Prospect Info: Top Sabres Prospects

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I'm just going to wonder out loud why Davidsson getting the 10th most points on his team as a 19yo gets this fanbase far more excited than Nylander getting the 7th most points on his team as an 18yo. Both in professional leagues. Both against full grown male opponents.

Kind of reeks of being a double standard.

Not really though, Nylander is well above Davidsson on this list.

The commentary from people on social media is just that Nylander is about below expectations for a top 10 pick, and Davidsson is outperforming expectations for where he was drafted. But none of that changes the fact that the vast, vast majority of people ranking prospects would still have Nylander ahead of him in terms of value, potential, etc...

Reactions: TheStorm

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Not really though, Nylander is well above Davidsson on this list.

The commentary from people on social media is just that Nylander is about below expectations for a top 10 pick, and Davidsson is outperforming expectations for where he was drafted. But none of that changes the fact that the vast, vast majority of people ranking prospects would still have Nylander ahead of him in terms of value, potential, etc...

I have Nylander above him as well, but Davidsson's eNHL production is better, and Davidsson is 8 months younger, not the other way around.

Reactions: LastWordArmy

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I've noticed that other team boards are ranking their prospects. I think we have so many prospects we can do a top 30 prospects list. I'm sure after the first 2 prospects there will lots of debate.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I've noticed that other team boards are ranking their prospects. I think we have so many prospects we can do a top 30 prospects list. I'm sure after the first 2 prospects there will lots of debate.
I agree. Is it time yet? Don’t we usually wait until training camp starts?

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Like in the league, or on the team? Or are you saying we only have two top D prospects? Also, define "top".

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
In goal, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen was an excellent pick in 2017 and has high-end potential. He is several years away but provides some insurance if Ullmark does not have a strong transition to the NHL.

Hahahahha. okokok stop it now, its too much. Excellent pick?????????????????????????????? Dont Dont get me wrong, was advocating to use that pick on a goalie but when you have a choice between UPL and DiPietro and you end up with UPL who cant stop a puck to save his lufe, this is not an excellent pick.

Last edited:

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
I am pretty excited about the future with this crop of prospects. To me, it seems like there are more *safe* bets in this group than we've had previously. Young guys that can contribute at the nhl level cycling into the lineup is what we've been sorely missing the last 8-10 years.

I get especially excited when I think about having 3 firsts next year. If you look at the NYR draft this year and see what was available for them and think of adding 3 of those prospects to our current group it's tough too not get pumped. Our 3 firsts next year are likely to be in comparable positions. I think we'll be better next year with our improved depth but don't see us being able to compete for a playoff spot. I'm thinking the 8-12 range. While St Louis and SJ are likely mid to late 20's. While I pretty much disagree with each of the NYR selections, The prospects that were on the board in those positions were tremendous. Imagine adding an equivalent prospect to Dobson, Sandin and Veleno (my top picks that were on the board when NYR picked)..... We're going to have some serious depth if our scouting department is remotely decent.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
In goal, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen was an excellent pick in 2017 and has high-end potential. He is several years away but provides some insurance if Ullmark does not have a strong transition to the NHL.

Hahahahha. okokok stop it now, its too much. Excellent pick?????????????????????????????? Dont Dont get me wrong, was advocating to use that pick on a goalie but when you have a choice between UPL and DiPietro and you end up with UPL who cant stop a puck to save his lufe, this is not an excellent pick.

Still early to laugh at someone’s subjective opinion of a pick.

Reactions: jc17

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC

Are you seriously gonna give a final judgement call on a goalie prospect that's only 19???

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

You do know that UPL was the top rated European goaltender in that draft, right?

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
And that makes it an excellent pick when the kid clearly is not very good? oK

Damn man. Lighten up a bit. He's a 19 year old goalie. I'll give him another 5 years to determine whether or not he's good. Did you never hear that goalies take the longest to develop. Tim Thomas ring a bell?

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo

UPL is a superior prospect to Dipietro and has much better size

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

We’ve already established you don’t know much about goaltending. That was by your own admission, so this isn’t poster bashing.

Goalies rarely show NHL level of play until their early 20s. I coach goalies. A 19 year old isn’t even close to fully developed.

UPL was a good pick and doing just fine.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

It’s not even that you have your opinion, it’s just that your post was so unwarranted in its level of obnoxiousness and rudeness. But unfortunately me saying this is more likely to be frowned up than your post so carry on.

Last edited:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Wheeler: The Top 50 drafted NHL prospects ranking, 2018...

1. Rasmus Dahlin, LHD, 18 (Buffalo Sabres — 1st overall, 2018)

This wasn’t up for debate. As good as the trio of players who follow him on this list really are, I believe Dahlin has the ability to become the best defenceman in the world, taking the mantle from Erik Karlsson in the process. I don’t love the term ‘generational talent’ but that would make him one. Dahlin can break a game open offensively as a shooter, passer, and handler, and he can impact it at a high level defensively (a newer development) with his gap control and an emerging physical game. Dahlin has some of the best puck skills I’ve ever seen for a player his age, let alone a defenceman. His game will take him as far as he wants it to. For more on what makes Dahlin so special, read my stylistic breakdown of his game here.

4. Casey Mittelstadt, C, 19 (Buffalo Sabres — 8th overall, 2017)

Casey Mittelstadt is that rare mix of already-incredibly-talented and yet still super, super raw. I rarely leave a viewing in awe of young players anymore, but I remember feeling that way after watching Mittelstadt play in the 2016-2017 All-American Prospects Game at the start of his draft year. He was, in a game with players like Kailer Yamamoto and Jason Robertson, peerless. And he has just exploded ever since. Today, he’s more of a playmaker than a passer. There are spurts in games where he looks like he can create scoring chances at will and we got a brief taste of that in his end-of-year stint with the Sabres. He’s going to be a terror at the NHL level within a year or two.

This is from The Athletic.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Pettersson and Svechnikov were #3 and 4 for those who are curious. It feels nice knowing we picked a player outside of the Top 5 that's immediately panning out as a potential star. That rarely seems to happen.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Wheeler: The Top 50 drafted NHL prospects ranking, 2018...

1. Rasmus Dahlin, LHD, 18 (Buffalo Sabres — 1st overall, 2018)

This wasn’t up for debate. As good as the trio of players who follow him on this list really are, I believe Dahlin has the ability to become the best defenceman in the world, taking the mantle from Erik Karlsson in the process. I don’t love the term ‘generational talent’ but that would make him one. Dahlin can break a game open offensively as a shooter, passer, and handler, and he can impact it at a high level defensively (a newer development) with his gap control and an emerging physical game. Dahlin has some of the best puck skills I’ve ever seen for a player his age, let alone a defenceman. His game will take him as far as he wants it to. For more on what makes Dahlin so special, read my stylistic breakdown of his game here.

4. Casey Mittelstadt, C, 19 (Buffalo Sabres — 8th overall, 2017)

Casey Mittelstadt is that rare mix of already-incredibly-talented and yet still super, super raw. I rarely leave a viewing in awe of young players anymore, but I remember feeling that way after watching Mittelstadt play in the 2016-2017 All-American Prospects Game at the start of his draft year. He was, in a game with players like Kailer Yamamoto and Jason Robertson, peerless. And he has just exploded ever since. Today, he’s more of a playmaker than a passer. There are spurts in games where he looks like he can create scoring chances at will and we got a brief taste of that in his end-of-year stint with the Sabres. He’s going to be a terror at the NHL level within a year or two.

This is from The Athletic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->