Top Shelf Prospects 2018 Philadelphia Flyers

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I just brielfy skipped over the text but in general they provide a pretty unbiased ranking.

Nothing really new but at least no obvious bullshit. Most notable difference: they have Adam Ginning round out the top-10 which in my opinion seems to be closer to the truth than the poll we are currently having on this message board.

Reactions: LastWordArmy

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Too high on Ginning, who is a very low ceiling player, but otherwise solid.

Not sure how low a ceiling an 18 year old player in the SHL actually has, just because Hagg flatlined, doesn't mean Ginning will, he's a decent passer with a good shot, has enough skating ability to be coached up, will have excellent size and reach. There's still a big role for big mobile defensive defensemen in the NHL.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Not sure how low a ceiling an 18 year old player in the SHL actually has, just because Hagg flatlined, doesn't mean Ginning will, he's a decent passer with a good shot, has enough skating ability to be coached up, will have excellent size and reach. There's still a big role for big mobile defensive defensemen in the NHL.

Mobile to me implies that his skating is a plus, but it really is just average. His skating shouldn't hold him back, but calling him a big "mobile" defensive defenseman is probably a little inaccurate. Sanheim and Myers are big mobile defenseman, Ginning is just big. He doesn't think the game quick enough. His passing is decent, but his shot isn't actually very good. The strength is there, but the wind-up is fairly long. His puck skills in general are pretty deficient. For Ginning to have more than solid bottom-pair potential he needs to do more than just consistently improve, he needs to have some exponential jumps. There is nothing wrong with Ginning having limited upside. If he reaches his realistic potential he can still be a valuable piece to the team.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Hagg flatlined

I get the criticism of Hagg, I really do, but young players can rebound. Sometimes they are guilty of playing to what makes them comfortable when the heat is on, which can cause poor play. I hope he'll settle in more, flash more talent.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile to me implies that his skating is a plus, but it really is just average. His skating shouldn't hold him back, but calling him a big "mobile" defensive defenseman is probably a little inaccurate. Sanheim and Myers are big mobile defenseman, Ginning is just big. He doesn't think the game quick enough. His passing is decent, but his shot isn't actually very good. The strength is there, but the wind-up is fairly long. His puck skills in general are pretty deficient. For Ginning to have more than solid bottom-pair potential he needs to do more than just consistently improve, he needs to have some exponential jumps. There is nothing wrong with Ginning having limited upside. If he reaches his realistic potential he can still be a valuable piece to the team.
Eh, at that spot in the rankings he’s competing with guys like Vorobyov & Rubtsov & NAK, who project as role players in the NHL, so I don’t see the big deal in preferring one over the others. He’s right in that tier, with possible better potential NHL value since he plays D & is only 18. Potentially more room for improvement.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
It's not a bad read has some of the old mixed in with a few new things , rankings are not a disaster although i thought Lindblom was a Flyer not a prospect .

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
It's not a bad read has some of the old mixed in with a few new things , rankings are not a disaster although i thought Lindblom was a Flyer not a prospect .

In the intro we mention that under 50 games and under 25 years old is still considered a prospect.

This is to set a brightline rule that we will use when we compare teams prospect pools. There needs to be some sort of clear definition of who counts and who doesn't.

Reactions: wasup and Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
In the intro we mention that under 50 games and under 25 years old is still considered a prospect.

This is to set a brightline rule that we will use when we compare teams prospect pools. There needs to be some sort of clear definition of who counts and who doesn't.

Seems like a fair parameter. Lindblom is still technically a rookie heading into the 18-19 season too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad