Prospect Info: Top Shelf Prospects Reviews the Avalanche

Akipa

Jul 19, 2012
Last edited:

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Good read, I'm just not into ranking guys as prospects when they're either clearly going to be at the NHL level or have had significant time there and ended there.

I know it takes a certain amount of games for them to graduate from prospect status though.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What you said about Siemens is Pejorative Slured.

This, and automatically graduating Elliott from prospect status, while evaluating Barrie as a prospect is also Pejorative Slured.

The people writing these articles are not robots, so there is no real excuse. I don't really care what the number of games played is, Barrie has established himself as a starter and Elliot hasn't.

Also a huge ****ing lack of research and general follow of the hype machine when talking about Siemens.

Yes his point totals have dropped, but that team has also gotten some very good offensive defenders at the same time. Siemens has always been a defensive D prospect. So how about a more in depth look at why his offensive totals have dropped?

Laying this failure tag out, while not talking about how much hes improved defensively as a major key is weak.

The comment about the Memorial Cup was more of the same BS, because anyone that actually ****ing watched it knows that Duncan Siemens was the only defender in the entire tournament who was able to shut down Mackinnon and Drouin. Something not even everyone's love child, Seth Jones could even come close to doing.

But hey... He hasn't lived up.

Classic shotgun approach, look up some stats, vomit some general blah into a blog and call it an informed write up. Weak...

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Classic shotgun approach, look up some stats, vomit some general blah into a blog and call it an informed write up. Weak...

For this reason I'm getting real tired of the outside (and even local media's) dismissive perception of "oh the Avs defense is ****, so they shouldn't bother thinking of winning any time soon".

But I digress...

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I feel like you confused Barrie with Elliott. You also appear to have the same lack of knowledge as most people on Siemens.

But really, the biggest laugh is when you said we haven't made the playoffs since 2008. Amateur article is putting it lightly.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
CLO at LWOS. Tweets on sports. Fan of Habs, Bills, StL Cardinals, Fighting Irish, AC Milan, Tottenham Hotspur. Alumni Queen's and McMaster.

Hmm, well considering he follows every sport, fan of an East team and is in Canada, the article makes perfect sense.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Eh cut him some slack. We did take Siemens in hope that his offense would continue to improve. It really hasn't. His defense has IMO. He looked great in the memorial cup.

I think at 11 you're probably trying to grab a guy that will be at least very good in all zones. We may end up with just a shutdown guy. That's fine, as long as he can be a great one.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Great find in the super sleeper prospect Sgarbossa. I hadn't heard of his name other than when it was on the board in the Pepsi Center.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Eh cut him some slack. We did take Siemens in hope that his offense would continue to improve. It really hasn't. His defense has IMO. He looked great in the memorial cup.

I think at 11 you're probably trying to grab a guy that will be at least very good in all zones. We may end up with just a shutdown guy. That's fine, as long as he can be a great one.

Honestly, I could accept a poor scouting report... but he didn't even do his basic homework on the team when he said we haven't made the playoffs since 2008.

:shakehead

DarioinDenver

Jun 19, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site

No one said Siemens' offense needed to improve. His "regression" in points is for several reasons. Not until this season was he put on the first pairing, facing the other team's top line. Previously he was paired with Elliott on essentially their second pairing and did some limited PP time with Elliott. This season he took all the PK time with little PP time. In the Mem cup he was double-shifting on the PK. His shot is mediocre at best, it's never been more than that and it's never been advertised to be better than that.

He wasn't stripped of the C due to his drop in production, that's just goofy journalism.

Siemen's IS good in all zones, he's just excellent in transition defense and in his OWN zone. How the Hell would you scout Adam Foote or Ken Daneyko?

I see how and where the author makes his conclusions but he's doing it with web searches and looking at stat sheets. Most of that I can understand to a certain extent. I can see how that can happen in the prospect / web write up business when you're covering three junior leagues, NCAA and International prospects. What I can't understand is the Memorial Cup commentary, that's nationally televised and easily reviewable. I don't understand those conclusions at all.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
No one said Siemens' offense needed to improve. His "regression" in points is for several reasons. Not until this season was he put on the first pairing, facing the other team's top line. Previously he was paired with Elliott on essentially their second pairing and did some limited PP time with Elliott. This season he took all the PK time with little PP time. In the Mem cup he was double-shifting on the PK. His shot is mediocre at best, it's never been more than that and it's never been advertised to be better than that.

He wasn't stripped of the C due to his drop in production, that's just goofy journalism.

Siemen's IS good in all zones, he's just excellent in transition defense and in his OWN zone. How the Hell would you scout Adam Foote or Ken Daneyko?

I see how and where the author makes his conclusions but he's doing it with web searches and looking at stat sheets. Most of that I can understand to a certain extent. I can see how that can happen in the prospect / web write up business when you're covering three junior leagues, NCAA and International prospects. What I can't understand is the Memorial Cup commentary, that's nationally televised and easily reviewable. I don't understand those conclusions at all.

It's called not really giving a ****, and having to write an article to fill white space.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Personally I wouldn't mind if Siemens turns out Foote2. :yo:

That's actually more of what we should expect. I really don't understand the continuous talk about his offensive game.

When he was drafted, I don't really remember a lot of talk that he was expected to develop some sort of significant offensive game.

If he can wreak havoc in the defensive zone, and face the toughest competition every night and be successful. I'd say he's lived up to his billing.

The NHL has become far to enamored with offensive defenders, and completely forgotten at times how valuable a guy like Foote can be.

Take Girardi for example, hes a rock solid defensive defender, and makes the sacrifices needed for his team. However no one talks about guys like that nearly as much.

The Norris Trophy is a joke every year now. ****ing Karlsson & Subban winning it over guys like Chara and Suter is pathetic.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Great find in the super sleeper prospect Sgarbossa. I hadn't heard of his name other than when it was on the board in the Pepsi Center.

Sgarbossa was stuck behind older kids on his first OHL team and was not able to show his talent. He was traded to a team where he got to be the first line center and his game exploded, and he was able to translate his game to the AHL level. When he played for the Avs last season Sacco had him centering the 4th line, which is not a place Sgarbossa can excel. While he will likely be in Cleveland again, he's in line to be the first call-up in the event of an injury to a top 9 forward.

I credit Pracey for insisting he be included in the trade that brought us Jamie McGinn, just seems like the kind of player Pracey would have his eyes on.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Sgarbossa was stuck behind older kids on his first OHL team and was not able to show his talent. He was traded to a team where he got to be the first line center and his game exploded, and he was able to translate his game to the AHL level. When he played for the Avs last season Sacco had him centering the 4th line, which is not a place Sgarbossa can excel. While he will likely be in Cleveland again, he's in line to be the first call-up in the event of an injury to a top 9 forward.

I credit Pracey for insisting he be included in the trade that brought us Jamie McGinn, just seems like the kind of player Pracey would have his eyes on.

Pretty certain Bonzai was being sarcastic. It's a little stupid to call a player a "super sleeper" when he's 21 and already seen time in the NHL.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Some of that stuff about Siemens is way off.

1. He wasn't "stripped of his captaincy" due to a slow start in 2012-13. That had nothing to do with it, as the change was made before the season even started.

2. Pretty hard to say that Dietz was the more important D on the Blades. They're different, but equally important.

3. The team around him hasn't gotten stronger every year. The Blades had 115 points in his draft year (top spot in the WHL), which is much more than either of the past 2 seasons.

4. His passing isn't as strong as the article would lead you to believe.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Some of that stuff about Siemens is way off.

1. He wasn't "stripped of his captaincy" due to a slow start in 2012-13. That had nothing to do with it, as the change was made before the season even started.

2. Pretty hard to say that Dietz was the more important D on the Blades. They're different, but equally important.

3. The team around him hasn't gotten stronger every year. The Blades had 115 points in his draft year (top spot in the WHL), which is much more than either of the past 2 seasons.

4. His passing isn't as strong as the article would lead you to believe.

In RS we trust ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->