Top Potential UFA NCAA Prospects this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Well didnt see the article posted here, but here are the top collegiate free agents and who is "currently" interested in them.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/13844/top_collegiate_free_agents_drawing_nhl_interest/

Spencer Abbott, LW
Senior, University of Maine

Multiple teams, one known (Leafs)

J.T. Brown, RW
Sophomore, University of Minnesota-Duluth

25 NHL teams, two known (Wild and Flyers)

Jack Connolly, C
Senior, University of Minnesota-Duluth

Multiple teams, one known (Wild)

Dan DeKeyser, D
Sophomore, Western Michigan University

All 30 NHL teams, greatest interest (Leafs and Wings)

Brian Flynn, C

Several NHL teams, one known (Flyers)

Torey Krug, D
Junior, Michigan State University

Several teams made offers last season, one known (Hurricanes)

Jack MacLellan, C
Senior, Brown University

Several teams, two known (Blackhawks and Predators)

Chris Rawlings, G
Junior, Northeastern University

Several teams, three known (Jackets (made offer last season), Flyers (made offer last season) and Stars)

Jeremy Welsh, C/W
Junior, Union College

Several teams, two known (Blackhawks and Rangers)

Mark Zengerle, C
Sophomore, University of Wisconsin

More teams continue to become interested one known (Leafs)

Five others notable mentions

Hopefully the Flyers get Brown, DeKeyser, Flynn and Rawlings. As we saw with Read and his 900k one way deal, they are not shy about winning a bidding war if they believe in someone.

odhaguy

Aug 6, 2007
Read was able to ask for more because of his age. The other players are restricted to maximum amounts and all teams will be able to offer the same $$.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The thing that will hurt the Flyers is that any prospect they sign will not be able to play in the NHL til next year where as other teams can start a prospect right away for a game or two in the NHL thus burning a year of their elc. It allows the prospect to reach their second contract earlier than if they signed a tryout deal this year and elc starting next season.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
The thing that will hurt the Flyers is that any prospect they sign will not be able to play in the NHL til next year where as other teams can start a prospect right away for a game or two in the NHL thus burning a year of their elc. It allows the prospect to reach their second contract earlier than if they signed a tryout deal this year and elc starting next season.

True and true above. I forgot most are ELCs.

TOHawkey

Mar 1, 2012
Kyle Fletcher seems to be having a nightmare season.

I'm not sure he'll get much attention now.

He's slowly rounding into form if Holy Cross goes deep in AHA playoffs perhaps attention will renew. He's had pts. in 7 of his last 8.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Well didnt see the article posted here, but here are the top collegiate free agents and who is "currently" interested in them.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/13844/top_collegiate_free_agents_drawing_nhl_interest/

Spencer Abbott, LW

Multiple teams, one known (Leafs)

J.T. Brown, RW
Sophomore, University of Minnesota-Duluth

25 NHL teams, two known (Wild and Flyers)

Jack Connolly, C
Senior, University of Minnesota-Duluth

Multiple teams, one known (Wild)

Dan DeKeyser, D
Sophomore, Western Michigan University

All 30 NHL teams, greatest interest (Leafs and Wings)

Brian Flynn, C

Several NHL teams, one known (Flyers)

Torey Krug, D
Junior, Michigan State University

Several teams made offers last season, one known (Hurricanes)

Jack MacLellan, C
Senior, Brown University

Several teams, two known (Blackhawks and Predators)

Chris Rawlings, G
Junior, Northeastern University

Several teams, three known (Jackets (made offer last season), Flyers (made offer last season) and Stars)

Jeremy Welsh, C/W
Junior, Union College

Several teams, two known (Blackhawks and Rangers)

Mark Zengerle, C
Sophomore, University of Wisconsin

More teams continue to become interested one known (Leafs)

Five others notable mentions

Did you know much about the honorable mentions, particularly Cal Heeter and Eriah Hayes?

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Did you know much about the honorable mentions, particularly Cal Heeter and Eriah Hayes?

From what I can gather, Hayes is a big power-forward type of player, who most likely will be a guy who can play on the 3rd/4th line, get a good amount of hits, and get into the corners and do the dirty work. I can't see him putting up a lot of points, since he seems more of the hard-working type of player. I think he has a better chance of making the NHL compared to other players, for he would know his role as a 6'3, 6'4 power forward. I think he will sign with the Blackhawks in the end. They seem to like him a lot, even helping him decide how to change his game up for the pro level.

Cal Heeter is harder to judge because, college goalies are hard to read. Depending on the conference and system the team plays, he could be a total product of the system, or be the guy carrying the team. I honestly dont know to much about Ohio's system. That being said, he was voted the 6th best goalie out of 11 teams last season by the coaches.

EDIT: Read more about him. Ohio seems to be in a "rebuilding" stage but Heeter has won them some big games. On the other hand though, he did lose some while not playing the best (gave up 5 goals on 13 shots against Miami)

In the end, I see him getting an AHL tryout in the next few weeks (cant see Ohio going to far in the playoffs)

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Ty Loney has a great size, baby-faced so he could still grow.

Joey LeLeggia could be taken in the 2012 draft as an overager. Kid is great.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
On the NESN broadcast today (between UNH & Maine), color commentator Craig Janney made mention that he was talking to TOR scouts prior to the game at the arena, regarding Brian Flynn.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Hopefully the Flyers get Brown, DeKeyser, Flynn and Rawlings. As we saw with Read and his 900k one way deal, they are not shy about winning a bidding war if they believe in someone.

Dekeyser is almost a lock to sign with the Wings. He was in their prospect camp last season, they recently hired his former head coach as an assistant, and he's known Jim Nill for most of his life.

I could see them getting in on Connolly and Brown too, but I have no doubt in my mind that Danny is going to sign with the Red Wings.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I don't want to start a new thread about it so i'll ask the question here. How much would a D2 NJ league get scouted? We have a kid here in Northern NJ that absolutely destroys D2. Everyone questions how their team got him. IMO he's easily better than some of the better prospects that are/were NJ based.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Zurevinski will not be an NHL player. Possibly AHL, but he takes a lot of really dumb penalties and just doesn't create any offense for Quinnipiac. He does have really good size and does hit well, but sometimes his hitting takes him out of position and doesn't get back in time to help out. A little bit of a hot head too, but this is a very close team, they like to defend each other a lot and he is the captain.

If you're basing your observations just on this season, then I'd agree with you for the most part. But in past years, Zurevinski has shown that he CAN create offense and did so at times this season. It was one reason why the Vancouver Canucks offered him a contract after his sophomore and junior seasons, and why they're still watching him.

odha: My bad. I was looking at FSU earlier in the season when they were splitting.

funky: What would you like to know about Olson?

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
If you're basing your observations just on this season, then I'd agree with you for the most part. But in past years, Zurevinski has shown that he CAN create offense and did so at times this season. It was one reason why the Vancouver Canucks offered him a contract after his sophomore and junior seasons, and why they're still watching him.

Yes, I was talking about this year. I'm a sophomore at Quinnipiac so I've only watched him this year and last year. Last year he was great. Physical and had pretty good offensive ability. But this year he's really been struggling. I hope he finds success and makes it to the NHL, but after watching him this year I'm not holding my breath. He's a great leader though, he definitely has that going for him.

Jeremy Hronek

Aug 18, 2009
chilliwack , bc

odha: My bad. I was looking at FSU earlier in the season when they were splitting.

funky: What would you like to know about Olson?
Are there any teams interested in him?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Drafted guys count???? they are not UFA's. Frattin was not a UFA.
Well they can choose not to sign with the team that drafted them if they don't have ELC's. Not likely, but possible. Justin Schultz can be added to that unlikely list.

ocarina

May 23, 2009
I don't want to start a new thread about it so i'll ask the question here. How much would a D2 NJ league get scouted? We have a kid here in Northern NJ that absolutely destroys D2. Everyone questions how their team got him. IMO he's easily better than some of the better prospects that are/were NJ based.

What's the name of the team he plays for, and what is the name of the league? I can't imagine the NHL scouts that area too much though.

odhaguy

Aug 6, 2007
Good call on Heeter Oilers Chick. Do you think Rawlings will sign soon or will he return for his senior season?

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Good call on Heeter Oilers Chick. Do you think Rawlings will sign soon or will he return for his senior season?

Well, we're hoping here at Northeastern that he signs somewhere, or else they may not be able to bring in the talented Jon Gillies. This is a tough call. Rawlings still has interest, but after the Flyers signed Heeter (A team that gave Rawlings an offer last year) things seem a but murky. I honestly think if he gets a decent offer he'll sign, but we're worrying here that he may want to come back for a senior year and prove he can be more consistent first, then get a better deal. If he does this it could ruin the next 4 years for Husky hockey. That being said, Rawlings may be under pressure to leave.We want the Gillies era to start here, and for Rawlings to find answers and continue his development in the minors. There's honestly not much more that can help him at Northeastern. He's a worthwhile project; he doesn't move as well as he should but he's shown flashes of brilliance throughout his career here. Good Rawlings is really freaking good and bad Rawlings is really bad.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Well, we're hoping here at Northeastern that he signs somewhere, or else they may not be able to bring in the talented Jon Gillies. This is a tough call. Rawlings still has interest, but after the Flyers signed Heeter (A team that gave Rawlings an offer last year) things seem a but murky. I honestly think if he gets a decent offer he'll sign, but we're worrying here that he may want to come back for a senior year and prove he can be more consistent first, then get a better deal. If he does this it could ruin the next 4 years for Husky hockey. That being said, Rawlings may be under pressure to leave.We want the Gillies era to start here, and for Rawlings to find answers and continue his development in the minors. There's honestly not much more that can help him at Northeastern. He's a worthwhile project; he doesn't move as well as he should but he's shown flashes of brilliance throughout his career here. Good Rawlings is really freaking good and bad Rawlings is really bad.

Rawlings was invited to the Habs development camp last summer, and they could be signing his teammate Steve Quailer this summer, plus the Habs sorely need to improve their goaltending depth so perhaps they will give him an offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->