Top Russian prospects

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Same idea as the one on the Finland board, this was made for the purpose of discussing up and coming young Russian talent. Though I don't expect the same activity as on the Finnish board, I'm hoping people will be willing to post from time to time and share opinions on certain prospects. To start off just a question, are there any good prospects in Russia who can challenge for the top 10 in the 2017 draft? The 99 age group seems to be not as talked about as the 98 or 00 age groups.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
The Big Popugayev hype is getting big: he posesses some crazy 'Size x Skating' combination, which is probably the most valuable asset in terms of draft stock nowadays, also he came over to the Dub and already started to post some good numbers there - basically that's everything NHL scouts could wish for.

There are some other good guys available for 2017 draft like Koltygin, Slepets, Ivanov, Rubinchik, Kostin, Vertiy etc., but for different reasons I doubt that we can talk about competing for Top 10 there. There is lot of time ahead though, of course.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Same idea as the one on the Finland board, this was made for the purpose of discussing up and coming young Russian talent. Though I don't expect the same activity as on the Finnish board, I'm hoping people will be willing to post from time to time and share opinions on certain prospects. To start off just a question, are there any good prospects in Russia who can challenge for the top 10 in the 2017 draft? The 99 age group seems to be not as talked about as the 98 or 00 age groups.
:laugh: i don't see it, it'd be great if someone challenged for the first round.
btw, didn't see him but slepets has a nice stats playing for the u18 team in the mhl. he seems to be the only one from his age group who made that jump

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Yeah, Popugaev is definitely a candidate for the 2017 top 5. He has 11 points in 6 games in the WHL. And he is a big man who can skate - very projectible.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Yeah, Popugaev is definitely a candidate for the 2017 top 5. He has 11 points in 6 games in the WHL. And he is a big man who can skate - very projectible.

He's also playing with one of the best centers in the WHL/CHL I believe in Point. Many top CHL centers can turn average offensive players into ppg players or 30-40 goal scorers. Not saying Popugaev doesn't have skill but it's something to watch going forward.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
He's also playing with one of the best centers in the WHL/CHL I believe in Point. Many top CHL centers can turn average offensive players into ppg players or 30-40 goal scorers. Not saying Popugaev doesn't have skill but it's something to watch going forward.

You can look at this in at least two ways. Popugaev is definitely keeping up with Point's pace of the game, and he has earned that role at such a young age.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
You can look at this in at least two ways. Popugaev is definitely keeping up with Point's pace of the game, and he has earned that role at such a young age.

Certainly, majority of elite wingers need elite centers feeding them the puck. It's a plus he's shown an ability to finish and set up plays and gel with an elite player.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

There is a russian (in Russian obviously) board with proper insights. Some involved guys are posting there, like refs, doctors etc with youth teams who actually get to see the kids play. The most knowledgeable board I have encountered.

Here is a link to the prospects board.

http://klmfk.ru/viewforum.php?f=19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad