Top Russian Prospects from the KHL: Who's Coming Over in 2020?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Regular season has concluded in Russian leagues, so it might make sense to start looking at the prospects and RFAs, who might decide to move to NA this offseason. And by the offseason I mean mostly the time after the 30th of April, as the KHL has changed the rules regarding contract terminations that allowed Gavrikov and Gusev to go overseas early and burn down a year of the ELC. Although I should note that every rule has an exception, as Blackhawks' prospect Ivan Nalimov has already signed an AHL deal just couple of days ago.

Since the last year's format got a pretty good feedback, this year again I tried to make that in a form of a ranking with players ranked by a combination of the current ability/talent and probability of moving to the NHL. The aforementioned probability a very approximate thing and, obviously, estimated from my point of view, so take it with a grain of salt. And feel totally free to disagree.

Let's start then, you'll never guess who I have as my Nr.1 here...

1. W Kirill Kaprizov (NHL rights: Minnesota Wild)
Probability of signing in the NHL: 99.(9)%
Projected role next season (if signs): Top-six winger (NHL)

...oh, you guessed it somehow, that's amazing. Seriously though, as usual in the most obvious cases, there's not too much to write here aside from the obvious things: Kaprizov will be in Minnesota and is expected to be good there.

2. GK Ilya Sorokin (NHL rights: New York Islanders)
Probability of signing in the NHL: 90%
Projected role next season (if signs): 1A/1B goalie (NHL)

Pretty obvious situation with Sorokin too, the only question mark is over him Vs. Lou in terms of the contract negotiations.

3. LW Grigoriy Denisenko (NHL rights: Florida Panthers)

Probability of signing in the NHL: 85%
Projected role next season (if signs): Top-six LW (AHL)

Lets face it: Denisenko wasn't really good in the KHL: he showed flashes of his trademark skill, but his game always was lacking that maturity element required to play at that level full-time. Still he is an explosive skater, can create that offense and talks are indicating that likely he will try to fulfill that talent in NA next season.

4. LD Alexander Romanov (NHL rights: Montreal Canadiens)
Probability of signing in the NHL: 70%
Projected role next season (if signs): 3rd pairing D (NHL)

In Romanov's case the talent is there, but looking at his game I still have a feeling that it would be useful to wait something like one more year to polish it a bit. Sounds like he is going to make the jump this summer though.

5. LHD Nikita Tryamkin (NHL rights: Vancouver Canucks)

Unfortunately Tryamkin failed to make the progress that was expected from him back at the time of his return to the KHL. With that being said, we should remember that even in his first NHL stint he looked much better on the NHL ice than he did in the KHL, so there's a possibility that something good will happen this time too.

6. W Anton Slepyshev (NHL rights: Edmonton Oilers)

Probability of signing in the NHL: 65%
Projected role next season (if signs): Top-nine winger (NHL)

While being rather silent in the KHL in most of his time there, Slepyshev has been crazy good recently, showing his best hockey ever. If he can continue that way next season (especially without Kaprizov playing on his line), the Oilers could really use him. On the other hand, if he decides to wait just one more year, he will become UFA next summer, so the offer from the Oilers should be real good.

7. C/W Maxim Shalunov (NHL rights: Chicago Blackhawks)
Probability of signing in the NHL: 55%
Projected role next season (if signs): Middle-six winger (NHL)

If you like to use the "enigmatic Russian" narrative, Shalunov gives a good opportunity for that: some solid offensive talent, a lot of ups and downs during the course of his career, unclear projection to the NHL game with further plans unclear too. With that being said, I have a feeling that he would like to give it another try in NA.

8. LW Andrei Altybarmakyan (NHL rights: Chicago Blackhawks)
Projected role next season (if signs): Top-six winger (AHL)

While showing off some intriguing pieces of attacking skillset, Altybarmakyan failed to actually become an undisputed full-time KHLer, not even talking about properly producing at that level, although I'd say there was some progress this season. Recent reports are suggesting that he is seriously considering crossing the pond this summer, not sure if that's a great idea at this point though.

9. RW/C Alexander Dergachyov (NHL rights: Los Angeles Kings)
Probability of signing in the NHL: 60%
Projected role next season (if signs): Bottom-six winger (NHL or AHL)

Dergachyov found himself to be totally stuck on a 4th line role in the KHL in the recent years, so the common sense is telling me that somekind of a restart might be pretty useful. On a positive side, looking at his game, he is a quality role player and I kind of can't think why he couldn't successfully do the same stuff on the 4th line in the NHL.

10. RW Arsen Khisamutdinov (NHL rights: Montreal Canadiens)
Probability of signing in the NHL: 75%
Projected role next season (if signs): Middle-six winger (AHL)

Already at the draft there were talks that Khisamutdinov is willing to join the Canadiens organization as soon as possible, so likely this moment is now. Similarly already back then there were questions about what he can actually bring to the table and those are still being asked.

11. LD Dmitriy Semykin (NHL rights: Tampa Bay Lightning)
Projected role next season (if signs): D in the ECHL/ AHL

Semykin is a physical beast, who is still stuck in the juniors. I don't think this situation is something he enjoys, so the jump to NA seems very probable to me, maybe Lightning organization's coaches can do something good with his natural giftedness.

12. C/W Alexander Kadeikin (NHL rights: Detroit Red Wings)
Probability of signing in the NHL: 45%
Projected role next season (if signs): Middle-six forward (AHL)

At this point likely only the real diehard Red Wings fans can remember who Kadeikin is, but he has finally found his game as a quality two-way guy in the KHL. Considering that the Red Wings are in a position, where all the assets possible (that are not named Evgeny Svechnikov) could be useful, it might be beneficial for both sides to at least consider that opportunity.

13. W Timur Ibragimov (NHL rights: San Jose Sharks)
Projected role next season (if signs): Middle-six winger (ECHL/AHL)

Considering Ibragimov isn't likely to get a lot of opportunities in the SKA organization and that the Barracuda team has quite a lot of Russians, I'd say that the move is pretty possible. Not sure what will be the impact of that and if it can be at least at the AHL level.

14. C/W Pavel Kraskovskiy (NHL rights: Winnipeg Jets)
Probability of signing in the NHL: 50%
Projected role next season (if signs): Bottom-six center (AHL)

Kraskovskiy's development hit the wall couple of years ago and hasn't recovered since then. Depending on what he wants to do with his career, there might be an option to go to NA, as an opportunity for a restart. He still got the size and still can play some two-way game, maybe something good can be made out of that.

15. W Semyon Kizimov (NHL rights: Toronto Maple Leafs)
Probability of signing in the NHL: 35%
Projected role next season (if signs): Bottom-six winger (AHL)

Kizimov's career is kind of in limbo now: he is not contracted to any KHL organization, also not having a big role and a lot of progress with Lada in the VHL. Moving to NA might be an option in this situation, but I doubt he will do that at least at this point.

16. W Kirill Tyutyayev (NHL rights: Detroit Red Wings)
Probability of signing in the NHL: 30%
Projected role next season (if signs): Top-nine winger (AHL)

It doesn't make any sense for Tyutyayev to cross the pond at the moment when he has recovered from an injury and his development is trending up (and therefore it would be a good idea to continue that), but the Red Wings are badly in need of someone in their system, who can play hockey (and is not named Evgeny Svechnikov), so there's a possibility.

17. C/W Vasiliy Glotov (NHL rights: Buffalo Sabres)

Probability of signing in the NHL: 10%

Glotov has just started restarting his career in the KHL this season, so it makes no sense for him to return to NA now, still I will list him here just to remind the Sabres fans that he still exists.

18. RW Nikolai Chebykin (NHL rights: Toronto Maple Leafs)
Probability of signing in the NHL: 5%
Projected role next season (if signs): Bottom-six winger (ECHL)

19. W/C Vladimir Bobylyov (NHL rights: Toronto Maple Leafs)
Projected role next season (if signs): Bottom-six forward (ECHL)

20. GK Konstantin Volkov (NHL rights: Nashville Predators)
Projected role next season (if signs): 1A/1B goalie (ECHL)

Chebykin, Bobylyov and Volkov are pretty much VHL-ers now, so the chance they sign with their NHL organizations is almost non-existent, but let's not forget that they are still rather young and still have time to prove everybody wrong.

While I acknowledge that there are some other guys, whose rights belong to NHL organizations with expiring KHL contracts like Chudinov, Vasilyev, Galimov etc., I decided not to list them, as the probability that they will move is just not there, as they are established players and look happy where they are (and they totally have a right to be that way). Similarly, players, who are currently RFAs, but will be UFA at the 1st of July, 2020 are not listed, I think there's no need to explain why.

As usual, any kind of feedback and questions are welcome.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
As someone with Slepyshev and Shalunov in my fantasy pool, your odds give me hope...

Shalunov hasn't progressed a lot in the KHL, so I doubt, he'll find himself in the NHL. Slepyshev, on the other side, is kinda intriguing. Of course, it can be just a fluke of a season for him. I don't rule out a situation, he's found his game at last, the same way as Nichushkin, though.

Reactions: EnglishJet

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Regular season has concluded in Russian leagues, so it might make sense to start looking at the prospects and RFAs, who might decide to move to NA this offseason. And by the offseason I mean mostly the time after the 30th of April, as the KHL has changed the rules regarding contract terminations that allowed Gavrikov and Gusev to go overseas early and burn down a year of the ELC. Although I should note that every rule has an exception, as Blackhawks' prospect Ivan Nalimov has already signed an AHL deal just couple of days ago.

Since the last year's format got a pretty good feedback, this year again I tried to make that in a form of a ranking with players ranked by a combination of the current ability/talent and probability of moving to the NHL. The aforementioned probability a very approximate thing and, obviously, estimated from my point of view, so take it with a grain of salt. And feel totally free to disagree.

Let's start then, you'll never guess who I have as my Nr.1 here...

1. W Kirill Kaprizov (NHL rights: Minnesota Wild)
Probability of signing in the NHL: 99.(9)%
Projected role next season (if signs): Top-six winger (NHL)

...oh, you guessed it somehow, that's amazing. Seriously though, as usual in the most obvious cases, there's not too much to write here aside from the obvious things: Kaprizov will be in Minnesota and is expected to be good there.

2. GK Ilya Sorokin (NHL rights: New York Islanders)
Projected role next season (if signs): 1A/1B goalie (NHL)

Pretty obvious situation with Sorokin too, the only question mark is over him Vs. Lou in terms of the contract negotiations.

3. LW Grigoriy Denisenko (NHL rights: Florida Panthers)

Probability of signing in the NHL: 85%
Projected role next season (if signs): Top-six LW (AHL)

Lets face it: Denisenko wasn't really good in the KHL: he showed flashes of his trademark skill, but his game always was lacking that maturity element required to play at that level full-time. Still he is an explosive skater, can create that offense and talks are indicating that likely he will try to fulfill that talent in NA next season.

4. LD Alexander Romanov (NHL rights: Montreal Canadiens)

In Romanov's case the talent is there, but looking at his game I still have a feeling that it would be useful to wait something like one more year to polish it a bit. Sounds like he is going to make the jump this summer though.

5. LHD Nikita Tryamkin (NHL rights: Vancouver Canucks)

Unfortunately Tryamkin failed to make the progress that was expected from him back at the time of his return to the KHL. With that being said, we should remember that even in his first NHL stint he looked much better on the NHL ice than he did in the KHL, so there's a possibility that something good will happen this time too.

6. W Anton Slepyshev (NHL rights: Edmonton Oilers)

Probability of signing in the NHL: 65%
Projected role next season (if signs): Top-nine winger (NHL)

While being rather silent in the KHL in most of his time there, Slepyshev has been crazy good recently, showing his best hockey ever. If he can continue that way next season (especially without Kaprizov playing on his line), the Oilers could really use him. On the other hand, if he decides to wait just one more year, he will become UFA next summer, so the offer from the Oilers should be real good.

7. C/W Maxim Shalunov (NHL rights: Chicago Blackhawks)
Projected role next season (if signs): Middle-six winger (NHL)

If you like to use the "enigmatic Russian" narrative, Shalunov gives a good opportunity for that: some solid offensive talent, a lot of ups and downs during the course of his career, unclear projection to the NHL game with further plans unclear too. With that being said, I have a feeling that he would like to give it another try in NA.

8. LW Andrei Altybarmakyan (NHL rights: Chicago Blackhawks)
Projected role next season (if signs): Top-six winger (AHL)

While showing off some intriguing pieces of attacking skillset, Altybarmakyan failed to actually become an undisputed full-time KHLer, not even talking about properly producing at that level, although I'd say there was some progress this season. Recent reports are suggesting that he is seriously considering crossing the pond this summer, not sure if that's a great idea at this point though.

9. RW/C Alexander Dergachyov (NHL rights: Los Angeles Kings)
Probability of signing in the NHL: 60%
Projected role next season (if signs): Bottom-six winger (NHL or AHL)

Dergachyov found himself to be totally stuck on a 4th line role in the KHL in the recent years, so the common sense is telling me that somekind of a restart might be pretty useful. On a positive side, looking at his game, he is a quality role player and I kind of can't think why he couldn't successfully do the same stuff on the 4th line in the NHL.

10. RW Arsen Khisamutdinov (NHL rights: Montreal Canadiens)
Probability of signing in the NHL: 75%
Projected role next season (if signs): Middle-six winger (AHL)

Already at the draft there were talks that Khisamutdinov is willing to join the Canadiens organization as soon as possible, so likely this moment is now. Similarly already back then there were questions about what he can actually bring to the table and those are still being asked.

11. LD Dmitriy Semykin (NHL rights: Tampa Bay Lightning)
Projected role next season (if signs): D in the ECHL/ AHL

Semykin is a physical beast, who is still stuck in the juniors. I don't think this situation is something he enjoys, so the jump to NA seems very probable to me, maybe Lightning organization's coaches can do something good with his natural giftedness.

12. C/W Alexander Kadeikin (NHL rights: Detroit Red Wings)
Probability of signing in the NHL: 45%

At this point likely only the real diehard Red Wings fans can remember who Kadeikin is, but he has finally found his game as a quality two-way guy in the KHL. Considering that the Red Wings are in a position, where all the assets possible (that are not named Evgeny Svechnikov) could be useful, it might be beneficial for both sides to at least consider that opportunity.

13. W Timur Ibragimov (NHL rights: San Jose Sharks)
Projected role next season (if signs): Middle-six winger (ECHL/AHL)

Considering Ibragimov isn't likely to get a lot of opportunities in the SKA organization and that the Barracuda team has quite a lot of Russians, I'd say that the move is pretty possible. Not sure what will be the impact of that and if it can be at least at the AHL level.

14. C/W Pavel Kraskovskiy (NHL rights: Winnipeg Jets)
Probability of signing in the NHL: 50%
Projected role next season (if signs): Bottom-six center (AHL)

Kraskovskiy's development hit the wall couple of years ago and hasn't recovered since then. Depending on what he wants to do with his career, there might be an option to go to NA, as an opportunity for a restart. He still got the size and still can play some two-way game, maybe something good can be made out of that.

15. W Semyon Kizimov (NHL rights: Toronto Maple Leafs)
Probability of signing in the NHL: 35%
Projected role next season (if signs): Bottom-six winger (AHL)

Kizimov's career is kind of in limbo now: he is not contracted to any KHL organization, also not having a big role and a lot of progress with Lada in the VHL. Moving to NA might be an option in this situation, but I doubt he will do that at least at this point.

16. W Kirill Tyutyayev (NHL rights: Detroit Red Wings)
Probability of signing in the NHL: 30%
Projected role next season (if signs): Top-nine winger (AHL)

It doesn't make any sense for Tyutyayev to cross the pond at the moment when he has recovered from an injury and his development is trending up (and therefore it would be a good idea to continue that), but the Red Wings are badly in need of someone in their system, who can play hockey (and is not named Evgeny Svechnikov), so there's a possibility.

17. C/W Vasiliy Glotov (NHL rights: Buffalo Sabres)

Probability of signing in the NHL: 10%

Glotov has just started restarting his career in the KHL this season, so it makes no sense for him to return to NA now, still I will list him here just to remind the Sabres fans that he still exists.

18. RW Nikolai Chebykin (NHL rights: Toronto Maple Leafs)
Projected role next season (if signs): Bottom-six winger (ECHL)

19. W/C Vladimir Bobylyov (NHL rights: Toronto Maple Leafs)
Projected role next season (if signs): Bottom-six forward (ECHL)

20. GK Konstantin Volkov (NHL rights: Nashville Predators)
Projected role next season (if signs): 1A/1B goalie (ECHL)

Chebykin, Bobylyov and Volkov are pretty much VHL-ers now, so the chance they sign with their NHL organizations is almost non-existent, but let's not forget that they are still rather young and still have time to prove everybody wrong.

While I acknowledge that there are some other guys, whose rights belong to NHL organizations with expiring KHL contracts like Chudinov, Vasilyev, Galimov etc., I decided not to list them, as the probability that they will move is just not there, as they are established players and look happy where they are (and they totally have a right to be that way). Similarly, players, who are currently RFAs, but will be UFA at the 1st of July, 2020 are not listed, I think there's no need to explain why.

As usual, any kind of feedback and questions are welcome.
Any chance or idea when Bulat Shafigullin comes over? Would love the Kings to bring him over and get quality time/development in Ontario... and also workout in El Segundo over the summer to add some much needed bulk.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Any chance or idea when Bulat Shafigullin comes over? Would love the Kings to bring him over and get quality time/development in Ontario... and also workout in El Segundo over the summer to add some much needed bulk.

Shafigullin has one more year on his current contract. As for the workout, he is not that skinny - 179 lbs is fine for his age and body type, he should be able to gain more without any issues as the time goes. Staying healthy is much more important though.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Shafigullin has one more year on his current contract. As for the workout, he is not that skinny - 179 lbs is fine for his age and body type, he should be able to gain more without any issues as the time goes. Staying healthy is much more important though.
Does he have a desire to come over after? I haven't heard any rumors on his part, do you have any info you can share?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Does he have a desire to come over after? I haven't heard any rumors on his part, do you have any info you can share?

Well, you know, it's not like all those prospects are screaming at every corner that they want to go to the NHL, basically the only thing you'll ever hear even from the top prospects is a diplomatic "It is a dream, but all my thoughts are with my current team". So usually all you have to rely on here is the indirect stuff or rumors - in case of Shafigulllin Mike Futa was in Russia in November to watch him, so I doubt that he would go if there wouldn't be any kind of contacts with him or his representatives.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Well, you know, it's not like all those prospects are screaming at every corner that they want to go to the NHL, basically the only thing you'll ever hear even from the top prospects is a diplomatic "It is a dream, but all my thoughts are with my current team". So usually all you have to rely on here is the indirect stuff or rumors - in case of Shafigulllin Mike Futa was in Russia in November to watch him, so I doubt that he would go if there wouldn't be any kind of contacts with him or his representatives.
The kid has the type of talent the Kings need and would love to get him over here ASAP!

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I thought people were talking about Zub coming over next season?

And is not Barabanov contract over this season?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I think this list is for drafted Russians who might come over. I vaguely recall Caser will have a separate list for potential free agents like Zub/Barabanov.

Reactions: EXTRAS

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
From an Oiler's perspective.. imagine of both Jesse P and Shlep would rather hold out in Europe (I think someone said Shlep will be UFA in one more year) than join the Oil. I'd love Shlep back in bottom 6! Maybe even Top 6 as we have 2 spots that don't seem to be being taken outright by anyone.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I really don't see Shalunov playing in the NHL anymore... Even less so as a wing which is something he hasn't done in 5 years and arguably lessens his best qualities.

Dergachyov is another one where realistically, Kings should probably just no sign at all.

Altybarmakyan and Romanov should just stay in the K at this point.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

I think this list is for drafted Russians who might come over. I vaguely recall Caser will have a separate list for potential free agents like Zub/Barabanov.

Exactly, as UFAs are a totally different case, it is not easy for me to mix them up in one. Still I hope I will make a separate write-up on those in a month or so (although I think it will be better to post in in the "Trade" sections of the boards, as it won't really have a lot to do with prospects)
Kayumov just re signed for 2 more years, but any comments on his game @Caser

Kayumov is a good skater, but the first thing that I think of when I hear his name is shot - he really likes to shoot the puck whenever he has an opportunity and pretty frequently it results in goals. It obviously isn't a bad thing, but still makes him a bit of dependable on the linemates, as someone needs to supply him that puck.

I really don't see Shalunov playing in the NHL anymore... Even less so as a wing which is something he hasn't done in 5 years and arguably lessens his best qualities.

Dergachyov is another one where realistically, Kings should probably just no sign at all.

Altybarmakyan and Romanov should just stay in the K at this point.

Yeah, the position is also a concern to me, as I just don't see Shalunov being a C at the NHL level. As for Dergachyov, expansion is coming, which means that every asset possible might be useful (Nalimov's situation might be even a brighter example). As for the young guys, I think it would be useful, yes, but sounds like they're not staying (or it is just me having that kind of impression).

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
@Caser

I know Kovalenko and Zhuravlyov are still on contract but what do you think about futur in Avs jersey?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
@Caser

I know Kovalenko and Zhuravlyov are still on contract but what do you think about futur in Avs jersey?

I like Kovalenko's game and I think that if everything goes well then in a year he could possibly compete for a NHL roster spot.

As for Zhuravlyov, he is also good, but looking at his development curve I have a feeling that he won't be ready next year yet, so there would be a good chance that he will stay in the KHL for a bit more.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
As for Dergachyov, expansion is coming, which means that every asset possible might be useful (Nalimov's situation might be even a brighter example). As for the young guys, I think it would be useful, yes, but sounds like they're not staying (or it is just me having that kind of impression).
Yeah, in a way, there is no reason not to sign him but as far as the NHL future, I feel the evidence is pretty hard at this point it's not there.

Regarding the other two, Altybarmakyan will probably go... He is approaching prime age and his position in the KHL (money-wise) isn't that great so he has next to nothing to lose. Romanov, I think it's all just media hype about him going.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Yeah, in a way, there is no reason not to sign him but as far as the NHL future, I feel the evidence is pretty hard at this point it's not there.

Still if we look at the situation from another angle, last time I checked Prokhorkin played 4th line RW there and I'm not sure if I'd pick him over Dergachyov for that exact role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->