Top Potential UFA NCAA Prospects this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Brickley and Rempal are both LA Kings now. That's a VERY good FA haul from NCAA. Lots of upside and very little risk.

Brady Keeper from U Maine interests me quite a bit. He's got size, skating ability, and a right hand shot. I know the Canucks are interested but I'm sure there are many others.

Has anyone had the chance to see him play?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Cale Morris not leaving for the NHL? Has there been any rumours on him thus far at all ?

Notre Dame is still in the Frozen Four, so the earliest that they could get eliminated is Thursday. Typically kids will try to concentrate on that before addressing any contract offers, albeit I'm sure his advisors would be aware. It can get a little tricky with the CBA. If he were to hypothetically sign Thursday, he'd either have a three year ELC which started right away (and he could burn the first year) or a two year ELC which starts next season. This is because Morris is 21 and the CBA defines that 18-21 year olds must sign 3 year ELCs and 22-23 year olds must sign 2 year ELCs.

So combine that with Notre Dame possibly being in the title game on Saturday and there might not be a ton of urgency to make a decision. We've seen guys like Drake Caggiula and Antoine Laganiere take a few weeks to decide where to sign. But those guys were also seniors. Morris could decide that he'd rather have another year in school rather than play in the AHL. He could return to school, turn pro next spring, and his free agency clock would/could start at the same time as signing now.

I think it would be understandable if he went back and got another year towards a degree (along with another year of college life), especially if there aren't necessarily a ton of benefits in terms of burning ELC years by signing now.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Notre Dame is still in the Frozen Four, so the earliest that they could get eliminated is Thursday. Typically kids will try to concentrate on that before addressing any contract offers, albeit I'm sure his advisors would be aware. It can get a little tricky with the CBA. If he were to hypothetically sign Thursday, he'd either have a three year ELC which started right away (and he could burn the first year) or a two year ELC which starts next season. This is because Morris is 21 and the CBA defines that 18-21 year olds must sign 3 year ELCs and 22-23 year olds must sign 2 year ELCs.

So combine that with Notre Dame possibly being in the title game on Saturday and there might not be a ton of urgency to make a decision. We've seen guys like Drake Caggiula and Antoine Laganiere take a few weeks to decide where to sign. But those guys were also seniors. Morris could decide that he'd rather have another year in school rather than play in the AHL. He could return to school, turn pro next spring, and his free agency clock would/could start at the same time as signing now.

I think it would be understandable if he went back and got another year towards a degree (along with another year of college life), especially if there aren't necessarily a ton of benefits in terms of burning ELC years by signing now.

Thanks for the great response!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thanks for the great response!

Teams also tend to be a little iffy about giving ELCs to guys with only one standout NCAA season; especially for a guy who has so much eligibility left and probably very well may not yet be ready for an AHL gig.

Either way I hope Sakic is talking to him whether he wants to go back for another year or not. We have some connections to that program and with Martin sputtering, there's a spot that's opened up in our goalie pipeline for someone Morris' age to come in and battle Martin/Werner for that AHL gig behind the injury prone Varly & career-backup Bernier.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Are there any updates on Morris? At this point the Frozen Four has been over for weeks. I haven't been able to find anything in terms of confirmation of going back to ND or turning pro.

ndmd99

Apr 9, 2018
Seems like no comment would lend itself to going back to ND.

As an ND fan, I'm not sleeping easy yet. I don't think there's a huge rush for Cale (or NHL teams) to make a decision. At this time a year ago, I thought Cal Petersen was coming back to ND. But then he announced his decision to leave at the end of May.

It's pure speculation, but I'm guessing the next news we hear about him will be which NHL developmental camp(s) he ends up at this summer. I think that'll be the best indication about which team(s) has/have the inside track (regardless of whether he signs this summer or holds off for another year).

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So there aren't any NHL ready guys leaving college who will be free agents?

The ones who were ready to leave for this upcoming season signed when their college seasons were over in April. For a handful of them, they could make their NHL debuts and/or burn a year off their entry level deals. Guys like Daniel Brickley/Zach Whitecloud got to suit up in the NHL. Other guys like Jordan Gross signed ELCs which start next year and signed an ATO (amateur tryout) to play in the AHL.

Generally if a college free agent hasn't signed by May, it's usually a good indicator that he's going back to school. We'll see a handful of guys change their minds. Trevor Moore signed with Toronto in July 2016 rather than return for his senior year. Ludwig Karlsson signed with Ottawa in July 2013 instead of going back for his senior year.

Depending on the year, there might be some drafted players who don't sign with their drafted teams. The team will hold their rights until August 15th. Will Butcher and Alex Kerfoot exercised that option last year. Not sure if there are any "big" names doing that this season. Calgary drafted Brandon Hickey but traded his rights to Arizona last summer. From the sounds of it, Hickey won't be signing with the Coyotes. So he'd potentially be a free agent in August, but I don't think he's NHL ready.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Depending on the year, there might be some drafted players who don't sign with their drafted teams. The team will hold their rights until August 15th. Will Butcher and Alex Kerfoot exercised that option last year. Not sure if there are any "big" names doing that this season. Calgary drafted Brandon Hickey but traded his rights to Arizona last summer. From the sounds of it, Hickey won't be signing with the Coyotes. So he'd potentially be a free agent in August, but I don't think he's NHL ready.

ARI: Jared Fiegl, Brandon Hickey
BUF: Judd Peterson (AHL deal), Max Willman
CBJ: Tyler Bird
DAL: Michael Prapavessis (ECHL deal)
EDM: Aidan Muir
LAK: Steven Johnson (AHL deal)
MIN: Avery Peterson
OTT: Shane Eiserman, Kelly Summers
PHI: Terrance Amorosa, David Drake (ECHL deal)
STL: Dwyer Tschantz (ECHL deal)
TBL: Jonathan MacLeod
TOR: Nolan Vesey
WPG: Jack Glover, Matt Ustaski (ECHL deal)

Willman, Vesey might get some interest, but I don't think either is an NHL player.
MacLeod was well scouted and liked at the draft. A team might give him another look.
Hickey is painting himself into a bit of a corner.
Amorosa and Summers had decent numbers as D. Don't know too much about Summers, but I've always liked Amorosa

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
ARI: Jared Fiegl, Brandon Hickey
BUF: Judd Peterson (AHL deal), Max Willman
CBJ: Tyler Bird
DAL: Michael Prapavessis (ECHL deal)
EDM: Aidan Muir
LAK: Steven Johnson (AHL deal)
MIN: Avery Peterson
OTT: Shane Eiserman, Kelly Summers
PHI: Terrance Amorosa, David Drake (ECHL deal)
STL: Dwyer Tschantz (ECHL deal)
TBL: Jonathan MacLeod
TOR: Nolan Vesey
WPG: Jack Glover, Matt Ustaski (ECHL deal)

Willman, Vesey might get some interest, but I don't think either is an NHL player.
MacLeod was well scouted and liked at the draft. A team might give him another look.
Hickey is painting himself into a bit of a corner.
Amorosa and Summers had decent numbers as D. Don't know too much about Summers, but I've always liked Amorosa
Maccloud and Hickey both played at BU last season......very interesting

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ben Brinkman leaving Edina High School one year early to go to the Gophers. Will help make up for Sammy Walker no longer going there, though they play different positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad