Top Potential UFA NCAA Prospects this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
NCAA goalies - last year Nagle (Tampa Bay/Ferris State) and Kinkaid (New Jersey/Union) were the only free agent signings by NHL teams. Nagle was a senior and Kinkaid a sophomore.

Here are senior free agents graduating this year (who have played at least 33% of time this year), not sure about NHL interest for them:

Greenham (Alaska)
Nelson (Ferris State)
Strang (Mercyhurst)
Oostergard (Robert Morris)
Madolora (RIT)
Beaudry (Providence)
Heeter (Ohio State)
Hunwick (Michigan)
Bakala (Bemidji)
Reiter (UMD)
Mello (Dartmouth)
Madore (Vermont)
Morrison (Canisius)
Faulkner (UNO)
Di Girolomo (UNH)
Reichard (Miami)
Lee (Minnesota State)
Caple (Air Force)
Ellingson (Northern Michigan)
Clemente (Brown)
Noonan (Niagara)
Palmisano (Michigan State)
Robinson (Michigan Tech)

Seniors already drafted:

Cannata (Vancouver/Merrimack)
Patterson (Colorado/Minnesota)
Millan (Colorado/Boston University)
Karpowich (St. Louis/Clarkson)
Knapp (Buffalo/Miami)
Eidsness (Buffalo/North Dakota)

Would imagine there are a fair number of goalies with eligibility left receiveing interest - Grosenick (Union), Coreau (Northern Michigan), Kapalka (Lake Superior), Rawlings (Northeastern) to name a few.

Greenham (UAF) got a lot of interest last season, but his play (and numbers) are well off last season. Also, if Hunwick were a few inches taller, I think NHL teams would be lining up to sign him at season's end.

The two goalies getting the most NHL interest (that I can tell and have heard) are Chris Rawlings and Cal Heeter. Of the two, Rawlings is getting the lion's share of interest. Both are big goalies that have shown that they can come up big in games.

FYI, two players on your list are no longer their respective starting goalies. DiGiorlamo lost the starting job to Casey DeSmith at UNH. DiGiorlamo wasn't able to pick up from where he left off last season.

Ryan Massa is the new #1 @UNO, he's been better and more consistent than Faulkner.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I'll see if I can answer some player questions for you all (especially since I've seen them all). If I miss one, please forgive me and let me know.

Sustr: A very big kid that thrives in the physical game. He just loves to pound opponents. The problem is he needs to be smarter about it. What I mean here is that he has often taken himself out of plays to deliver those crushing checks. If he can pick his spots better, he'll be even more effective. Not the prettiest skater, but gets around the rink well. He can fire the biscuit too, although he is not very accurate (yet).

Pereira: He's one of favorite undrafted players out of Hockey East and frankly I'm surprised that he wasn't drafted when he was eligible. Terrific speed, hands and vision. He's just a lot of fun to watch. He's also very good in supporting his team's defensive corps as well.

Zengerle: Aside from Justin Schultz, Zengerle has been Wisconsin's best and most consistent player. Great playmaker with really nice hands. He does a good job of threading the needle (read that passing to teammates). He'll score goals, but if he sees that it's better to make a pass than shoot, he will. He's just smart that way. His skating is also very good.

Young: I've been high on this kid since I first saw him with UNO last season. Great, powerful skater. Has poise with the puck and moves it really well. He also doesn't mind getting his nose dirty. Unlike Sustr, Young is smarter about when he wants to make those big hits. He sees time on UNO's PP too. I guess he could best described as a solid puck-moving defenseman.

Laleggia: Someone asked about his skating. He's very quick. He's kind of a little water bug out there when he's skating up the ice with the puck. Can dart through (and around traffic). But he's also on the small size (about 5'9" or 5'10"). He's really fun to watch and his puck-moving skills are pretty darn good.

odhaguy

Aug 6, 2007
Greenham (UAF) got a lot of interest last season, but his play (and numbers) are well off last season. Also, if Hunwick were a few inches taller, I think NHL teams would be lining up to sign him at season's end.

The two goalies getting the most NHL interest (that I can tell and have heard) are Chris Rawlings and Cal Heeter. Of the two, Rawlings is getting the lion's share of interest. Both are big goalies that have shown that they can come up big in games.

FYI, two players on your list are no longer their respective starting goalies. DiGiorlamo lost the starting job to Casey DeSmith at UNH. DiGiorlamo wasn't able to pick up from where he left off last season.

Ryan Massa is the new #1 @UNO, he's been better and more consistent than Faulkner.

Yes I know Di Girolomo and Faulkner aren't starting right now, was just listing graduating goalies who have played at least 33% of time so far.

Would guess that many of these goalies have already been to NHL development camps. Greenham has proved he is a good player over 4 years. Often a change in a goalie's statistics is in direct correlation to how the team is playing.

Rawlings has been to quite a few development camps already for different teams.

Surprised to hear that Heeter would be getting more interest than Grosenick (Union), Coreau (Northern Michigan), Kapalka (Lake Superior).

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
I know this thread is asking about UFA prospects, but I see some people are talking about already drafted propects.

Let me just say that Alex Killorn is someone to really keep an eye on next year.

monkeywrench

May 11, 2010
Edmonton
I know this a little off topic, but doesn anyone know if in a year or two Tanner Fritz will get some considerations by NHL teams

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Does anyone think Shane Madolora will get NHL interest?

He's older(25 yo) and not big(5'10'' 175lbs), but he's putting up some crazy numbers.

1.91 GAA/.932SV% this year.

1.93 GAA/.935SV% last year.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Does anybody have some information on Sebastian Stålberg?

from another thread on him, I describe him as:

he's a lot different than Viktor, comparing their NCAA careers. Viktor dominated college hockey with his speed, his speed and body size combined, as well as his shot. sebastian is more slow of foot (when compared to viktor), doesn't have the dynamic offensive skills, is a kick-ass face-off man, and seems to be more of a in the zone type of player rather than one that plays through the zones like viktor.

vermont has been so bad this year as well as offensively challenged during sebastian's tenure there it's hard to really gauge him, but I think he could be a decent pro.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
What kind of a player is he? Any NHL comparables? Does he need more time or do you think he can compete in the NHL right away?

Hes a big body that can score in any fashion. Hes a big game, big moment player. Clutch. Has good skating ability for his size, and has good hands and a great shot.

He was offered a pro contract from TB last year but decided to finish school and graduate. He graduates this year and Im sure will sign the contract now. I wouldnt be surprised one bit if he made TB out of camp. ESPECIALLY, if they move Malone.

Overall projection I could see him as a 1st/2nd line tweener that can put up 50-60 points a season. Hes a very smart player as well.

Hes really underrated IMO, and has a lot to bring to the table.

Its hard for me to think of any comparables, Ive never been good at that. :laugh:

odhaguy

Aug 6, 2007
Oilers Chick - have you heard anything from scouts about G Taylor Nelson of Ferris State? He's having a great year for the number 1 team in the nation and is a senior.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Does Calof have a chance? Led Princeton at just over a PPG as a 19 year old. This year he's scoring at a lower pace but has more goals. Still leading the team in scoring this year.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Oilers Chick - have you heard anything from scouts about G Taylor Nelson of Ferris State? He's having a great year for the number 1 team in the nation and is a senior.

Not much. My guess is that one reason being he been splitting time with freshman C.J. Motte, who's been playing as well as Nelson.

In answer to the question about Andrew Calof, he's getting some interest but not a lot. I will say this though, if he continues to progress like he has, he'll make it difficult for NHL teams to ignore him.

odhaguy

Aug 6, 2007
Nelson has played twice as much as Motte and has played all the games in the new year except for two.

ot92s

Nov 5, 2011
how about the top two scorers in hockey east?
both are seniors from U-Maine, Spencer Abbott & Bryan Flynn. Abbott is a very controlled and "sneaky" playmaker, Flynn is good at creating his own shot and at times can impose his will on defenders. Of the two I would give flynn the edge in the "eyeball test". neither were drafted. weird.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
how about the top two scorers in hockey east?
both are seniors from U-Maine, Spencer Abbott & Bryan Flynn. Abbott is a very controlled and "sneaky" playmaker, Flynn is good at creating his own shot and at times can impose his will on defenders. Of the two I would give flynn the edge in the "eyeball test". neither were drafted. weird.

They'll get signed. They're both undersized and overage (23 yrs old, Abbott more undersized), and as you mentioned, seniors. You'll see this a lot with players in their senior year, and these two have really developed into special players. Similar to Camper (just got called up to Bruins) and Miele from Miami-Ohio.

Johnstarks

Feb 4, 2008
So as of today, who do you guys think is the biggest fish in the pound to be signed as a FA?

JT Brown?
Dan DeKeyser?
Sustr?
Zangerle?

ot92s

Nov 5, 2011
They'll get signed. They're both undersized and overage (23 yrs old, Abbott more undersized), and as you mentioned, seniors. You'll see this a lot with players in their senior year, and these two have really developed into special players. Similar to Camper (just got called up to Bruins) and Miele from Miami-Ohio.

yeah, i've seen miele play live in the ncaa and a couple times in the ahl. he really jumps out at you when playing at those levels. undersized, not too fast, but man what hands...

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Zurevinski will not be an NHL player. Possibly AHL, but he takes a lot of really dumb penalties and just doesn't create any offense for Quinnipiac. He does have really good size and does hit well, but sometimes his hitting takes him out of position and doesn't get back in time to help out. A little bit of a hot head too, but this is a very close team, they like to defend each other a lot and he is the captain.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
what are the chances the wild can sign both connolly and brown? they are obviously teamates and have a former teamate playin for houston aeros. i would love if the hometown kids stayed and played for the wild, with their friends too

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Well didnt see the article posted here, but here are the top collegiate free agents and who is "currently" interested in them.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/13844/top_collegiate_free_agents_drawing_nhl_interest/

Spencer Abbott, LW
Senior, University of Maine

Multiple teams, one known (Leafs)

J.T. Brown, RW
Sophomore, University of Minnesota-Duluth

25 NHL teams, two known (Wild and Flyers)

Jack Connolly, C
Senior, University of Minnesota-Duluth

Multiple teams, one known (Wild)

Dan DeKeyser, D
Sophomore, Western Michigan University

All 30 NHL teams, greatest interest (Leafs and Wings)

Brian Flynn, C
Senior, University of Maine

Several NHL teams, one known (Flyers)

Torey Krug, D
Junior, Michigan State University

Several teams made offers last season, one known (Hurricanes)

Jack MacLellan, C
Senior, Brown University

Several teams, two known (Blackhawks and Predators)

Chris Rawlings, G
Junior, Northeastern University

Several teams, three known (Jackets (made offer last season), Flyers (made offer last season) and Stars)

Jeremy Welsh, C/W
Junior, Union College

Several teams, two known (Blackhawks and Rangers)

Mark Zengerle, C
Sophomore, University of Wisconsin

More teams continue to become interested one known (Leafs)

Five others notable mentions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad