Prospect Info: Top Sabres Prospects

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Couldn't really find a general prospect thread so I decided to make one. Here's a good article on lastwordonhockey.com overviewing the Sabres top prospects. I think they have Asplund a few spots too low, but besides that they do a nice job breaking down each player's strengths and weaknesses.

The future is looking bright folks.

TSP: Top Buffalo Sabres Prospects - Last Word on Hockey

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Man, remember when there used to be a site just devoted to doing analysis and write-ups of prospects for each franchise? Organizational depth charts, rankings, prospect grades, projections, scouting reports...

I think it was called "Hockey's Future," and there used to be a picture of Dino Ciccarelli up on top.

That used to be cool. Those were the days.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Man, remember when there used to be a site just devoted to doing analysis and write-ups of prospects for each franchise? Organizational depth charts, rankings, prospect grades, projections, scouting reports...

I think it was called "Hockey's Future," and there used to be a picture of Dino Ciccarelli up on top.

:laugh:

I agree, although I think dobber has come quite a ways recently:
Dobber Prospects - Buffalo Sabres

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Couldn't really find a general prospect thread so I decided to make one. Here's a good article on lastwordonhockey.com overviewing the Sabres top prospects. I think they have Asplund a few spots too low, but besides that they do a nice job breaking down each player's strengths and weaknesses.

We are high on Asplund. On almost any other team he'd be a top 4 or 5 guy. This Sabres group is DEEP.

I mean Marcus Davidsson, one spot before Asplund, has similar stats and is a year younger and bigger.... was tough to distinguish the two. We like both, even though Asplund is coming to North America this year and Davidsson likely staying in Sweden.

If the Mods want to delete my other thread... feel free.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

The future has always looked bright for the Sabres. It’s the present that always seems to be in complete darkness.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo

oh how the mighty have fallen

the kingdom lies in ruin and it's people are split, awaiting the return of their king who is surely gone for good

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I like our prospect depth and I liked what I saw at the prospect development camp. Still, every team's fan base seems to say the same with the rose coloured glasses that THEY wear. Once our prospects play against other team's prospects we will get to see what we indeed have.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I could see Davidsson-Asplund-Thompson as a pretty killer two way line in the future

I was going to comment that even with the ROR trade we still have great center depth.

Eichel
Mitts
Reinhart
Berglund
Larsson
Asplund
Davidsson
Malone
Oglevie
O'Regan
Cornel

I think the Sabres' brass are really high on Asplund, Davidsson and Malone. One of Asplund or Davidsson may have to slide to wing. Heck, we have 3 1sts next year so one of those may end up a center.

In a couple years or sooner I can see a center-spine of Eichel, Mitts, Asplund and Malone. Speed, skill, two-way play and grit.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Where is the recent Davidsson hype coming from? Seemed like he just came off a decent season, but nothing spectacular?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Where is the recent Davidsson hype coming from? Seemed like he just came off a decent season, but nothing spectacular?

19 year old two way forward who was 10th in scoring on his men's team in the SHL, had a good post-season for Djurgardens, and played well as a third forward on Sweden's top line in the WJCs.

I'm not saying he's going to be the next coming of Forsberg. But he looks like a grittier version of Hecht to me. Great skater, physical, two way player, responsible, does all the little things, good possession player, goes to the net, plays well along the boards, tough, will scrap, and has the skills to score on a top line.

If he develops, you're looking at the future LW for either Eichel or Mittelstadt.

Reactions: Chainshot

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

It's that his season was decent playing well above where he should be playing for his age, that makes him interesting. Similiar to mlb prospects who are only decent as they play way above their expected league.

Reactions: Chainshot

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'm just going to wonder out loud why Davidsson getting the 10th most points on his team as a 19yo gets this fanbase far more excited than Nylander getting the 7th most points on his team as an 18yo. Both in professional leagues. Both against full grown male opponents.

Kind of reeks of being a double standard.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I'm just going to wonder out loud why Davidsson getting the 10th most points on his team as a 19yo gets this fanbase far more excited than Nylander getting the 7th most points on his team as an 18yo. Both in professional leagues. Both against full grown male opponents.

It kind of reeks of their being more to a prospect analysis than where they finished in team scoring.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

Nylander has the skill to do much better. Those that watched him play in Rochester saw a player coasting, not working and not engaging. Alex has so much more skill and talent than Davidsson; he should be dominating the AHL. And he was 10th on his team as a 19 year old too.

People like Marcus because he’s a complete player, with a higher floor than Alex (who may never put together the effort it takes to be a good pro), and because expectations at the time of the draft were reasonable enough that Marcus is exceeding them.

Btw, not many will rank Alex below Marcus in the next poll, so really, the buzz is about production relative to expectation, and not about the value of each prospect in a vacuum.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
We are high on Asplund. On almost any other team he'd be a top 4 or 5 guy. This Sabres group is DEEP.

I mean Marcus Davidsson, one spot before Asplund, has similar stats and is a year younger and bigger.... was tough to distinguish the two. We like both, even though Asplund is coming to North America this year and Davidsson likely staying in Sweden.

If the Mods want to delete my other thread... feel free.

Asplund at 9 was a bit of a puzzler to me. In addition to his projectable tool set, Asplund also took on a huge role for a teenager in the SHL last year, including serving as an alternate captain for his team. I like Davidsson quite a bit, but not more than Asplund. Regardless, it was a great write-up.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Asplund at 9 was a bit of a puzzler to me. In addition to his projectable tool set, Asplund also took on a huge role for a teenager in the SHL last year, including serving as an alternate captain for his team. I like Davidsson quite a bit, but not more than Asplund. Regardless, it was a great write-up.

Personally, he doesn't touch my top 6. There is a separation there between Ullmark and Samuelsson.

7, 8, 9 are razor thin margins. I could see the justification for someone else putting Asplund there, but I just thought more of Davidsson and Samuelsson. That's not a knock on Asplund, who was impressive last year. It's more a compliment to the depth of this system.

You've also got the top SHL goal scorer and he doesn't crack the top 9.

Cliff Pu is a solid prospect and he's on the outside looking in.

I'm a fan of Will Borgen as well, and he's not getting a sniff here.

Add in the fact that Dahlin is probably the best prospect in hockey. Mittlestadt is likely a top 5 prospect in the world and this is simply one of the best systems in the NHL right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->