Prospect Info: Top Shelf Prospects: Washington Capitals

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
http://lastwordonsports.com/top-shelf-prospects-washington-capitals-2/

Top Shelf Prospects: Washington Capitals

In Kuznetsov the Capitals have an outstanding top end talent. However the depth of the system is lacking. There is little at Centre beyond Kuznetsov. On the wings we see Wilson, 2013 draftees Burakovsky and Sanford, and Riley Barber, a project playing NCAA hockey, and Stanislav Galiev who really struggled in his first pro season and couldn’t adjust to the AHL, so he is in the ECHL. There are some decent prospects here, but no forward can really provide immediate help to the Capitals. They are all more long term prospects. On the defence Tom Kundratek will push for a full-time NHL spot this season and Madison Bowey was a good pick, but again there is a lack of depth. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing though, the reason for the Capitals lack of depth is the number of young players who have surpassed my 50 game limit and are no longer considered prospects. The Caps have a number of good young players like Karl Alzner, John Carlson, Nicklas Backstrom, Dmitri Orlov, Marcus Johanssen, Braden Holtby and others making impacts at the NHL level. When that happens, and so many young players make the big squad early, its not a bad thing for the NHL team, but it makes the prospect pool lack depth as a result. Caps fans shouldn’t be too concerned about the future of the team, even if they land a lower spot in the final team rankings.

Liberati0n*

I stopped reading where you said Kuznetsov was a center.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Someone either needs to re-evaluate their concept of depth or know Washington's system better.

Liberati0n*

Also Backstrom is 25 and has been an NHL player for 6 years, and you misspelled Johansson's name. (I only read the paragraph you posted here.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad