Top Russian Prospects from the KHL: Who's Coming Over in 2020?

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
I like Kovalenko's game and I think that if everything goes well then in a year he could possibly compete for a NHL roster spot.

As for Zhuravlyov, he is also good, but looking at his development curve I have a feeling that he won't be ready next year yet, so there would be a good chance that he will stay in the KHL for a bit more.
Thank you

Reactions: Caser

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Tryamkins season in the KHL ended today. I fully expect him to sign shortly with the Canucks. I don't believe that he can play this year, but will bring a very different dynamic to the team in camp.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Still if we look at the situation from another angle, last time I checked Prokhorkin played 4th line RW there and I'm not sure if I'd pick him over Dergachyov for that exact role.
Dergachyov is just too slow to do anything... Sure Prokhorkin doesn't fit for that role, arguably doesn't fit the NHL all that well, but Dergachyov doesn't fit high level hockey period... I honestly think he is closer to ECHL that the NHL.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Tryamkins season in the KHL ended today. I fully expect him to sign shortly with the Canucks. I don't believe that he can play this year, but will bring a very different dynamic to the team in camp.

"Shortly" though will likely be no earlier than in May, since his current contract runs until that month.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
"Shortly" though will likely be no earlier than in May, since his current contract runs until that month.
That's a month an a half. He can't play this year, so everything from here forward with Tryamkin is for next season. The Canucks will know where they stand with him well before any other roster decisions need to be made.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I think the question now is if there will be any draft at all. :) Seriously though, I was planning to make one, but in June.
Europeans are banned from entering the US for a month for now.:laugh:

If that trend continues we might have ourselves european and NA hockey isolated.

Just kidding.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Dergachyov is just too slow to do anything... Sure Prokhorkin doesn't fit for that role, arguably doesn't fit the NHL all that well, but Dergachyov doesn't fit high level hockey period... I honestly think he is closer to ECHL that the NHL.
the bolded is how I know your opinion is shit... Prokhorkin has shown a high skill set and was beginning to impose himself. The was iffy on defense but was steadily improving before the season was shut down. He has middle 6 written all over him

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
the bolded is how I know your opinion is shit... Prokhorkin has shown a high skill set and was beginning to impose himself. The was iffy on defense but was steadily improving before the season was shut down. He has middle 6 written all over him
Good for you. Calling people's opinion "shit" because you don't agree with them is totally reasonable.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Good for you. Calling people's opinion "shit" because you don't agree with them is totally reasonable.
Calling out someone who you clearly havent watched play much and then stating he's not NHL material is a shit opinion.. Giving reasons as to why you think as much would be rather informative instead of spewing your baseless bias.. Hoping you're doing more than just passing off stats as facts without considering all factors...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Calling out someone who you clearly havent watched play much and then stating he's not NHL material is a shit opinion.. Giving reasons as to why you think as much would be rather informative instead of spewing your baseless bias.. Hoping you're doing more than just passing off stats as facts without considering all factors...
Please.... Baseless bias? Against what? First one needs to have a bias to "spew it".

I wrote "arguably doesn't fit the NHL all that well". He's a soft player who prefers to take his time to make a play. That's just not how NHL operates. Hence I wrote what I wrote, no idea how does that turn into "not NHL material" in your brain. He is definitely more in his own element in Europe, that's what I meant. I even added "arguably" so that some random LA fan called kings69 or whatnot wouldn't get mad.

Reactions: barriers

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I wouldn’t completely rule out Kadeikin making the wings roster if he comes over. Not a great scorer, but his strong defensive game could fit well in the bottom 6.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Altybarmakyan's signing has arrived, although it is technically not a signing yet (since it can't be done until 1st of May), but an agreement. Still it doesn't really matter, as it is official anyway.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

In terms or players re-signing, Glotov, Chebykin and Bobylyov have extended with their KHL teams for 2 more seasons, also Konstantin Volkov is staying in the VHL for 1 more year.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Why is that?
Because for whatever reason this guy keeps popping up in north american lists even as a top10 prospect while his play in Russia clearly suggested he is raw al f. and is constantly outplayed by other prospects too. He has some talent, but he never showed he can apply it properly on a higher level, be it KHL or NT. He needs time. Making the jump to NA right now also won't help him. He was not ready in the KHL. How playing in the AHL is going to help him then?

Again, for whatever reason NA is always high on him, too high. But that is often the case with russian prospects. NHL scouting in Russia is abysmal. They rate some players too high and some they don't notice.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I also think Denisenko should've proved himself in the KHL more before coming to NA. He should've signed for another 2-3 years in the KHL because he's not close to NHL ready. You'd rather he play in the KHL than AHL. Look what's happening with Kravtsov. Do Panthers fans want Denisenko playing 100 AHL games? I wouldn't want him to. I'd want him to develop more in his home country, become one of the best players in the KHL, and then step right into the NHL lineup in a few years. These players have started rushing over to North America before being ready. Tarasenko and Kuznetsov were first round picks, and didn't. Why did these kids? Lets hope Podkolzin doesn't either if he isn't NHL ready after next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad