2nd, esp since he is righty.
Yeah, your pt is taken, but he is basically 3rd line guy w/3rd line mins and that corresponding level of talent. Would he be lights out All Star first line if he were RW add to McDavid, or pivot bet'wn say Kane and DeB in Chicago? No, not likely. His #s would certainly go up, though,

He was on the Oilers and completely lacks offensive skill. He's more of a checking center - just lacks playmaking vision or a shot and his skating is meh. He kills plays mostly. Putting him with McDavid would just drag 97's numbers down.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is the prototypical 2C... 50pt over a full season no matter what crappy linemates he's saddled with. Used to play crazy PK minutes and is second fiddle to McDavid and Draisaitl (and third fiddle when he plays center). Great skater, good defensive stick, excellent wrister, excellent vision and passer. I used to call him Datysuk 2.0 but he's more like Datsyuk 0.70

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yes, our top line, 1st pairing D man & Stud D prospect who was drafted like 3 months ago are off the table. Is that so crazy?!
Absolutely not crazy at all. At the same time, once you get those pieces off the table, if your team is really bad.... then there aren't going to be a lot of teams willing to make themselves worse by giving you a 2nd line C for your 8th or 9th best piece.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He was on the Oilers and completely lacks offensive skill. He's more of a checking center - just lacks playmaking vision or a shot and his skating is meh. He kills plays mostly. Putting him with McDavid would just drag 97's numbers down.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is the prototypical 2C... 50pt over a full season no matter what crappy linemates he's saddled with. Used to play crazy PK minutes and is second fiddle to McDavid and Draisaitl (and third fiddle when he plays center). Great skater, good defensive stick, excellent wrister, excellent vision and passer. I used to call him Datysuk 2.0 but he's more like Datsyuk 0.70

thanks for the feedback.
Given that he has the tools, is righty, supply and demand with righty shots desired league wide, I say that pushes his value up to what I indicated.

As to performance, yes, you need certain level of talent and skill to master that talent to competitive advantage, but a lot of it is also chemistry.
Sure there are superior/elite players who make anybody look good, but there are also ordinary guys with similar Fs and chemistry is what makes them look better, or lack of it makes them look worse. IMO.

Not saying he was a fit for Oil.
Logically on paper, if you have a possession driver coupled with a facilitator coupled with an adequate finisher [with some scoring touch] that is one formula that should equal success.
Unfortunate that how Strome would fit into that equation [assuming it is the same for different teams, it might not be] was not solved by Oil and is still not yet fully solved by Rangers.
Of course, it is difficult to always identify which role a specific player has and how that fits with other linemates.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Scenario: The Red Wings want another top-six center.

The only assets off the table are Larkin, Bertuzzi, Mantha, Hronek, Seider Veleno, and (G) Filip Larsson.

Is a trade possible, or do we have to wait for a draft/development guy to come along?

Go.

Note: I do NOT, nor do I presume to, speak for the entirety of the Red Wings fan base on this message board or anywhere else. This is simply a question borne of pure curiosity and my opinions as a fan.

Edit: Added Veleno. My mistake, it's been a long week.

hahaha. we want a top six center, but literally any piece you might want from us for your center is off limits. This topic is DOA

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

If you want a team to give you a good, worthwhile asset? Yeah, it is.

You’re not wrong for not wanting to deal them, but you would be for expecting a center who would actually be any kind of upgrade

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
hahaha. we want a top six center, but literally any piece you might want from us for your center is off limits. This topic is DOA

Honestly, a 2nd-line C would probably be cheaper than many would imagine; it all depends on the needs of the other team at the time of the deal.

If nobody thinks it's worth talking about, that's cool. Lock it up.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
If the Wings find themselves in a playoff spot at the deadline, and the Wild continue to struggle, I imagine Staal would be available on the cheap as a rental. Their desire to obtain him also depends on if he picks up his game though.

I think the Wings should just stay put for now though.

Reactions: RedMenace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->