Top Shelf Prospects: 2018 Arizona Coyotes

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Merkley over POJ is interesting, where do you see Merkley playing long term?

Westerlund has never stood out at prospect camp, I'm surprised to see him on the list at all, and especially over Bahl.

How close were Jenik and Kirk to being on the list?

Reactions: LastWordArmy

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Merkley over POJ is interesting, where do you see Merkley playing long term?

Westerlund has never stood out at prospect camp, I'm surprised to see him on the list at all, and especially over Bahl.

How close were Jenik and Kirk to being on the list?

1) It's not a knock on Joseph. It's more an acknowledgment that Merkley's season was pretty special. 20-year-old AHL rookies don't usually put up a PPG. The fact that the Coyotes have two players who did this (Strome as well) is pretty special. As for where he plays... i think he and Christian Fischer will be top 6 RWs in time, who is on what line may come down to chemistry and coaching decisions.

2) I take all summer hockey with a grain of salt, whether that is prospect camp, or things like the World Junior Showcase. I've seen players struggle at these events and have huge seasons. I've seen others dominate and go onto struggle. Off-season is about training and getting ready for next season, not maximizing performance in these events. We don't know what is going on behind the scenes (who had injuries that hampered their off-season training and are still working through it, what stage are they at in off-season training, what are they working on and what is the schedule for when the work is going to peak)

3) Jenik would have been behind Dauphin, Hill, and Mermis who were considerations at 9. After that would be where I'd consider him (but haven't really thought about ranking him against the remainder)

4) Kirk is not close to the top 10. He's just an interesting prospect since he is British Born and Trained. Like all 7th rounders, lets see where he goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->